Join Early Retirement Today

Working Part time During ER
Old 05-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Working Part time During ER

Roger Clemens decided to pickup some part time work to augment his ER income.

$12 million for the remaining 4 months of the baseball season - if he gets lucky he can pickup an extra month's work in Oct. Plus he's going to probably cleanup on endorsement deals - Excedrin Arthritis Pain Relief, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Working Part time During ER
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roger Clemens sucks.

(former bostonian, current red sox fan)

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #3

Don't worry, his first start will be against the Twins - I'm like really sure they'll send him back to his fishing boat
Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Roger Clemens sucks.

(former bostonian, current red sox fan)
Current Bostonian, Current red Sox fan, (Moving to Myrtle Beach on Oct. 1st for FIRE or SEMI FIRE- OFF Subject but had to say it. HA!)

Clemens does suck but, Red Sox general manager Dan Duquette said Clemens was in the "twilight of his career" and opted not to re-sign him following the 1996 season. ...

He is in the national league now and his numbers are probably inflated but that was one of the biggest bone headed staements in recent sports history.

W

Old 06-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #5

Wally,
Come see us in Charleston when you get to SC this fall--and can get off the golf course for 5 minutes! And if you haven't been to Brookgreen Gardens---GO. It is a gorgeous sculpture garden with a great natural animal habitat area (saw a baby owl in a nesting box on our last visit).
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #6

Yes indeed, welcome to the Palmetto state (from this former suburb-of-Boston-ian)! And ditto on Brookgreen, a magical place. Also Huntington Beach State Park if you're into nature, and all of the sea islands. Not to mention Congaree Swamp, Mepkin Abbey, Fort Moutrie, the USS Yorktown (now a naval aviation museum), many plantation gardens--what a scenic state you're hooking up with! Mosey on down our way some time, perhaps stopping en route in Georgetown or McClellanville, appealing small towns.

If you miss the arts scene from Beantown, plan to spend some time in Chucktown (Charleston) during the Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto Festivals--2 weeks of fantastic interntaional music, theatre, dance, opera, and art from late May through early June--everything from popular culture to classical to avant garde. And if you miss the Sox, try our Riverdogs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_RiverDogs

astro, amateur flack for Sow Ca'lina
Old 06-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #7

If I did decide I wanted to work a little during ER I would definitely consider Trader Joes.
The employee 10% discount!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Supposedly Costco and Trader Joes both have very happy employees and treat them very well.

Seems they're the anti-walmart.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Wally,*
Come see us in Charleston when you get to SC this fall--and can get off the golf course for 5 minutes!* And if you haven't been to Brookgreen Gardens---GO.* It is a gorgeous sculpture garden with a great natural animal habitat area (saw a baby owl in a nesting box on our last visit).*
Sarah

Astro/Mc

Thanks.

We've visited Myrtle Beach 10 or so times but haven't really seen much else. We usually drive down from Boston in 12-13 hours straight (I do all the driving as DW's driving makes me car sick) and stay for 10 days to 2 weeks. After getting in our quota of Golf, I don't really want to drive around doing a lot of site seeing but in FIRE it will be much easier....

Thanks for the ideas, I printed them out and when we are settled and making the rounds, I'll drop you guys a line..

Thanks,

Wally
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Sarah/Astro,

Can you folks recommend a good Health Insurance Agent in South Carolina.

I've read most of the posts and gone to the various links on this topic on the site, thanks everyone. Also reading the book recommended here on the New Healthcare Solution (ie. high deductible policy and HSA).

Still a little scared about getting a bad Agent. We have no major medical problems, a little arthritis but I guess a good agent knows what companies will be concerned with some conditions and others that don't care about certain things..

Thanks,

Wally