Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe check out something in the Burlington, VT area?

Water? – Check. Lake Champlain is beautiful

Nice people, well educated? – Check (several colleges and Universities).

Liberal? – Check and double-check.

Natural Beauty? – Check

Diversity? Maybe not so much, at least race wise (mostly white).

Quaint restaurants? – Check

Shady Trees lined streets, no mega freeways? Check.

Good Transportation System? Well, depends what good means.

Sunny/Cloudy ? Check.

No snow – Well, they get snow.

Housing cost is less than what I imagine SoCal prices to be.

Does not meet every one of your criteria, but may be worth a look.

http://www.ci.burlington.vt.us/relocate/

http://www.city-data.com/city/Burlington-Vermont.html

http://www.burlingtonvermonthomes.com/positions.htm
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
One thing people have not mentioned is the fact that you dismiss the idea of a condo or even renting. At some point I want to move to a bigger city and I want to be in an area where I can walk to the store, the library, and a few decent restaurants. I have a neighborhood in mind. The houses are very pricey but condos not so much. I'd compromise on the condo for the walkable nice neighborhood.

I thought as much when I bought my townhome, after living in a house for 22 years. High density living is an adjustment, to say the least. My place is very well insulated so I don't hear any noise from either side.But every time I open my drapes I am aware that people across the way can see in, and I know that my neighbors see my comings and goings, although I doubt they are at all interested. Still, it's a matter of privacy. How much do you need to feel comfortable? I need a lot and I haven't decided whether this is a situation that I can live with forever.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #43

Quote:
One thing people have not mentioned is the fact that you dismiss the idea of a condo or even renting. At some point I want to move to a bigger city and I want to be in an area where I can walk to the store, the library, and a few decent restaurants. I have a neighborhood in mind. The houses are very pricey but condos not so much. I'd compromise on the condo for the walkable nice neighborhood.
Good point. Maybe when Im really old (and cant move around so well). I might consider living back in the city
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn48
I am not fond of chains.

Quote:
How about whips?
LOL! It's a good thing I am not imbibing tonight or I'd reallllllllllllllllly be worried about that there comment above!

Thanks for the levity. I can use it today.
Kathryn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recommend Richard Florida's new book:

Who's Your City?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw on another thread that you speak Spanish. Have you considered moving south of the border? There are many places in Central & South America that would meet all your requirements.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I saw on another thread that you speak Spanish. Have you considered moving south of the border? There are many places in Central & South America that would meet all your requirements.
Yes, but not alone. I did live in Spain and it would be great to go back there, but at this age and alone, I don't think so. I almost did move to Spain in my mid 20s and wish I had. Hindsight is always 20/20. It is a nice thought though and one I have entertained.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just as well as Spain is quite expensive these days, especially near any desirable urban areas or near any water and would be a very FIRE prohibitive location.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

No. But as is usually the case... the details are important.

Life is full of compromises.

Plus, there is a big difference between I don't like where I am living or moved... and I want to go back home.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #50

RW,
Could be that those of us who can stand a Texas Summer would find something decent just about anywhere!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At some point I want...to be in an area where I can walk to the store, the library, and a few decent restaurants.
Exactly what we want, but not sure about going condo due to a) getting stuck with a noisy neighbor, b) if any neighbor has a fire, so do we, c) I thought resale was typically an issue with condos and d) several others. A Ross Chapin pocket neighborhood looks ideal to us, but they are all (so far) far too expensive so not a likely choice for us. The search continues, but we have considered staying right where we are, something we originally wouldn't have considered...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn48 View Post
Returning there really isn't an option for me unless I want to work forever just to have a little house somewhere not too far from the city.
I could never imagine returning to a place where I knew that I would have to work forever! No way, I just could not do it. I am enjoying my retirement too much and would never want to have to work until I die. I agree with the others who say that there is good people and things in most all places. You can pick anyplace in the world and go there and know that you are going to love it or that you are going to hate it and you will be absolutely correct.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

I'm pretty adaptable but there are some I just would not be happy no matter how low the cost .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn48 View Post
Part of the reason I moved to my current location is so I could live a mortgage free lifestyle, which I do enjoy and it provides for a lot of security. Problem is I miss my old city. One of the many (wonderful and not so wonderful) qualities of my former city is that the cost of living is probably second to NYC.
I can envision various possible ER lives for myself, in various locations. Those are my choices. There are places where I could not afford to live in the style to which I would like to become accustomed. These places are not reasonable choices for me.

Now, if I just HAD to live in SF or Manhattan, for example, and that was more important to me than the hardships in lifestyle that would be required in order to do so, then that's another matter. But I think all of us have to choose. I am from Hawaii, but it would be impossible for me to move back without more sacrifices than I am willing to make. I know the islands continue to exist, though, and that is a comfort to me even though I will never live there.

Pining over a choice that life just hasn't given me, will not lead to happiness or satisfaction.

Most of us cannot have everything we want.
Quote:
You can't always get what you want
But if you try, sometimes you might find
You get what you need!
- - - - Mick Jagger
I think Missouri may be exactly what I need. Besides, Hawaii has probably changed a lot since the time when I lived there. I don't want to litter this post with quotes, but Thomas Wolfe was right that "You Can't Go Home Again".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I could never imagine returning to a place where I knew that I would have to work forever! No way, I just could not do it. I am enjoying my retirement too much and would never want to have to work until I die. I agree with the others who say that there is good people and things in most all places. You can pick anyplace in the world and go there and know that you are going to love it or that you are going to hate it and you will be absolutely correct.
It's 110 degrees here today. Just kiddin' That was last week. It's only 98.6 now, which is pleasant by summer standards. Some people would hate it here.

Yes, there are good people and good things in all places, but some are better than others.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I have a ski slope behind my beach front hamock?

To keep the thread - i'll weigh in that here is a "band" of comprimises i can easily make to FIRE - but there is definately a threshold which is undesireable based on alternatives.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #57

For me as a thirtysomething single person, having lots of things to do nearby is very important. That's why I'm living FIREd in San Francisco where almost exactly 2% of my net worth goes to rent and parking every year. The way I figure it, living in a world class city while working doesn't make much sense unless your job is in the city... you only have a few hours a week to enjoy the city. But when you are FIRE and have all day to enjoy the city, it makes sense to spend a bit more on housing rather than spending extra on transportation between your residence and where you want to be.

Living in a big city like San Francisco actually is less expensive in some ways... the temperate climate means no air conditioning bills. There's no snow, so I don't have to worry about paying for a vehicle that can handle serious winters. Because cell phone coverage is excellent I don't pay for a landline. The lack of bugs means I can keep my windows wide open (no screens to buy/deal with). And there are other subtle benefits, like the way that walking rather than driving to things tends to make me healthier and so less likely to spend on medical. And people in the city don't wash their cars as often as people in the suburbs, so that's one less thing for me to spend money/time on. The lack of humidity means I don't have to change clothes, shower, battle mold, or use antiperspirant as much as people in other areas. I can get to the airport for a few bucks on public transit.

Population centers like big cities have incredible food distribution systems, and it's much easier for me to get good groceries relatively inexpensively than it would be in some podunk town.

So I think it really depends on your phase of life... if you are all about staying home with your family, then sure go somewhere cheap. But if you're about getting out and doing things, then I think it's reasonable to consider a big city.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #58

Free4Now, can you elaborate a bit on how you got to such an enviable situation? Does it involve the word Google?

I'd choose to live in San Francisco, Boulder, or Montreal (spring to fall only) if I can spend only 2% of my portfolio on housing. With the exception of Montreal, I don't think I can do so in the first two cities.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Free4Now, can you elaborate a bit on you got to such an enviable situation? Does it involve the word Google?
Maybe I misunderstood- I thought he meant he spends 2% of his invested assets on housing. That is a lot- if he follows a 4% WR that only leaves 2% for everything else.

I think there are people- young, old, married, single, working or retired- who will want to live in a vibrant big city. I was happy out from town when I had little kids, but I am 60 something now, and single, and I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. Lately I have considered the University District. I do like the friendliness you find on the street a little away from grit-central.

No place like the area around a central city big hospital to enjoy social chaos in its more florid manifestations. People yelling at one another, talking to themselves, telling the bus driver they have to ride free because they have no money. Happily, the drivers go along with this, they don't want trouble any more than the other riders do.

When I lived in one of the Eastside suburbs, the bus filled up with East Asians and Indians, who quickly buried themselves in their laptops. Down by Harborview Hospital the bus fills with a more varied group, some of whom immediately start yelling at one another.

Ha
Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Free4Now, can you elaborate a bit on you got to such an enviable situation? Does it involve the word Google?

I'd choose to live in San Francisco, Boulder, or Montreal (spring to fall only) if I can spend only 2% of my portfolio on housing. With the exception of Montreal, I don't think I can do so in the first two cities.
Hehe no I'm not from google, but I did benefit from some silicon valley employee stock options back in the day. Boulder would be the other place I'd like to live.

Living in a 1 bedroom apartment in an iffy neighborhood is the only way I can afford to keep my housing costs to 2% in SF. One of the advantages of being FIRE was that I spent a long time apartment hunting and so was able to find a good deal. I have developed an unspoken relationship with my landlord where I deal with minor issues and in exchange my landlord doesn't raise the rent. Not sure how long that will last though... I just saw an apartment exactly like mine, in the same building, listed on craigslist for more than 40% higher than what I'm paying so the rent increases may eventually catch up to me.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote