'Worry-Free' Housing

Our community is “pet friendly”. Some people have 3 dogs in their rigs or park models. This one guy, (who has 3 dogs) has a yipper, a 20+ pounder and one that looks like he is about 35+ pounds. He gets on his motorized not-exactly-wheelchair/motorcycle and takes them to the compound every morning for their ‘constitutions.’

Several have chocolate labs or golden retrievers, others have those lap-type dogs. Cats seem to be less common, but you can’t always tell, since cats can easily hide from attention.

Eagle43
I got DW to read your posts; we're going to look into Florida areas early next year. It seems to be a good cost effective way to just park everything and then travel. Not the only way, but certainly worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

That’s great news, Eagle43. It’s not the only way, for sure, but it’s a comfortable option. That’s just what we did - parked our stuff and traveled.

Be well, all,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Akaisha,

How about security for your few posessions left in your park model? In general, I worry about leaving anything unattended. I am guessing that you have furnished it as if it were a hotel room, that you don't leave your personal treasures / memorabilia / important stuff there.

Ed

Great Article Akaisha. When (if) I return to the USA, I will definately look into the RV lifestyle.

Of course I plan to continue my newfound Thai ways, i.e.; playing my stereo at full volume and in to the early moring (sunrise?); riding my motorbike against traffic and on the sidewalk and not using the trash cans.

Geez, wonder if that's one reason why Billy is so secrative about your location?!?

Mai pen rai :LOL:

Lance

Hey Lance,
Just because we are a pet friendly community doesn't mean we let just any critter in! :)

Billy

ED
How about security for your few posessions left in your park model? In general, I worry about leaving anything unattended. I am guessing that you have furnished it as if it were a hotel room, that you don't leave your personal treasures / memorabilia / important stuff there.

Right. We have personal treasures, but mostly things that hold emotional value. That being said, I would be upset if I returned home and there was no bed anymore… or my books and art supplies were gone. 8)

Our particular community has a ‘courtesy patrol’ - which patrols the place both in the day and in the middle of the night. Other communities are gated (we are gated, but we don’t have a guard at the entrance like some) where would-be-burglars would have to climb the concrete/metal fences or deal with the guarded entrance.

Since our community is relatively small compared to others, we do have the beady watchful eyes of neighbors who know everything about our business who keep our best interests in mind and keep an eye out for other neighbors. This is very effective. In general, thievery is not too common, although it happens. -- no different than in other neighborhoods.

But the point here is, that none of us have rambling rooms full of plasma screen TV’s, Garages full of expensive toys, exercise equipment, Picasso’s and so on.

There are probably more millionaires per capita in our community than in the country club community just up the road, except that people here live simply. The country club community is always getting hit because that is where the ‘stuff’ is.. Know what I mean? :D

You could always put an alarm on your home. We have thought of doing that… just never got around to it, really…

Lance
Great Article Akaisha. When (if) I return to the USA, I will definately look into the RV lifestyle. Of course I plan to continue my newfound Thai ways, i.e.; playing my stereo at full volume and in to the early moring (sunrise?); riding my motorbike against traffic and on the sidewalk and not using the trash cans.

Hi Lance!!
Hey, Buddy, you’d fit right in! Everyone thinks these old fogies are sticks in the mud, but when the Canadians come down it gets pretty rowdy. We can’t keep up with the happy hours and Bar-B-Ques. Heck, tonight they are decking the community halls with boughs of holly right as we speak. People are at the pianos singing and playing and dancing and drinking the egg nog! :LOL:

Bennevis
Unfortunately the Cal-Am site does not provide prices.

Just use the forms to contact them. They will respond either by phone, email or a brochure. Tell them what you are looking for, and your price range. Ask what it costs per month to rent.

Every information site is different. Simply venture forward and begin somewhere. Gather info, go and visit and then get local. You'll find your best info that way.

Best to all of you, and thanks for taking the time to view.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventure’s Guide to Early Retirement

OK, I'm interested at least as a second home for winter. Or two models in seperate locations. What are the downsides? It can't be all perfect, right? Or can it?
Shredder

I have several family members living in manufactured home community, and Akaisha is right on about the security aspect. And when something *does* happen, everyone knows by the next day, and so vigilance is increased toward whatever particular risk presented itself.

Think of prey that tend to roam in herds to reduce the risk to any one individual :D

Kramer

Kramer:
Think of prey that tend to roam in herds to reduce the risk to any one individual

Well put! You bet everyone knows about it 'instantly' and everyone jumps in with ideas and solutions and will be on the lookout for anything suspicious. It's a great neighborhood feeling. I feel pretty protected, I must say...

Shredder
It can't be all perfect, right? Or can it?

Let me first say, that nothing and no place is perfect. 8) It all depends on what your needs are.

Once you define what you are looking for then finding what fits the bill is easier.

Do you want:
Appreciation in property value and housing? Large rambling rooms with plenty of space for kids, grand kids neighbors and friends to stay overnight or for weeks in your home? Do you absolutely love stuff - like lots of sets of sheets, towels, tableware, holiday decorations, plasma screen TV's, tools to work on several vehicles that you own? A place to put your ATV, boat and 3rd car? Storage space for your kids' stuff?

Are you a leader of a jazz band and need your studio onsite to practice in? or an artist that needs a warehouse attached to your home to produce your product? Do you want to raise horses or grow your own grapes for the wine you make? Do you want a managerie of pets?

All these things take room and the $$ to pay for that room.

If instead the idea of a small investment appeals to you where you can invest little and still have access to a large spectrum of amenities, community, activities, and you don't want or need a lot of 'stuff' to house, don't need 3 vehicles or your own private art/music studio, don't want 2 greyhounds, 3 siamese cats, a parrot from the tropical amazon, then this option could appeal.

There is nothing 'wrong' with either side of the fence. It all depends on what you want and what you are looking for in retirement.

If you are looking for 'housing with ease' then our 'Worry-Free' Housing option would help you find that match. If instead, you want to grow your own tomatoes, top your own redwoods, have your own personal koi pond... then this wouldn't feel comfortable for you.

However, the $$ you would save in this type of living could free you up to do other ventures that otherwise you might not be able to afford.

Either way, it's up to you. It's a win-win. :D

Just figure out what you are looking for... 8)

We wanted something virtually hassle free, so we could devote time to other pursuits...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Thanks for the great answer Akaisha! I guess I looking for a affordable winter time escape from the snow and cold of MI sometime down the road. (It's 21.5 degrees with about 5 in of snow here as I type.) Without having to pull it down the highway. Plus I'm 6'7" and don't relish spending months in a little RV. A park model with 8 ft walls seems more like it. I'm 52 yr old and DW is still working for a few years so it would be a while yet. But it does sound like something that would appeal to us, like the price, the social things, activites, while still having a garden, wine making, fishing, hiking in our area. Truly the best of both worlds.....Duane

Billy said:
...Either way, it's up to you. It's a win-win. :D

Just figure out what you are looking for... 8)

We wanted something virtually hassle free, so we could devote time to other pursuits...

Be well,
Akaisha
Most if not all these tradeoffs also apply to condos. In fact, the only differences seems to be that you have your car close to the kitchen, some outdoor rooted plants, and some responsibility for exterior maintenance. You might have some extra risks/costs for tornados/insurance. But your list of lifestyle choices is pretty much dead-on. I think security might be better in a condo (except for the car). I think ongoing costs might be better for the "worry-free" choice.

Shredder
Plus I'm 6'7" and don't relish spending months in a little RV. ..But it does sound like something that would appeal to us, like the price, the social things, activites, while still having a garden, wine making, fishing, hiking in our area. Truly the best of both worlds.....Duane

Yowza! 6’7”! Billy’s brother is 6’6” and I know how he has to jumbo-size things in order to not bump his head or have his knees at his nose when he sits…

Yes, it has been the best of both worlds for us as well. We travel like crazy all over the world while we are still able, and then come home and in 30 minutes our home is set up once again. Very little muss and fuss, very little investment or worry.

Kcowan
Most if not all these tradeoffs also apply to condos.

Exactly. We looked into condos as an option as well. Some are very attractive!

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to view.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

UPDATE:

The other day, our neighbor - a young recent widow in her 50's - had an electrical problem in her home. Power was off in certain sections and although she checked out the situation best she could, she couldn't locate the problem. She was distraught, embarrassed, and missing her husband greatly. She said she felt silly that she couldn't find the problem herself, and one could tell she also felt vulnerable...

Fortunately, living here in our community, we have maintenance men driving around in their golf carts every day looking for problems to solve... :D Moments later, 2 maintenance men drove to her home and rectified the situation. Price? $0

Had she lived in suburbia somewhere, she - at best - would have had to contact a neighbor or perhaps call an electrician and the wait would have been longer and the price higher.

Another benefit of living in one of these communities... 8)

Be well,
Akaisha

Billy said:
Fortunately, living here in our community, we have maintenance men driving around in their golf carts every day looking for problems to solve... :D Moments later, 2 maintenance men drove to her home and rectified the situation. Price? $0

Had she lived in suburbia somewhere, she - at best - would have had to contact a neighbor or perhaps call an electrician and the wait would have been longer and the price higher.
MIL lives in a townhouse 45 minutes drive from us. She has 3 neighbors who look after her. My brother had a severe fall a few years ago and has limited mobility now. Two neighbors have taken on the project of helping him. NO request needed, they do it on their own.

I think the parallel here is that single-family dwellings tend to attract this kind of attention more than highrise condos where the close proximity tends to encourage people to leave some space. OTOH the building super can react pretty quickly when called.

Sounds like both your MIL and brother have excellent neighbors. How fortunate!

From my personal experience, I haven't had that neighborhood support since I was a child - you know, when all the backyards were sort of all one big backyard 'highway' and no one ever heard of 'play dates'.

When Billy and I ran the restaurant, we were rarely home even on weekends and holidays, so we only knew our neighbors with a nod and a smile. :-[

Here, however, it's pretty easy going and the strongest neighborhood feeling I have ever had as an adult. People are always out and about going to the pool, billiard hall or workout room, or just taking walks around the gardens. Really peaceful. I always feel like I can ask for help or grab someone to chat. Very secure.

Be well,
Akaisha

If I chose to retire in the US, this is what I would have done. I don't want for big space and enjoy world travel. I have enjoyed reading your website. Thanks.

"And when something *does* happen, everyone knows by the next day, and so vigilance is increased toward whatever particular risk presented itself."

When my mobile home was still in the park this was true. Or as the T-shirt said " Mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park".

Thanks, Trek, for your kind remarks. Glad you enjoy our site!

rmark, it's true. Everyone does know what is going on in the community. It has pros and cons, but for security and the feeling of being safe, it's a really good thing! What a great T-shirt saying! :D

Be well, and Happy New Year!

Akaisha

What a story! Thanks for posting kcowan... Those people had quite a life there by the beach. Billy would love that.

Be well,
Akaisha

Sam said:
How about a 650sqft, 1br condo in Houston, for 22K. $600/yr property tax and $125/mth condo fee. No other hidding cost!

http://houston.craigslist.org/rfs/309297963.html
http://www.geocities.com/melophoga
Sure looks good! I wonder about the "bars on all the windows and doors".

I guess you would be well protected from perils outside, but what if you have a fire? Anyone know about thse things? Can they be released from inside?

One thing I know absolutely- I would never ever pay the $400,000+ that one must spend for a piece of rotting crap in a bad to marginal neighborhood that I would have to lay out if I were to buy in Seattle.

Ha

HaHa said:
One thing I know absolutely- I would never ever pay the $400,000+ that one must spend for a piece of rotting crap in a bad to marginal neighborhood that I would have to lay out if I were to buy in Seattle.

What would this world come to if everybody thought about houses in terms of value for the money rather than mortgage payment affordability?! What a scary thought.

Sam,

How bad is the neighborhood where this condo is located?

Big assessments may be coming up soon...

Justin,

I am familiar with the area, but not with that specific location. It's not bad at all. Mixed neighborhood. Mexican, Black, and Asian make the majority of the population. From that condo, there are at least 5 Vietnamese restaurants within 15min walk. And many Mexican and Chinese restaurants.

wab said:
What would this world come to if everybody thought about houses in terms of value for the money rather than mortgage payment affordability?! What a scary thought.

Geez Wab. Not everyone can afford to live in a 400K home! Who cares how much the mortgage payment is? 400K is 400K.

Back
Top Bottom