Join Early Retirement Today

Working as a campground host
Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to camp and have always thought it would be fun to work as a host in a campground. Well a few months ago I decided what the heck let's send in an application and see what happens. It was for a host position in a state park in Maine that we really enjoy visiting. Well I got a call from the park manager on Sunday and he has offered me a position for the 2015 season which runs from May 1st thru Oct 15th.

My wife is still working so we will be separated by a 4 hour drive. It is a volunteer position that requires 20 hours a week in exchange for a site with hookups.

Am I crazy to do this?
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think you are crazy. It's got an end date, so if you don't like it you don't have to do it again. Does you wife like the idea?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, figure out the conjugal visit schedule and have fun. It is only 5 months. If you do not like it, the 5 months will end and you will go on to something else.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
I like to camp and have always thought it would be fun to work as a host in a campground. Well a few months ago I decided what the heck let's send in an application and see what happens. It was for a host position in a state park in Maine that we really enjoy visiting. Well I got a call from the park manager on Sunday and he has offered me a position for the 2015 season which runs from May 1st thru Oct 15th.

My wife is still working so we will be separated by a 4 hour drive. It is a volunteer position that requires 20 hours a week in exchange for a site with hookups.

Am I crazy to do this?
Yes. If my wife did this to me she would likely come to regret it.

Ha
Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Talk it over with your wife, and if she does not object then go for it!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What does your wife think about you camping and living 4 hours away?

Other than that, camping is fun, but how much work do you have to do? I have read blogs of many full-time RV'ers, and their work duties vary. Some only do front-desk jobs of checking people in/out and taking reservations, while other have to clean toilets.

As for me, I am still an enthusiastic part-time RV'er, but I like to travel, not camping in one spot for several months.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comments. My wife is okay with it and says go for it. It's mostly cleaning bathrooms and campsites. Easy work and the campground is nice and well managed. We will do more traveling when my wife retires in a few years so this is kinda of a bucket list thing for me
Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'd go for it. Something that I always thought would be interesting to do.

P.S. next time you might want to think some of those things through before applying.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

About the 5-month duration of the work, you are not under contractual obligations, right? From blogs that I have read, camp hosts do leave their posts too, after giving some notice I would assume.

And not all host jobs last the entire summer. I have read about hosting jobs giving tours at Oregon lighthouses, and the bloggers never seemed to have it longer than a couple of months.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

20 hours in exchange for a spot with hookups doesn't sound like a good deal to me. How much does the campsite normally charge?

Quote:
It's mostly cleaning bathrooms and campsites.

Definitely a no for me ( I did work once as a janitor during one summer in high school and I'm not eager to revisit that ).

However, I have met a few people at various parks who have a similar arrangement and they seemed quite pleased with the setup. I don't know if they had cleaning duties but they were in charge of greeting folks and giving tours.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've done it twice for short one month periods. Once as a campground host and once as a campground golf host. I like being the golf host best. I worked 20 hours a week and received a full hook up site and played unlimited golf after 1200 noon each day. The site normally cost $28.00 dollars per day or $840 per month. I played 25 rounds of golf at $30.00 per round which amounted to $750 for the period. Soooooo.....for the 80 hours I worked I was effectively compensated to the tune of about $20.00 per hour. Loved every minute of it and the staff treated me very well in every way. You'll have a great time.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

A lot of Maine campgrounds charge about $20/day for Maine residents. Looks like you will be cleaning toilets for $7.50 per hour.

kypix
kypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

As a full-time RVer, we've volunteered in national parks/monuments/forests for almost two years. As visitor center volunteers, we've met lots of interesting people Living in the parks exposed us to a world of cultural, historic, geologic and other learning experiences we probably would not have enjoyed otherwise. If you're doing it just for the campsite savings, it won't make very good economic sense though. It was a win-win for us- giving something back and getting a lot in return.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
............... It's mostly cleaning bathrooms and campsites. Easy work ...............
It's still w*rk, and not the kind I'd do on the cheap.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't even consider the $$ aspect of it. I'm doing it for the experience. I'll never be able to have that lakefront home so this is as close as it gets And yes there is no contractual obligation, so if it really sucks I can always pack up and leave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3987.jpg (587.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
I like to camp and have always thought it would be fun to work as a host in a campground.
./.

Am I crazy to do this?
Quote:
I didn't even consider the $$ aspect of it. I'm doing it for the experience. I'll never be able to have that lakefront home so this is as close as it gets And yes there is no contractual obligation, so if it really sucks I can always pack up and leave.
A 4 hour drive isn't that far, it leaves room for quite a few long weekend visits. If your DW supports doing this, why not?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I would volunteer just based on that photo, SteveNU. Gorgeous.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ugh if you have to clean toilets maybe I change my vote. I pictured getting to run around like Bill Murray acting zany with campers haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

You have got to be kidding! My wife would cut off a certain appendage if I suggested I was going to be living 4 hours away for months at a time. Just too risky for me!
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Retirement is so sweet!