Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

one of the interesting aspects of Florida is that in most communities, everyone is new, so you don't have the problem of being the "new outsiders"

for northerners, snowbirding seems to be the pattern a lot of people fall into....you get to escape winter and experience that novelty, but in the summer you go back to your old life, warts and all

part of the issue is deciding if you are going to try to continue to feed the "productivity impulse", or going to transform into something different, possibly higher

my pet theory is that with the new freedom, you more or less get to do what old money has done all along, which is return to feeding the "primal impulses" (ie. fishing, gardening, grandchildren etc), but as well return to the creative impulses set aside in young adulthood, or develop these if that is not an aspect of life you have been engaged in, replacing your one dimensional focus on work and security and discipline (brain left hemisphere things) with a more balanced approach.

I personally think much psychological pathology is caused by neglected and grouchy R-complexes and right hemispheres. People underestimate the reality of this. Look up alien hand syndrome, and you will start to understand how divided our brains truely are.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What outlying are was this Most of the people around here are very straight Right Wing Christians... my voting precinct wanted to vote in that you could not get a divorce PERIOD... because it was against the bible...
Try not to panic. There are just as many heathens in the Houston area as any other place.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What outlying are was this Most of the people around here are very straight Right Wing Christians... my voting precinct wanted to vote in that you could not get a divorce PERIOD... because it was against the bible...
I worked innercity and lived in Bellaire, which is in the middle of Houston and 7 minutes to start-drive-and park my car to the main shopping area which is the Galleria, and around there I just did not run into religious nuts. Quite a few Yankees live innercity, so that might have done it..or else I might just have been lucky to avoid them. Bellaire and West University are a different mentality I think.

PLUS, during the last 7 years I was in Houston, the city had the prestigious honor of having more strip clubs (still carries that title) of any city in America AND more spas than any city in America I think (and we ain't talking about Elizabeth Arden's Red Door either, kids); so, unless all the strippers and hookers were ultra-religious.....altho they probably did yell out "oh, God" out alot while "working" I would assume. (Sorry..just cannot get away from that sarcasm.)

I would choose to live with the heathens no matter where I lived, anyway. Your area sounds so...not me, TexasProud. Bless you if you can hack it. I couldn't.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
, unless all the strippers and hookers were ultra-religious.....
altho they probably did yell "oh, God" out alot.

Feeling frisky tonight Orchid?

Ha
Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Feeling frisky tonight Orchid?

Ha
No, but I do feel mighty sarcastic as you can tell....
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #26

Quote:
...AND more spas than any city in America I think (and we ain't talking about Elizabeth Arden's Red Door either, kids)...
I took care of that for you. Wiped out most of them as one of my last official acts before walking out the door in '04. They've been trying to come back in the last couple of years, but nothing like before.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #27

Well, Leonidas, have you wiped the smile off your face yet from what you must have seen and experienced doing that?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am going to be 62 next month and don't want to retire if my boyfriend wants to retire at the same time unless we move. He will want me to go fishing with him, camping and doing other things I might not always want to do. Not sure what I want to do with my days but I don't want to go places everyday or have him underfoot.

He likes to start days early and is done early ready for quitting the chores and settling down by 3-4 PM. I like to sleep in and have coffee until about 1-2 PM then start chores or shopping or going places. If I invite him he will say it is too late to start that today. It is after midnight now and he has been in bed for hours, when I wake up he will have finished most of a pot of coffee. He was repairing my truck before I woke up this morning.

I will go with the no travel, some fishing and camping and mostly doing nothing for retirement and spend my time procrastinating. Right now I am procrastinating retirement, I earn over a thousand dollars a week and have nothing better to do with my time.

Might be fun to buy lake front property with a dock, he could fish before I get up in the mornings.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

The points on that list are valid and should be given much thought to avoid what I see as emotional problems of retirement that could be avoided.

My first thought is one person's heaven may be another persons hell quite literally.

I am 53 single and semi-retired working 4 hours a day, I live in my hometown, my family except my daughter has died off but I do have an extensive network of friends. I like to target shoot, hunt, go out to eat, go to movies etc with friends. In addition to working I volunteer my time as a member of the BOD with committee work for a local non profit health agency.

My neighbor is 55, single, he is fully retired. He is utterly and completely happy to live a life I consider borders being a recluse. He lives with cat, likes to read and has the best self done landscaping flower gardens in the neighborhood. He watches cable tv but doesn't have a computer. His parents are still alive and in town and he tends more and more to their affairs. Nice guy but I could not live like he does. He is from all outward appearances and discussions quite content.

It seems I need more social interaction and stimulation than he does to be content.

I do believe anyone contemplating going into semi or full retirement read and heed the points in the first message. There are people who love to work and full time, and there are people quite content to live a very frugal almost reclusive lifestyle. I don't fit either category and maybe that is what makes it hard?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
My first thought is one person's heaven may be another persons hell quite literally.
Prior to retiring we went to see a financial adviser just to see if there was anything financial we didn't know about and should. He told the story of a couple who came in for the same reason and in conversation he asked what their plans were.

Her: "I want to buy an RV and travel all over the country, take cruises, and see Alaska."

Him: "I have a case of beer, the TV remote, and a Lazy Boy chair. I'm all set."

Adviser: "Um, I think maybe you guys need to talk a little more about this..."
Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
- Retiring to an area where the politics or religion is not a good fit for you.

Boy! I made this mistake myself when I moved first to an outlying area of Houston, and it really affected my stay there. Never again....it's more important than you think.
I should have left when within the first months I was asked to a church service on a Saturday night that included a gay priest in rainbow vestments and folks talking in tongues.
It was the talking in tongues that blew me away as I had always heard about it but never seen it in real life, so when the congregants started speaking--as if on cue--I was at a loss for words. In fact, all I could think of was if the spirit had moved them, why did they all start speaking in tongues when the priest did as if on cue? Wierd....and fake to me.
Just not my thang I guess.
Another reason to avoid TX.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote