Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Work is enough of a nightmare that I don't need to fill my quota while I am asleep...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Well, I still have w*rk dreams. But one I had last night was a bit different. Usually, my dream would be that I'm still w*rking, volunteering to help out, then realize that I'm retired.

The one I had last night, I was looking for my cubicle one one of my first supervisors says that there isn't a cubicle for me.

Maybe that's progress...and w*rk life is more in the rear view mirror?
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I have had occasional work dreams so far, though surprisingly few. I dream that there are problems, tough situations and my replacement and supervisor are unsure of how to handle this. They are so glad and relieved to see me and ply me with a barrage of worried questions about what I recommend that they do.

I laugh in a reassuring way, trying to defuse the panic, remind them of the big picture, tell them that they are overthinking this, and that really all they have to do is (whatever it is that I would do in that situation).

On reflection when alone in my cubicle I realize that although they aren't handling things quite the same way I would, still nothing has blown up in their faces and they are learning. So, I smile and bid them farewell, knowing all will be fine. Sort of.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
.... snip............The one I had last night, I was looking for my cubicle one one of my first supervisors says that there isn't a cubicle for me.
I'm in yr # 8 of ER, and still occasionally have a work dream. Almost always the same format... I'm looking for my desk, I finally find it shoved off in a corner, blocked in by other desks in a big room loaded with desks and people. My stuff is gone, chair is gone, etc., and no one pays me any attention. It's like I've been burgled, marginalized, cast out.

I have had one other work dream though. I'm in a conference room, a big problem has come up, people are coming up with ridiculous solutions to it (No, I did NOT work at the TSA ). I'm getting worked up about it, nobody seems to be listening, and then it starts to dawn on me that I'm retired, it doesn't matter, why am I there at all? And the dream fades with me in good shape. I'd like to have this dream supercede the other one!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have had occasional work dreams so far, though surprisingly few. I dream that there are problems, tough situations and my replacement and supervisor are unsure of how to handle this. They are so glad and relieved to see me and ply me with a barrage of worried questions about what I recommend that they do.
Hey that was the dream I had last night and I'm into my 3rd year.
Other dreams are that I'm on a deadline and new equipment arrives for intallationl that won't fit therefore I have to modify but there's not enough time to do it. If I don't there is a huge penalty and my boss get's fired and I'm ..................well let's not go there.

When will these dreams stop and my DW can't understand why I'm still having them.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I'm in yr # 8 of ER, and still occasionally have a work dream. Almost always the same format... I'm looking for my desk, I finally find it shoved off in a corner, blocked in by other desks in a big room loaded with desks and people. My stuff is gone, chair is gone, etc., and no one pays me any attention. It's like I've been burgled, marginalized, cast out.

I have had one other work dream though. I'm in a conference room, a big problem has come up, people are coming up with ridiculous solutions to it (No, I did NOT work at the TSA ). I'm getting worked up about it, nobody seems to be listening, and then it starts to dawn on me that I'm retired, it doesn't matter, why am I there at all? And the dream fades with me in good shape. I'd like to have this dream supercede the other one!
I still have this one occasionally.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Hey that was the dream I had last night and I'm into my 3rd year.
Hey, what can I say? I guess I am having advanced ER dreams already. I've always been a quick study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Other dreams are that I'm on a deadline and new equipment arrives for intallationl that won't fit therefore I have to modify but there's not enough time to do it. If I don't there is a huge penalty and my boss get's fired and I'm ..................well let's not go there.
I haven't been having those, fortunately. Sounds awful.
Quote:
When will these dreams stop and my DW can't understand why I'm still having them.
You are still letting go. There's nothing wrong with that. Our careers are a big part of our lives for years.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

It will be 3 years for me in April 2010. I can't remember any w*rk dreams for months and months and months...now watch, I just jinxed myself and I'll probably have one tonight.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't think these sort of dreams ever end entirely. I've been out of college for 40 years and last night I had a nightmare about not being able to locate the building or classroom where I was supposed to take my English final....
Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't think these sort of dreams ever end entirely. I've been out of college for 40 years and last night I had a nightmare about not being able to locate the building or classroom where I was supposed to take my English final....
That really HAPPENED to me on my Thermodynamics final. I had to drop my daughter off right before the final so I knew that I did not have a second to spare, and then I could not find a parking place. Once I found one, and hiked across campus I had a hard time finding the building and room. I was running around like an idiot looking everywhere for it and asking strangers if they had an exam schedule on them. One did, so I finally found out where to go.

This was like a nightmare in so many ways - - time slowed down, there was no end to my search, and even when I knew the room number the exam was in a basement room with a separate entrance that I couldn't find so I was running around in the *other* basement and finding nothing, nothing, nothing anywhere.

I was significantly late by the time I found the room - - maybe 45 minutes or an hour. The professor let me stay 5-10 minutes late while he collected the exams, but I was so frazzled by that time that it didn't help and people were coming in to take the next exam for another class. There went my "A", and actually I was relieved to get a "B" for that tough class under the circumstances.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That really HAPPENED to me on my Thermodynamics final.

There went my "A", and actually I was relieved to get a "B" for that tough class under the circumstances.
Good grief. I can't even spell Thermodinamycs...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good grief. I can't even spell Thermodinamycs...
Well, you probably did better in English than I did, too.

Thermodynamics was a lot of fun (to me).

Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, you probably did better in English than I did, too.

Thermodynamics was a lot of fun (to me).
I enjoyed my Thermo class. Let's see, that was maybe 42 years ago. Can't remember any of that stuff ... do you think that has something to do with entropy?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Those dreams also tapered off after retirement.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Had one of those dreams last night, thanks to this thread (retired 3.5 years).
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

I had an awful work nightmare last night, perhaps my first.

I dreamed that for some reason, Frank and I were strolling in to my work at about 8:30 AM. There were at least TWENTY people partying in my small office, and some short girl I didn't know was on my computer. She wouldn't get off, either, until I physically disconnected the CRT. I dragged her to the door, shook my finger in her face, and yelled at her, "If you EVER do that again..." while the other twenty were leaving. After all were gone I realized that there was no way to keep any of them out of my office unless I wanted to get there earlier.

This followed another very brief dream in which my first supervisor (hideous and awful, supplanted during my last few working years by my best friend who was a great supervisor) approached me in the parking lot at work with Christmas cards that she wanted me to deliver in person to (now former) co-workers for her, when she could have easily used inter-office mail. She was saying things like, "Is so-and-so's office near yours?" and I didn't know but said "Yes" just to shut her up.

How odd that it has taken this long for work issues to surface in nightmares.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
How odd that it has taken this long for work issues to surface in nightmares.
All my bad dreams about w*rk happened during my years of employment (yes - there were many). Since I've retired (almost 3 years ) I have not had a "bad dream" related to my previous "journey".

I guess I was ready to retire, and leave my "bad dreams" behind.....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can anybody kindly explain to me why I dream about work day in and day out? This has been going on almost from the day I retired....and itīs gonna be five years of ER next April!!
And, of course, in all of those dreams I make an ass of myself/make absurd mistakes/am bossed around.....even though in some of my dreams I know that I am retired and donīt have to put up with all that s**t....
Is it some kind of Post Traumatic Disorder?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wahoo, Old Main burned to the ground years ago, but maybe you went to a different school.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Can anybody kindly explain to me why I dream about work day in and day out? This has been going on almost from the day I retired....and itīs gonna be five years of ER next April!!
And, of course, in all of those dreams I make an ass of myself/make absurd mistakes/am bossed around.....even though in some of my dreams I know that I am retired and donīt have to put up with all that s**t....
Is it some kind of Post Traumatic Disorder?
Oh...bless your heart! I can't imagine dreaming about work all of the time.

Since your DW is still working, I assume she's stressed at times and you feel it. Or could it be you're watching the news too much? I try to avoid news as much as I can as it always stresses me out.