Join Early Retirement Today

Work Dream/Nightmare
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Work Dream/Nightmare

I have only been ER'd 10 days and had a vivid work dream. I dreamed I got up--went to work--and was working away in my cubicle. After a couple of hours someone walked by and said, "Hey, aren't you retired?"

In my dream I forgot that I had retired and went to work! I then started wondering (in my dream), how I got in the building since I turned in my badge! LOL Good to wake up and realize that it was only a dream
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You'll get these dreams for a while though they get less frequent with time. Enjoy them - yet another benefit of being ER'd.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Good to wake up
Yes
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For me, I'm usually starting some new, complicated job. I still have the "back in school and forgot to go to class all semester" dreams, so I think the work dreams will persist for me.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had a few dreams about work after I retired.

Now I dream about ER forum members...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yep - I had those "How come I'm back at work, I thought I was retired!" dreams for years. They are much less frequent, but I still have one occasionally.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
For me, I'm usually starting some new, complicated job. I still have the "back in school and forgot to go to class all semester" dreams, so I think the work dreams will persist for me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Also for those who think the dreams are less persistent, do you really remember all your dreams? Are you sure if the answer is yes? Personally I only recall a small percentage of dreams and generally the memory will just float away if I don't make a concious effort to recall them. My wife writes many of hers down and claims this allows here to recall many more dreams.

Here is a link to remembering dreams suggestions: How to Remember Dreams - wikiHow
Personally I'm kind of rebelling at the thought of doing this sort of thing, seems too much like work
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I still have the "back in school and forgot to go to class all semester" dreams, so I think the work dreams will persist for me.
I have those along with the nightmares of "recalled to active duty" and "have to go serve more restriction for all your college demerits".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I had a few dreams about work after I retired.

Now I dream about ER forum members...
BBB: Tell me I am one of those memebers....
Old 10-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - I had those "How come I'm back at work, I thought I was retired!" dreams for years. They are much less frequent, but I still have one occasionally.

Audrey
Me too. And in those dreams I´m being scolded, too.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Those are the worst. Those dreams usually occurred to me during heavy credit load semesters. There were so many classes and labs that after the first two weeks you almost have to wonder even when you are awake if you really did forget to go to a class.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I still have dreams about being in high school and college -- that I've suddenly remembered that I've skipped a class or two for a month or more, and then I forget my locker combo in high school...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
BBB: Tell me I am one of those memebers....
Well not yet. But now that you've put the thought in my head...I feel one comin' on....

I dream a lot about houses. Maybe I'll dream about a house filled with forum members...Toga! Toga! Toga!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Hey, I still have dreams about being in high school and college -- that I've suddenly remembered that I've skipped a class or two for a month or more, and then I forget my locker combo in high school...
I get those locker combination dreams too. I forget my locker number or I forget the combination. I go to the registrar's office to get the info and then find out I didn't register for classes . . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Hey, does anyone else have the "uh-oh, final exam, forgot to study" dream where you realize, "I'm XX years old, I already graduated in XXXX, and I really don't give a $#!+ about this exam anyway! Now, where did I park my car?"

After retirement, I'm sure I'll dream that the presentation is in one hour, I forgot to do the Power Point, and then I'll say, "Whoa! These other suckers may have to sit here and listen, but I'm retired, so I can talk about anything I want to!"
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well not yet. But now that you've put the thought in my head...I feel one comin' on....

I dream a lot about houses. Maybe I'll dream about a house filled with forum members...Toga! Toga! Toga!
If I were to be invited in your dreams my wife insists on Claudia chaperoning me.... Don´´t know if you´ll have room for her given her outrageous size....
Old 10-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

She's beautiful! We'll make room.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hey, does anyone else have the "uh-oh, final exam, forgot to study" dream where you realize, "I'm XX years old, I already graduated in XXXX, and I really don't give a $#!+ about this exam anyway! Now, where did I park my car?"

After retirement, I'm sure I'll dream that the presentation is in one hour, I forgot to do the Power Point, and then I'll say, "Whoa! These other suckers may have to sit here and listen, but I'm retired, so I can talk about anything I want to!"
Yes, my guess is that if you're troubled by a dream, it can be very effective to think conciously about what you'd like to do if confronted by that dream again. Like shooting the guy who's pursuing you in the dream .
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

You guys have such gentle, subtle nightmares. My last nightmare began with being buried alive ten feet deep and the smell of the earth within that tiny claustrophobic pitch black coffin and my panic as I realized that my screams were going nowhere. That immediately shifted into falling out of the space shuttle just after re-entry, and falling towards earth from so high that I could see the curvature of the earth and the glint of the sun shining on the ocean, and realizing that there was absolutely nothing I could do to save myself. More screaming that would never be heard. I tend towards lucid dreaming so I told myself to wake up and did.

I think that at dinner, before falling asleep, I ate something too spicy. I got up, drank a glass of skim milk, and was fine for the rest of the night.

I have occasionally dreamt that OPM lost my retirement application after my last day at work, and I had surrendered my badge during the exit clearance so I couldn't get back into my workplace to get things straightened out. That was not much of a nightmare, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #20

Doesn't anyone admit to dreams about that cute little receptionist who started at mega-corp a week before you RE'd. What might have been had you had to work another six months?