Working as a campground host

A lot of Maine campgrounds charge about $20/day for Maine residents. Looks like you will be cleaning toilets for $7.50 per hour.

But OP is not a Maine resident, so you should use the non-resident rate, not that that makes a huge difference... plus, OP's motivation is not the money but the experience.

But OP is not a Maine resident, so you should use the non-resident rate, not that that makes a huge difference... plus, OP's motivation is not the money but the experience.

Yep the non resident rate would be $35 a day. So it would be a much more respectable $12.25 an hour :).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Steve,
Which campground will you be hosting? I have been offered aroostook state park but I think I will pass.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Steve,
Which campground will you be hosting? I have been offered aroostook state park but I think I will pass.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'll be at Sebago Lake State Park. Aroostock is definitely way up there, almost into Canada.

I would say the experience of spending a summer in a beautiful park shouldn't be quantified with a dollar amount. The purpose of ER is to do what you want without worrying about compensation. Also most parks I've been to have a threaded water faucet outside the toilets. All you do is hook up a garden hose and spray it down. Not a big deal. Maybe hang an air freshener.

Go for it!

I would volunteer just based on that photo, SteveNU. Gorgeous.

No kidding. My in-laws owned a place on Long Lake in Maine for decades. This sounds like about as beautiful a way to spend a summer as possible.

Came up on Thursday and finally getting settled in. Picture from my morning walk. Life is good!

Attachments

• 1430702610427.jpg
    1430702610427.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 42
no way for me....too much away time from my wife....but ok for you

Mostly been cleaning up the campground and the restrooms. After the winter this place is a mess and takes a lot of work to get it ready for the season. I've spent a lot of time setting up my site how I like it.

I'm surprised that they are still looking for hosts. I figured it would be difficult to get in here. Most of the hosts have been here for a few seasons but even at this late date they are still looking to fill two positions. It seems like there is a lot drama here with some of the hosts so it should be interesting!

Attachments

• 1431658704346.jpg
    1431658704346.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 32
surprising..

It is surprising they still need 2 hosts. I too thought that was a high-demand gig.

Sounds like "camp for hosts" is much like "camp for kids" from years past.

Please do pop in now and then with an update. Your pic looks like a slice of heaven.

Back
Top Bottom