Would you go a year without toilet paper?

While I was visiting Asia I found many people that use water instead of toilet paper. It's actually more hygenic if done right... fully cleansed instead of just wiped down.

Geez, even the Frontier House families hung cotton rags in the outhouses. Or so they claimed!

neat article......really interesting.

I'm always amazed by what a big deal people make about toilet paper. The stuff was only invented about a hundred and fifty years ago.....how do we think people managed for hundreds of thousands of years?

Mullein leaves.....now THAT's good toilet paper. ;-)

LooseChickens

Blah stick your butt in a stream and use your hand

We try to conserve a lot, but the family in the article takes it to quite another level.

a year? i brought charmin along with me just on my roadtrip around florida for the 5 days i would be away from my own bathroom. i don't know how i'm going to survive my future in thailand. i wonder just how many rolls i can fit into a suitcase.

Mwsinron said:

There IS a rationale to the Hindu tradition of eating with your right hand and wiping your bum with your left. Don't know what happens if you lose one hand, though........:(

These people are just yuppie nutcases

Ha

lazygood4nothinbum said:
a year? i brought charmin along with me just on my roadtrip around florida for the 5 days i would be away from my own bathroom. i don't know how i'm going to survive my future in thailand. i wonder just how many rolls i can fit into a suitcase.

You've stumbled onto a real business venture there. Bring extra, I bet you could sell some. :LOL:

-CC

Nords said:
... with a book contract...
Yeah, really, if they were seriously committed to no impact, why go for only a year? They're just doing it for book sales. Besides, no impact at all is impossible; low impact is more achievable.

Where I grew up (RP), lots of people do without toilet paper. Soap and water were what most people used at home with toilet paper not a regular part of purchases, but poorer families in our neighborhood had no proper bathroom, so I think they used newspapers or other paper that they didn't have to buy.

We had to bring our own toilet paper when we went out; public restrooms usually did not have them. Even now, when I visit, I remember to bring TP--not a whole roll in my purse, but enough folded in a tissue-paper holder or plain letter envelope.

HaHa said:
These people are just yuppie nutcases

Ha

I totally agree, going green and trying to minimize your impact is okay... to a point.

No way! I feel very fortunate to be living in this time where we have indoor plumbing and all the other conveniences. I try not to waste the earth's resources unnecessarily, but I would never go to their extremes!

These are the same yuppies who formerly had all their food delivered in stryfoam .They deserve a year of this .

Mwsinron said:

Sure - if you don't mind drinking it when you get down stream!

Meadbh said:
There IS a rationale to the Hindu tradition of eating with your right hand and wiping your bum with your left. Don't know what happens if you lose one hand, though........:(

Same thing in the Moslem world - that is why; if caught stealing they cut off the right hand - it means that the person can not eat with others - they only use their right hand when eating - no utensils.

Back
Top Bottom