Join Early Retirement Today
Pennsylvania living
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado
Pennsylvania living

This is a very interesting thread for me. I am familiar with Western PA. I was born 'n' raised on a farm near Grove City, but attended and graduated from Gateway High School in Monroeville. I left that area to attend college and subsequently joined the service. Never been back. I have been thinking about moving back for some time.

I still have many ties to the area. My older Brother has lived in Monroeville all his life and enjoys it very much. He has owned his home since he retired over ten years ago at the age of 54. Also, much of my Mom's family live in Pitcairn and Export, representing a significant support system. Those folks have always seemed to be quite content in the area; all live in their own homes and none seem to be burdened by property taxes. There seems to be significant municipal property tax breaks for retirees. School tax issues may be another matter.

An interesting point is that there is no tax break for working folks when they contribute to a 401K, however the opposite side of that coin is that there is NO state tax on anything withdrawn during retirement. Also, no state tax on pensions or social security.

Of course, the advantage is that there are a lot of family members in the area and the disadvantage is that there are a lot of family members in the area .

Chester_A._Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
We just spent 15 years in State College, home of Penn State, Joe Pa and the gang. I would give it a big thumbs up if you like the cultural atmosphere of a university town surrounded by farms and hills. 2 miles out of town and you're in the boonies with much lower housing costs. Not as easy for long distance travel and they get real winters, but all the benefits of a great university town. Football tailgating, Bryce Jordon events, campus plays-speakers, Arts Fest in the summer, all kinds of continuing ed and fun courses, and so on. Very international mix of residents. Certainly a lot different from Phili or Pitt, and it's definitely not for everybody. Also a relatively stable housing market with plenty of retirees (many alumni). My Dad is a retired professor and still lives there.

We moved further south last summer to semi-ER by the ocean, graduate from the snow, and play with boats. You won't find big water and mild winters in central PA

TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, I can tell you that it's State College is not for me because of potential lynching concerns. I am required to cheer for another Big Ten school.

BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote

pennsylvania, pension, taxes