Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Up here, in the Frozen North, outdoor pools are a 4 mo/yr thing. Thus there aren't a lot of them. When my neighbourhood was built (about 30 years ago) people starting building indoor pools. There were 4 or 5 in a one block radius of my house. Now there is 1.

All the others have been filled in and converted to living space. DW and I once looked at a house with in indoor pool. It was winter time and the owners thought this would be a big plus for sale. The humidity inside caused frost on the windows (and I suspect mold), the place stank of chlorine, we couldn't run fast enough.

No pool for us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we just got back from a long walk and dived into the pool where we floated and chatted for 45 minutes. We've gotta get in the water more often - felt good.

Still wouldn't build another, but as long as we have it might as well enjoy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #23

We have a pool at our home in California. I would probably sell the house before I ever covered or filled it in. It is certainly not maintenance free, but pretty close. It is a saltwater pool, so we add a few dollars worth of salt every year, and so far a few dollars worth of acid once or twice a year. We have an automatic sweeper, so the bottom stays clean. It has an auto cover, which will need to be replaced probably at between 7-10 years, so it does not get dirt or leaves in it. I sweep down the walls a couple times in the summer. Since we are gone most of the time, my dad pumps off the cover after a big rain but just lets it dehydrate after a little rain.

It is not heated except for the solar gain it gets thru the cover. I plan to add some solar heating when we move back there, to extend the season so we can swim from about late March or early April thru to the end of October. My desire once FIREd is to go for a couple miles of jogging each morning in the spring/summer/fall and then go for a swim when I am done. Currently in the process of building a solar shower out there as well.

Besides that, I get a lot of enjoyment just sitting out there with the pool open even if I'm not taking a dip. I can't imagine filling it in or covering it...now anyway.

R
Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When we moved to TX, I really wanted a pool. The house we bought didn't have one, so I entertained the idea of having one put in. My cost would have been around $25k and then there was the maintenance. I would have gotten a lot of use out of the pool but DH can't swim and has a fair complexion....so no pool.

I do have a pond that I dip my toe in on occasion. But, it just ain't the same....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00097.jpg (894.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I am a major pool person, although currently without a pool. We planned to build on here at our new house, but due to engineering calculation problems and MD permeable ground rules our pool kept getting smaller and smaller, until it would have become a hottub. And HOA rules don't allow an above ground pool. Aaargh.

Having said that, I would never have a pool unless it was actually big enough to swim laps in. But most peole I know just want a little plunge pool, to cool off in. I never minded doing the maintenance on a pool, but it wouldn't be worth it to me to do it for a little pool. Although I've heard great things about those salt water pools.

I doubt I would bother to plank over a pool, unless I needed the yard space. Just a cheap cover and neglect would accomplish the same thing, which I suspect would be ruination and degradation. I doubt the pool would be effectively recoverable unless it was done within 5 years or so. But I'm not an expert. I would get second opinions (not mine), because the company is going to paint an overly rosy picture.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

This was the CNN Video, which sparked my interest in planking off our pool. The replies are very interesting covering a broad spectrum.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #27

Interesting video. Now he has his own mosquito farm!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I was also wondering about the accumulated water underneath the open planking. The video showed a sump pump installed for that reason. My guess is there will be a few inches of water underneath at any given time, yes, indeed a mosquito haven. Or a mold/mildew farm. Ick!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've always owned a pool and am in it EVERY morning and night. My daughters and friends occassionally use it in the daytime. I have a sauna and hot tub in a screened house next to the pool and those extend my season (No. IL) from Easter until Halloween. I am also part polar bear. Because of the pool I sleep like a baby for 8 hours every night without waking for anything. ~~ Cleaning is very little since my usage kicks up any dust and the filter takes care of that and the skimmer clears the surface. I probably spend $300 per year on tabs and PH control and maybe $200 on electricity. Have a heater but much prefer it cold so we never use it. ~~ Winter we timeshare a lot and a pool is mandatory for me. ~~ I would honestly rather be dead than to live without my pool.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

This might seem nutty to most but I think I would actually consider using the pool as a fish pond when not being used for swimming. You could probably raise Koi, gold fish and possibly eatable catfish. If all chemicals were removed or aged out of existence this would work. You could get by with only running the pump and filters a few hours per day. I think I would lean toward the catfish. Might as well raise something good to eat.
I've always enjoyed raising fish as well as other animals so I would actually try this, right after the big fuss with the better half. But once I convinced her that the pool could be safely brought back to swimming condition at a later date, I would proceed.
Just my slant on the subject,
Steve
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #31
gone traveling

I just contracted to have a pool built at the new house. In Phoenix, it is almost expected, would not want to try and sell a home without one. We use ours quite a bit (5-6 months, heat it over Christmas, etc) and as Rambler said, it is nice to just sit around the pool in the off-season; the waterfall provides a nice ambience in the evenings.

Here is the pool at our current home:
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Wow Westernskies...looks like I could dip more than my toe in your pool.

It's beautiful.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #33

Like a couple of others have said, we love our pool. We use it a couple of times a day. As we go about our work around the house, we'll stop and take a quick dip to cool off- today it's over 95 degrees and high humidity, felt great, will probably take another dip later.

We also have a saltwater pool with a pebbled surface, add a little acid here and there after it's open and a backwash a couple of times in the summer, not really much to do. Automatic cleaner works great. It does cost a lot to operate but at this point in our lives, we're okay with that. This pool also has a separate spa which we use all winter.

For the retirement house we're building, we won't have a pool but we'll definitely have a hot tub- the colder outside, the better for the hot tub. I like to sit in the spa at about 98 degrees when it's snowing outside, DW prefers to stay inside if it's snowing.

Would never consider planking over our pool- this is the second house we've owned where we had a pool put in.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We used our first pool a lot when the kids were small. In our last home we must have used it a dozen times in 10 years. Maintenance was US$45/month with another $100 or so for chlorine shock acouple of times a year. The largest expense was a fence I had to put up around the pool to comply with the local ordinance - mainly to avoid kids from wondering in there. The funny thing is that my backyard (and the pool) was right in front a large and deep lake - with no fence or any protection at all...
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I just contracted to have a pool built at the new house. In Phoenix, it is almost expected, would not want to try and sell a home without one. We use ours quite a bit (5-6 months, heat it over Christmas, etc) and as Rambler said, it is nice to just sit around the pool in the off-season; the waterfall provides a nice ambience in the evenings.

Love it! I'm jealous. Salt chlorinator?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post

Pool party!!!! Beautiful.
Your pool pic sparked a memory.
My mom lived in Scottsdale for several years in the early 80s. I lived there temporarily for about 4 months in late spring/early summer. I was there j*b-hunting. I made a new friend who just so happened to have 2 elderly aunts with a huge pool very much like yours.
I offered to do the pool cleaning in exchange for a dip. That was great!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #37

This was taken last year after we put in a lot of plants, should take some new ones as they've really filled in but we wouldn't think about covering up the pool!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #38
Administrator

Dave, that pool is beautiful. So are the others shown on this thread. And Rich, your 45 minutes floating and chatting in the pool after your long walk sounds so pleasant.

If I had a pool, I would swim early each morning. After work, I'd jump in the pool again. Ah, bliss! Sounds really nice.

I don't think I would have a pool installed, because apparently it doesn't really raise the property value. But it would be fun if either Frank or I ended up with a pool after we retire and move to Missouri. He is a big fan of saltwater pools so it is possible.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I wanna pool....and a pony.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I wanna pool....and a pony.
If I get a pool after we move to Missouri, you can come for a swim!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote