Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to try to suck it up and stay where I am for now.

If it were, say, 2 years to ER I'd make the move for sure. But 5 years (and a few months, actually) is a long time to both absorb the big pay cut AND to bet that my San Diego gig would survive for as long as I need. The "oh, $#@%, what did I do?" moment would be if I got out there and had my network of contacts on the east coast atrophy , THEN found myself still not making the time that I need.

So as much as I'd like the immediate sense of relief (and have some fascination with spending time in San Diego), I think I'll gut it out here and keeping trying to find alternative gigs close by that don't involve the radical pay reductions yet still get me closer to the time in that I need.

This is a great board. Everyone here is the best!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Based on the information provided, I would vote to stay put -- as long as you can stand it.

HOWEVER, and this is an important however, if you are not already doing so, I would highly recommend that you begin to keep whatever documentation you can on your boss' behavior.

If he writes you a nasty/irrational email or note that might be evidence of his instability, keep a copy of it (and store it offsite, not in your office.) If he gives you a verbal direction that makes no sense, reiterate it back to him in an email message that you keep a copy of. For example: Nutso tells you to do X, which you know is bad advice. You send him an email along the lines of: "Confirming our telephone conversation of yesterday in which you told me to do X, I did X."

I would not make an issue of any of this -- and never let on that you are keeping a file on this stuff.

BUT, should the situation become really unbearable, (as it did in my last job at MegaCorp), and you want out on your terms, you have the ammunition to present to your legal counsel/HR department on why you need to go.

In my case, I thought I was going to work another five years but my MegaCorp boss -- a closet alcoholic with a very mean streak when he drank -- started to make my life miserable (along with the rest of his staff). At first, I just tried to stick it out, shake it off, etc. Then, I decided that someone above him should know what's going on, but I wasn't about to be the bearer of that bad news.

So, I started to document every nutso episode (of which there were hundreds!) [One small example: Nutso told me to attend an out-of-town meeting. I made all the travel arrangements, prepared for the meeting, flew to the city and was paged at the airport by Nutso's secretary who told me that Nutso "said he changed his mind." Sat around the airport waiting for the next plane and flew home. As it was near the end of the workday, I went home. The next day, Nutso sent me a note that he was thinking of docking my pay as I was absent for no good reason the previous day!!]

When I finally had enough of this crap, I approached our legal counsel and said I wanted out. He said no as my position was considered essential. I provided several examples of Nutso's behavior and alluded to the fact that I had many more -- all documented. Within days, I was negotiating my way out...and ultimately left on my own terms.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #23

Hw much vacation do you have? I might suggest a 2 week vacation to recharge the batteries.

I may also suggest moonlighting at something to build up some more cash for a longer vacation next year.

Take longer vacations and you'll soon find that retirement isn't so far away (5 years is not long). IMO I would stay close to contacts and use the contacts for possible moonlighting opportunities.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Another factor to consider is that the reduced pay could impact your pension. Some companies use your last 3 years of average salary to compute your pension. Taking a pay cut could lead to a holy cr#p kind of moment when you retire and get surprised!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen12 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to try to suck it up and stay where I am for now.

If it were, say, 2 years to ER I'd make the move for sure. But 5 years (and a few months, actually) is a long time to both absorb the big pay cut AND to bet that my San Diego gig would survive for as long as I need. The "oh, $#@%, what did I do?" moment would be if I got out there and had my network of contacts on the east coast atrophy , THEN found myself still not making the time that I need.

So as much as I'd like the immediate sense of relief (and have some fascination with spending time in San Diego), I think I'll gut it out here and keeping trying to find alternative gigs close by that don't involve the radical pay reductions yet still get me closer to the time in that I need.

This is a great board. Everyone here is the best!
Sounds like a rational decision. As to "immediate relief", as others have mentioned, make full use of vacation time. And your mention to keep looking for other gigs close by is a positive step---do keep on the lookout. I think just being watchful will help keep your positive energy up.

And there is always sick leave from time to time---I always believed "psychological sick leave" was every bit as valid as the flu or such. You can make yourself some four or five day weekends that way once in awhile.

Here's a radical thought, may or may not make sense, but what about an occasional face to face airing of an occasional grievance directly with "the problem boss"? You're there and I'm not, but that "might" be a way to "lessen" some of the irritations. Just another thought, maybe it would make sense, maybe not.

Good luck. Be nice if you kept us psoted once in awhile on developments one way or the other. Or even just to vent when you just get fried about some new incident!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #26

Gut it out and stick with the current situation say I after reading your post.
Just think of all the poor women thru the ages who have gutted it out in arranged marriages to some bloke they didn't like (OK, I'm a girl and I am putting this on my level). You surely don't want some sissy girl being able to gut out a bad situation over you, eh?
No, seriously, the payoff should be worth more if you gut it out and just stay where you are. And, yes, I, too, have been in a situation (well, ok, more than one) where I wanted to rip my blouse and run screaming down the aisle at work for them to release me from my cubicle prison...but sometimes it is smarter to rise above it all and gut it out. Gut it out! Stay put!