Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I would pull the plug.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have gone through times when I thought my job was terribly stressful and I was unhappy staying there. But since I had to stay employed, I found a way to change the work, get anther job, or transfer some responsibilities and my work became bearable again. Is there any possibility you could do something like that and make the 2.5 years doable?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I can move to another dept and do something different that isn't as stressful. My pension is based on my highest three years of income over the last 10 years, so I COULD do just about anything for 2.5 years. I know 1k a month will be welcomed when I'm 60 so i'm inclined to stay but DW sure is digging the 5 day weekends.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I would have a hard time not staying the 2.5 years to get the $1K per month. That's basically what I decided to do as I'm paying off the last two mortgages on my rentals, giving me an extra $900 per month.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #25

I'd work a transfer to less stressful position for those 2.5 yrs & qualify for that $1k/mo. Look at it this way. Assume the differential value of the $1k/mo in 2.5yrs vs $30k now is ~$250k. You're getting ~$100k/yr for your troubles.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #26

Taking a page from What Color is Your Parachute? I stayed in my old job four years longer than I had planned on because I was enjoying the work so much.

The page was about persuading your current employer to create the job you want, and then you fill it. It took two years for that to happen in my then-government job. Obviously that won't work for everyone but it turned out very well for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I appreciate all the input from the forum. I really value the wisdom and advice from this group because I know so many of you have been here and done this or are in similar situations trying to make these tough decisions.

Now for the good news!

I checked with the agency that handles the pension, and my vesting date is 5 months sooner than I thought it was. They told me April 1, 2015 is the vesting date. I assumed it was some sadistic, futuristic April fools joke, so I called back and spoke with another representative and they confirmed the date. I think I can make it 2 years and six weeks. FI waiting on RE!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I would at least try to transfer to a job that creates less stress. If it doesn't work you will know if a few months.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 50 and I could have RE'ed a while ago. I decided that until my kids graduate college my wife and I need/want to be around for/with them. I, like you, had a stressful job and decided that I wanted something that I enjoyed and had more control over. I found another position, State job vs corp., and am much happier.

I RE'd for 3 months 5 years ago and got bored. Mostly because we were not free to travel and move.

Now If I wait 9 years I can get a state pension and health plan. I do not plan on waiting that long. Primarily because we can afford to buy into the state health plan in MA, which is less then what I pay as an employee. Also we plan on being very physically active and want to have the energy to do all the fun things that we have on out bucket list.

I would suggest considering a long vacation first, then look for another position. That way all the decisions that you make will be made in the best frame of mind and under your control.

Cheers and good luck
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You say you spend about $40K/yr now. Would that actually be your budget in retirement? With more free time are you likely to take on activities that cost money, or go on longer vacations or weekend trips? Does it include irregular expenses? Eventually you will have things like roof repair, furnace replacement, car repairs and replacement, and so on. If you've been deferring those, they will eventually catch up. My budget includes significant amounts for home maintenance, car repairs, capital expenses, vacations, and medical expenses up to my deductible, plus the premiums.

Some people are stating that with $3K/month coming in a few years, you'll have nearly the $40K covered, but by then inflation will push that $40K up.

Not knowing all the information I can't say for sure what I'd do, but I tend to be cautious. You WILL be more secure with the extra pension. Firecalc cannot guarantee that you will have everything covered, with or without that extra pension, but the extra pension does give you more buffer for the unknowns. If I didn't feel I had much buffer today I'd stay the extra 2+ years for more buffer. If I felt I had enough buffer, and it's up to you to decide what a safe buffer is, I'd pull the plug.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Just as an update... I appreciate all the ideas and insightful advice from this forum. After talking it over w DW, we decided the best option was to move to another department now and complete the vesting (less than 2 yrs). DW has been semi-retired (works 2 days a week) for almost 3 months and loves it. She said once you stop working 60 hrs a week, it's hard to believe you ever did it in the first place. So rather than take some time off and then come back, I accepted a job in another department and will work with them at least until vested. Think I'll start my count-down now...
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #32

You can always still change your mind and ER. Feel the POWER!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be 52 in two years...I think that still qualifies for ER.

And as far as "feeling the power"....I'll feel that when my pension starts doing their monthly deposits into my account once I turn 60.

I do envy you guys that are ER now though. I look forward to joining you in 2015.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
take a year off and then decide?
If taking a year off before deciding is a real (viable) option then I'd take it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #35

Quote:
I'll be 52 in two years...I think that still qualifies for ER.

And as far as "feeling the power"....I'll feel that when my pension starts doing their monthly deposits into my account once I turn 60.

I do envy you guys that are ER now though. I look forward to joining you in 2015.
2015 is coming fast.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #36

Quote:
.. So rather than take some time off and then come back, I accepted a job in another department and will work with them at least until vested. Think I'll start my count-down now...
It's great to have options such as this. In today's economies/job market, it's very difficult to get a transfer to another department or division within a company. Many companies continue to reduce workforce and farm out jobs.

Congrats on the count-down.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
If taking a year off before deciding is a real (viable) option then I'd take it.

I totally understand. I would take it too if I thought I would come back and complete the vesting. I just think once I taste ER, there won't be any turning back. I'll try the job transfer 1st.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #38

For me, the vesting would be important also. That will make things easier later. It's a trade, gamble, whatever, but in the meantime, you still get your salary. And it's not that long of time.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to offer up a conclusion, I start working in a new department in June. I'm looking forward to the change, and by my calculation, I will work at least 396 days in that department (not including weekends or holidays). Let the countdown begin!!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

good luck! keep us updated