Join Early Retirement Today

Re: WORST JOB
Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, and I should add that the Quebecois pastries had a name that would be appreciated here: "Queues de castor" = "Beaver tails"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Wow Steve!!!! You win!*

I was thinking to choose King Crab Fisherman, cause I can't imagine being seasick under their horrible, brutal and dangerous fishing conditions, but I think your orderly job beats that!

Audrey
Y'all need to know more healthcare workers! This is a typical day at the office for many. And it's not just the orderlies, I'm an RN and have days like this. And we get s*%t on by the docs and management and administration but we do get a bit more than $5/hr, middling benefits.

I do try not to s*%t on anyone else. Proper care of the patient is my primary goal and some days it's damn hard to achieve that in the midst of all the egos and BS.

Judy

Old 05-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Y'all need to know more healthcare workers!
I do try not to s*%t on anyone else.* Proper care of the patient is my primary goal and some days it's damn hard to achieve that in the midst of all the egos and BS.
Sorry, I was raised by an RN.

Unless the fracture was compound/complex with splinters sticking through the skin, or pumping arterially, the reaction was pretty much "Well, I hope you learned your lesson. Stand up and stay conscious when I'm talking to you, mister. Hey, don't bleed there, I just cleaned the floor!! OK, we'll go to the emergency room. Let me comb my hair first."

That "tough love" sure held off my share of shock trauma, though. She would've loved "ER" & "Grey's Anatomy".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Y'all need to know more healthcare workers! This is a typical day at the office for many. And it's not just the orderlies, I'm an RN and have days like this. And we get s*%t on by the docs and management and administration but we do get a bit more than $5/hr, middling benefits....

Judy
I'm a hospitalist in a place where the patients are very sick. Nurses are my heros.

Any of my doctors s#%ts on a nurse, and we have a very serious talk.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A repost from a while ago, but I just got it in email and it fits.

Think you have the worst job? Heres a letter allegedly from a commercial diver to a family member.

Hi Sue, Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last
week I had a bad day at the office I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realize it's not so bad after all. Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job.

As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office. It's a wetsuit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water heater. This $20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the diver through a garden hose, which is taped to the air hose.

Now this sounds like a pretty good plan, and I've used it several times with no complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit.
This floods my whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi. Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch. So, of course, I scratched it. This only made things worse. Within a few seconds my butt started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony I realized what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit. Now, since I don't have any hair on my back, the
jellyfish couldn't stick to it. However, the crack of my butt was not as fortunate. When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the jellyfish into the crack of my butt.

I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator.
His instructions were unclear due to the fact that he, along with five other divers, were all laughing hysterically. Needless to say I aborted the dive.

I was instructed to make three agonizing in-water decompression stops totaling thirty-five minutes before I could reach the surface to begin my chamber dry decompression. When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing but my brass helmet.

As I climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to rub it on my butt as soon as I got in the chamber The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't poop for two days because my butt was swollen shut.

So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt.

Now repeat to yourself, "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Sorry, I was raised by an RN.

Unless the fracture was compound/complex with splinters sticking through the skin, or pumping arterially, the reaction was pretty much "Well, I hope you learned your lesson.* Stand up and stay conscious when I'm talking to you, mister.* Hey, don't bleed there, I just cleaned the floor!!* OK, we'll go to the emergency room.* Let me comb my hair first."

That "tough love" sure held off my share of shock trauma, though.* She would've loved "ER" & "Grey's Anatomy".
Wow, Nords it sounds as if we were raised by very similar women. My Mother was also an RN and we used to joke that the only way to stay home from school sick was to have a death certificate in hand.

Judy
Old 05-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worst Job

College days, summer 1978, my very first crewing stint on a questionable 45' scalloping boat out of Hyannis, MA. Job lasted about 5 hrs, including 20 not-so-fun minutes aground on Hankerchief shoals (something like 10 miles out from Chatham). It was 10:30 PM on our way out when we ran aground. Pitch black, with the tide running at more than 10 kts over the sandy shoals like a swift river with big standing waves. The boat would drift up over a wave broadside, bottom out hard in a trough and list up to 30 deg, then eventually get yanked up on the next wave and slam down again. Started taking on serious water after a few minutes of this. We even did a couple of wild 360 deg spins (not rolls) if the bow or stern would hit first in the troughs due to the fast current. You had to hold onto something just to stay on your feet. Rigging flying all over. Oh, and no life raft or exposure suits. I decided the job really sucked when the Captain sent out the Mayday to the Coast Guard. But we got extremely lucky, finally spit out into deeper water with an intact prop-shaft and bilge pumps. Hobbled back to port by 2 AM, plugging hull leaks with whatever we could find and hand bailing the whole way. If they had been rocky shoals the boat wouldn't have lasted 1 minute.

After that surreal indoctronation I got myself a crew spot on a much better boat (Loran C and a Captain who actually knew what he was doing) and the rest of the summer was great.