Work Dream/Nightmare

FIYes

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have only been ER'd 10 days and had a vivid work dream. I dreamed I got up--went to work--and was working away in my cubicle. After a couple of hours someone walked by and said, "Hey, aren't you retired?"

In my dream I forgot that I had retired and went to work! I then started wondering (in my dream), how I got in the building since I turned in my badge! LOL Good to wake up and realize that it was only a dream

You'll get these dreams for a while though they get less frequent with time. Enjoy them - yet another benefit of being ER'd.

For me, I'm usually starting some new, complicated job. I still have the "back in school and forgot to go to class all semester" dreams, so I think the work dreams will persist for me.

I had a few dreams about work after I retired.

Now I dream about ER forum members...:blink:

Yep - I had those "How come I'm back at work, I thought I was retired!" dreams for years. They are much less frequent, but I still have one occasionally.

Audrey

For me, I'm usually starting some new, complicated job. I still have the "back in school and forgot to go to class all semester" dreams, so I think the work dreams will persist for me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Also for those who think the dreams are less persistent, do you really remember all your dreams? Are you sure if the answer is yes? Personally I only recall a small percentage of dreams and generally the memory will just float away if I don't make a concious effort to recall them. My wife writes many of hers down and claims this allows here to recall many more dreams.

Here is a link to remembering dreams suggestions: How to Remember Dreams - wikiHow
Personally I'm kind of rebelling at the thought of doing this sort of thing, seems too much like work :nonono:

I still have the "back in school and forgot to go to class all semester" dreams, so I think the work dreams will persist for me.
I have those along with the nightmares of "recalled to active duty" and "have to go serve more restriction for all your college demerits".

Yep - I had those "How come I'm back at work, I thought I was retired!" dreams for years. They are much less frequent, but I still have one occasionally.

Audrey
Me too. And in those dreams I´m being scolded, too.

Those are the worst. Those dreams usually occurred to me during heavy credit load semesters. There were so many classes and labs that after the first two weeks you almost have to wonder even when you are awake if you really did forget to go to a class.

Hey, I still have dreams about being in high school and college -- that I've suddenly remembered that I've skipped a class or two for a month or more, and then I forget my locker combo in high school...

BBB: Tell me I am one of those memebers....:cool:
Well not yet. But now that you've put the thought in my head...I feel one comin' on....;)

I dream a lot about houses. Maybe I'll dream about a house filled with forum members...Toga! Toga! Toga!

Hey, I still have dreams about being in high school and college -- that I've suddenly remembered that I've skipped a class or two for a month or more, and then I forget my locker combo in high school...

I get those locker combination dreams too. I forget my locker number or I forget the combination. I go to the registrar's office to get the info and then find out I didn't register for classes . . .

Hey, does anyone else have the "uh-oh, final exam, forgot to study" dream where you realize, "I'm XX years old, I already graduated in XXXX, and I really don't give a $#!+ about this exam anyway! Now, where did I park my car?"

After retirement, I'm sure I'll dream that the presentation is in one hour, I forgot to do the Power Point, and then I'll say, "Whoa! These other suckers may have to sit here and listen, but I'm retired, so I can talk about anything I want to!"

Well not yet. But now that you've put the thought in my head...I feel one comin' on....;)

I dream a lot about houses. Maybe I'll dream about a house filled with forum members...Toga! Toga! Toga!

If I were to be invited in your dreams my wife insists on Claudia chaperoning me.... Don´´t know if you´ll have room for her given her outrageous size....
img_863600_0_5a3b8eb3bafe6c7c807ab080bb1a9efd.jpg

Hey, does anyone else have the "uh-oh, final exam, forgot to study" dream where you realize, "I'm XX years old, I already graduated in XXXX, and I really don't give a $#!+ about this exam anyway! Now, where did I park my car?"

After retirement, I'm sure I'll dream that the presentation is in one hour, I forgot to do the Power Point, and then I'll say, "Whoa! These other suckers may have to sit here and listen, but I'm retired, so I can talk about anything I want to!"
Yes, my guess is that if you're troubled by a dream, it can be very effective to think conciously about what you'd like to do if confronted by that dream again. Like shooting the guy who's pursuing you in the dream :).

You guys have such gentle, subtle nightmares. My last nightmare began with being buried alive ten feet deep and the smell of the earth within that tiny claustrophobic pitch black coffin and my panic as I realized that my screams were going nowhere. That immediately shifted into falling out of the space shuttle just after re-entry, and falling towards earth from so high that I could see the curvature of the earth and the glint of the sun shining on the ocean, and realizing that there was absolutely nothing I could do to save myself. More screaming that would never be heard. I tend towards lucid dreaming so I told myself to wake up and did.

I think that at dinner, before falling asleep, I ate something too spicy. :LOL: I got up, drank a glass of skim milk, and was fine for the rest of the night.

I have occasionally dreamt that OPM lost my retirement application after my last day at work, and I had surrendered my badge during the exit clearance so I couldn't get back into my workplace to get things straightened out. That was not much of a nightmare, though.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone admit to dreams about that cute little receptionist who started at mega-corp a week before you RE'd. What might have been had you had to work another six months?:blush:

My last nightmare began with being buried alive ten feet deep and the smell of the earth within that tiny claustrophobic pitch black coffin and my panic as I realized that my screams were going nowhere. That immediately shifted into falling out of the space shuttle just after re-entry, and falling towards earth from so high that I could see the curvature of the earth and the glint of the sun shining on the ocean, and realizing that there was absolutely nothing I could do to save myself. More screaming that would never be heard.

OK, so you had a perfectly normal work related dream... :whistle:

The work-related dreams/nightmares lasted a bit over a year for me. I haven't had one in several months, so I figure I'm well into recovery.

When working back at FruitCo as a software hack, I used to dream algorithms and software bugs. :nonono: Yeah, THAT was restful. Still, there were a couple of occasions where I'd wake up at 4 AM, run downstairs, change code in response to a dream, and by 5:30 or 6 AM I'd be checking in a fix to a problem that had eluded me for days. That was just weird.

I'm enjoying sleeping through the night these days. Just think. In a few weeks you can start in on the same experience. ;)

Not so crazy after all...

Glad to hear that others have the same dreams... I still occasionally dream about showing up to a test without having studied, forgetting where the class is held, forgetting a locker combo, etc and it's been 30 years since grad school. DW says she never has one of those. Funny thing - I don't remember dreaming about work. Maybe I was more stressed about school? Doesn't seem likely.

I still have work-related dreams 8 years after retiring. Several dreams take the form of returning to a work environment and finding all the offices have been moved around and I can't find mine.

The dreams seem to happen more often when I've been inactive during the daytime. The busier I am during the day and the more new experiences I have, the less I dream about work and the distant past in general.

Thankfully, no. I recall a few in my first months, then maybe some more, but none I can remember now. Theez eez good. :cool:
I see former co-w*rkers every week at Chinese buffet. They have to go back to the salt mines while I am savoring dessert with my fully retired adopted bro.
I think that weekly reinforcement keeps my subconscious happy. :D

Normally my dreams (when working) are very normal, drab dreams about work, going through what I need to do the next day, and so on. It's as though I have to work twice. I don't always get much escape in my dreams.

But recently I have been using up my vacation time prior to retirement, and my dreams are becoming less work related and more lively. I really like being able to get away from work for a change! :2funny: For example I dreamed that I was playing solitaire, but the face cards were real people, reminiscent of those animated playing cards in Alice in Wonderland. They were carrying on conversations among themselves and with me while I played. That was certainly entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom