Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My last nightmare began with being buried alive ten feet deep and the smell of the earth within that tiny claustrophobic pitch black coffin and my panic as I realized that my screams were going nowhere. That immediately shifted into falling out of the space shuttle just after re-entry, and falling towards earth from so high that I could see the curvature of the earth and the glint of the sun shining on the ocean, and realizing that there was absolutely nothing I could do to save myself. More screaming that would never be heard.
OK, so you had a perfectly normal work related dream...

The work-related dreams/nightmares lasted a bit over a year for me. I haven't had one in several months, so I figure I'm well into recovery.

When working back at FruitCo as a software hack, I used to dream algorithms and software bugs. Yeah, THAT was restful. Still, there were a couple of occasions where I'd wake up at 4 AM, run downstairs, change code in response to a dream, and by 5:30 or 6 AM I'd be checking in a fix to a problem that had eluded me for days. That was just weird.

I'm enjoying sleeping through the night these days. Just think. In a few weeks you can start in on the same experience.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Not so crazy after all...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not so crazy after all...

Glad to hear that others have the same dreams... I still occasionally dream about showing up to a test without having studied, forgetting where the class is held, forgetting a locker combo, etc and it's been 30 years since grad school. DW says she never has one of those. Funny thing - I don't remember dreaming about work. Maybe I was more stressed about school? Doesn't seem likely.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I still have work-related dreams 8 years after retiring. Several dreams take the form of returning to a work environment and finding all the offices have been moved around and I can't find mine.

The dreams seem to happen more often when I've been inactive during the daytime. The busier I am during the day and the more new experiences I have, the less I dream about work and the distant past in general.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thankfully, no. I recall a few in my first months, then maybe some more, but none I can remember now. Theez eez good.
I see former co-w*rkers every week at Chinese buffet. They have to go back to the salt mines while I am savoring dessert with my fully retired adopted bro.
I think that weekly reinforcement keeps my subconscious happy.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
Administrator

Normally my dreams (when working) are very normal, drab dreams about work, going through what I need to do the next day, and so on. It's as though I have to work twice. I don't always get much escape in my dreams.

But recently I have been using up my vacation time prior to retirement, and my dreams are becoming less work related and more lively. I really like being able to get away from work for a change! For example I dreamed that I was playing solitaire, but the face cards were real people, reminiscent of those animated playing cards in Alice in Wonderland. They were carrying on conversations among themselves and with me while I played. That was certainly entertaining.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I tend towards lucid dreaming so I told myself to wake up and did.
read somewhere that from a lucid dream, you can direct your "consciousness" to actual physical locations outside of your inner dream world...like an out of body experience
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
read somewhere that from a lucid dream, you can direct your "consciousness" to actual physical locations outside of your inner dream world...like an out of body experience
For me, it's just knowing (while I'm dreaming) that this is a dream. I can manipulate the dream, or awaken myself, but that's about it. I don't know how to do an out of body experience while dreaming. Most, but not all, of my dreaming is lucid.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For me, it's just knowing (while I'm dreaming) that this is a dream. I can manipulate the dream, or awaken myself, but that's about it. I don't know how to do an out of body experience while dreaming. Most, but not all, of my dreaming is lucid.
if you are curious, from lucidity, you could focus or concentrate on someone close to you, but who does not live with you, to see if your consciousness moves to their physical location. Apparently, this is supposed to be easy from the lucid state.

you could then note some of the things that you might see in the house of that person, like, brown cup on coffee table....then call the person the next day and ask them if there is or was brown cup on the coffee table, thinking in terms of things that are not in place when you are visiting normalwise.

IF you were able to confirm for yourself that your consciousness can separate from your body in this way, well, you would know something pretty interesting

not something I have done myself, just read about. I do realise this is kooky stuff.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
if you are curious, from lucidity, you could focus or concentrate on someone close to you, but who does not live with you, to see if your consciousness moves to their physical location. Apparently, this is supposed to be easy from the lucid state.

you could then note some of the things that you might see in the house of that person, like, brown cup on coffee table....then call the person the next day and ask them if there is or was brown cup on the coffee table, thinking in terms of things that are not in place when you are visiting normalwise.

IF you were able to confirm for yourself that your consciousness can separate from your body in this way, well, you would know something pretty interesting

not something I have done myself, just read about. I do realise this is kooky stuff.
It might be interesting. I don't care if it sounds kooky. Thanks for the idea, and I will give it some thought.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, everyday. Why do you think you see me post at 3 to 4 AM? I would go to sleep, and then wake up thinking about the political battle ahead such as my all-time-favorite: person bitches for an hour about having to attend a 30 minute meeting in which actual work gets done because it's the only time to get 2 distant teams together to hash out use cases and APIs. Of course, the said bitching always has to occur within the ear shot of the big boss just to show how "with it" said bitching person is. Fun.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I have those along with the nightmares of "recalled to active duty" and "have to go serve more restriction for all your college demerits".
Reminds me of the joke letter we sent to a popular Sgt. after he retired and moved to Williamsburg, VA. On letterhead stationery we told him that he'd been recalled (which they can do in some dire emergency) and that his worst nightmare had been promoted to station commander.

He later said that he had to read it three times before he realized it was a joke.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...For example I dreamed that I was playing solitaire, but the face cards were real people, reminiscent of those animated playing cards in Alice in Wonderland. They were carrying on conversations among themselves and with me while I played. That was certainly entertaining.
Nice dream W2r. I wish I could recall such a cool dream though I might have had some. Sounds like one of those well done video graphics commercials.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I am still working and so I have work dreams almost every day, I have to get up and watch TV or surf to clear my mind. I expect that to persist for a while after I quit.

But DW tells me, 'they'll go away but you'll always worry about something, probably running out of money will replace your work bad dreams.' I forget why I married her (JOKING!!!)?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Happy to know others have similar work dreams/nightmares.

The recurring dream/nightmare I have is that I'm still working away at the office. Others in my workgroup most recently before I FIRE'd or some from past years are there. In the dream/nightmare I realized, I haven't entered my timesheet for months. Also I've been working but not on the payroll, just volunteering to "help out" the megacorp. Finally, I relalize, "I'm retired! Free, don't need this anymore"

Sometimes I wake up depressed, thinking "oh my, that was vivid" other times I wake up happy, thinking, "that was then, this is now..I'm retired!"
Old 10-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I often had those 'back at work' dreams at first, but they eventually tapered off. I have them occasionally but realize very quickly that I really am retired.
(I also sometimes do lucid dreaming)

The dreams of being naked in public, trying to find a final exam for a course I never attended, trying desperately to try to write something important but not being able to, all the stress dreams... tapered off.

I still sometimes have the dream about not being able to find my car, but realize that it is a re4current dream and wake up.

Also stopped clenching/grinding my teeth.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I have only been ER'd 10 days and had a vivid work dream. I dreamed I got up--went to work--and was working away in my cubicle. After a couple of hours someone walked by and said, "Hey, aren't you retired?"
Can't say I ever had those dreams but then again I was never confined to a cubicle either. I sort of enjoyed my career for what it was and am enjoying the afterlife for what it is. Come to think of it, I just don't dream much
Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

I also had the "forgot to take a final exam, or didn't do the required course work to pass a class and get my degree" Had them for years, well after college and into my career. I wish someone could interpret this dream, would be interesting. Oh and since I ER'd / Switched roles with the wife four years ago the dreams went away, must have been some Megacorp overload related thing.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll go on record as saying I used to have really heavy cold sweat/heart pounding and racing dreams about having to take an exam at school and worrying that I might not be ready, which to me at that stage of my life meant making an A on a test. This went on for probably 10 years or more after graduating.
And in the first couple years of starting the ad agency, I'd wake up in a cold sweat/heart racing and pounding in the middle of the night during the deadline period and start reciting to myself what I needed to do the next day. One night about 2:30 am I did this and said, "It's 2:30 AM in the morning. What the h*ll can I do about this NOW?" And, for some reason, those remarks to myself took hold and the waking up stopped. Never had another problem during the next 14 years.
I'm not very anxiety ridden either, so I can't imagine what folks who are go thru. Ohh...to be a sociopath where nothing bothers you...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so glad to hear that others have had this type ...and I am also glad to hear that for most people they eventually taper off!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I am so glad to hear that others have had this type ...and I am also glad to hear that for most people they eventually taper off!
What you remember may taper off but I've read that we typically have 4 to 6 dreams per night. Probably only remember a fraction of those dreams. So you could be in a Twilight Zone mode for some time .