Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 'Worry-Free' Housing
Old 12-31-2006, 08:43 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I chose to retire in the US, this is what I would have done. I don't want for big space and enjoy world travel. I have enjoyed reading your website. Thanks.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

"And when something *does* happen, everyone knows by the next day, and so vigilance is increased toward whatever particular risk presented itself."

When my mobile home was still in the park this was true. Or as the T-shirt said " Mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park".

Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #43

Thanks, Trek, for your kind remarks. Glad you enjoy our site!

rmark, it's true. Everyone does know what is going on in the community. It has pros and cons, but for security and the feeling of being safe, it's a really good thing! What a great T-shirt saying!

Be well, and Happy New Year!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Latest spin on worry-free housing:

Buy for $50k at Briny Beach mobile home park in Florida.
Sell out for $1.2 million (510/488!

Should remove plenty of worries
Old 01-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #45

What a story! Thanks for posting kcowan... Those people had quite a life there by the beach. Billy would love that.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 04-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about a 650sqft, 1br condo in Houston, for 22K. $600/yr property tax and $125/mth condo fee. No other hidding cost!

http://houston.craigslist.org/rfs/309297963.html
http://www.geocities.com/melophoga
Old 04-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
How about a 650sqft, 1br condo in Houston, for 22K. $600/yr property tax and $125/mth condo fee. No other hidding cost!

Sure looks good! I wonder about the "bars on all the windows and doors".

I guess you would be well protected from perils outside, but what if you have a fire? Anyone know about thse things? Can they be released from inside?

One thing I know absolutely- I would never ever pay the $400,000+ that one must spend for a piece of rotting crap in a bad to marginal neighborhood that I would have to lay out if I were to buy in Seattle.

Ha

Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
One thing I know absolutely- I would never ever pay the $400,000+ that one must spend for a piece of rotting crap in a bad to marginal neighborhood that I would have to lay out if I were to buy in Seattle.
What would this world come to if everybody thought about houses in terms of value for the money rather than mortgage payment affordability?! What a scary thought.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #49

Sam,

How bad is the neighborhood where this condo is located?

Big assessments may be coming up soon...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #50

Justin,

I am familiar with the area, but not with that specific location. It's not bad at all. Mixed neighborhood. Mexican, Black, and Asian make the majority of the population. From that condo, there are at least 5 Vietnamese restaurants within 15min walk. And many Mexican and Chinese restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
What would this world come to if everybody thought about houses in terms of value for the money rather than mortgage payment affordability?! What a scary thought.
Geez Wab. Not everyone can afford to live in a 400K home! Who cares how much the mortgage payment is? 400K is 400K.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Justin,

I am familiar with the area, but not with that specific location. It's not bad at all. Mixed neighborhood. Mexican, Black, and Asian make the majority of the population. From that condo, there are at least 5 Vietnamese restaurants within 15min walk. And many Mexican and Chinese restaurants.
Sounds like the area where I live. Very racially diverse, 5 vietnamese/thai restaurants within walking distance. Condos 1 block down from me are going for ~$40,000 each for a similar size 1 BR (lakefront, too!). Definitely very affordable for LBYM types or working class families.

It's hard to imagine that the condo in Houston is selling at $22k, and a similar place in Manhattan might go for 25+ times that price maybe. Location, Location, location?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #52

Justin, 40K lakefront condo sounds like a better deal to me! Got a picture?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Geez Wab. Not everyone can afford to live in a 400K home! Who cares how much the mortgage payment is? 400K is 400K.
Oops, I forgot my sarcasm smiley. I would love to see people start thinking about housing in terms of bang for the buck. Maybe we'd start seeing a lot of interesting alternatives, like the newer modular homes, gain a lot of traction. Or the housing market would correct itself once everybody had the "what the heck was I thinking?" epiphany.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Justin, 40K lakefront condo sounds like a better deal to me! Got a picture?
Realtor.com has no pics for the two units listed (at 41k and 42.5k). The first pic is from the property tax records. The second pic is the lake view from my house. The condos are at the end of the lake on the left. The third pic is the lake at sunset (just thought it was nice!). The lake looks a little swampy - it was just built right before the pic was taken and hadn't reached equilibrium yet - too much algae.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01FF3800.JPG (40.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg l_49fed5605b1eafc174c5b5e71901bb3e.jpg (26.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg l_d3b5c8f79de7c5edff227d03d69d91b7.jpg (26.0 KB, 10 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 01FF3800.JPG_thumb (33.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb l_49fed5605b1eafc174c5b5e71901bb3e.jpg_thumb (23.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb l_d3b5c8f79de7c5edff227d03d69d91b7.jpg_thumb (28.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #55

Nice. Pondfront is probably a better description
Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

I worked for 12 years within 1/2 mile of this location. This area is not an area in which most people would want to live, and you certainly could not leave your condo for a month and call it worry free. It is surrounded by apartments and is at the edge of an area suffering from a (Katrina refuge?) crime wave.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3599702.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020500884.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4278212.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...gsqf0&refer=us

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Nice. Pondfront is probably a better description
I think I zoomed in a lot on the lake shot. It's actually 1/3 mile long - maybe a big pond? The lake is actually named "Lake Beamon" - that's why I call it a lake. "Waterfront"?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuzzard
I worked for 12 years within 1/2 mile of this location. This area is not an area in which most people would want to live, and you certainly could not leave your condo for a month and call it worry free. It is surrounded by apartments and is at the edge of an area suffering from a (Katrina refuge?) crime wave.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3599702.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020500884.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4278212.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...gsqf0&refer=us
I didn't know this. I frequent this area quite often on weekends, and it always seem normal to me. Are you still working in this area? What would your own personal assessment be?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #59

Wab:
Quote:
I would love to see people start thinking about housing in terms of bang for the buck. Maybe we'd start seeing a lot of interesting alternatives, like the newer modular homes, gain a lot of traction. Or the housing market would correct itself once everybody had the "what the heck was I thinking?" epiphany.
I agree with you, Wab.

I think when it comes to housing, people have alot of emotion attached to the purchase. We are taught from childhood that it is the American Dream, and our home should be 'perfect' and a showcase that says how well we are doing in life. There's all this illusion attached to it.

I find that when I bring the topic up in a group, I can get 'that look'. They think that I am either 'out to lunch' or simply daft. - and those are the nice ones!

Women can get quite angry with me... :P and they feel threatened, like I just committed a supreme 'no-no.' A betrayal of sorts.

I have a lot of 'Martha Stewart' type girlfriends, tho' and I think that's why.

Personally, I like simple, easy, affordable, convenient, and with privacy & sun. I don't want the house to own me -- I have too many places I want to see and things I want to do besides clean, repair and maintain.

But hey, everyone is different. I was very much 'into' our house in California... but when we had to sell it and all the stuff in it back in 1991, I realized that I never wanted to own that much stuff again!

Ha:
Quote:
Sure looks good! I wonder about the "bars on all the windows and doors". I guess you would be well protected from perils outside, but what if you have a fire? Anyone know about thse things? Can they be released from inside?
You have a point, Ha -- I don't know about how they can be released from inside -- but most places we have visited outside of the US have these rot iron bars and scrolls across the windows. It's very very common...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I think when it comes to housing, people have alot of emotion attached to the purchase. We are taught from childhood that it is the American Dream, and our home should be 'perfect' and a showcase that says how well we are doing in life. There's all this illusion attached to it.
You are correct. Once we get past the basic comforts, it is more about status and the symbol it represents. We own more house than we need today. We will be downsizing.

While I do not regret purchasing the house... I will be just as content to sell it. I do not think I could relate to your comments before we made the purchase. Now it is obvious to us that it is just a large expense and more effort to keep up with.

We have not lost money on the place... but it has provided us with an education about what is important.