Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
After reading HA's message I feel like buying one of those shirts that say "Life's a bitch, then you die."

But.......

For what it is worth, my travels, while limited compared to many people, have given me countless hours of pleasure, many good conversations, and have made excellent ice-breakers with strangers.

We all choose to spend our resources as we with. Some of us like to balance things, time and experiences. Please don't rain our our parade.
Please understand, I likely love travel as much as any of you. I was not writing about anything but this treacly article by this particular woman, who lives like a native in Morocco on $6000/month. Give me a break!

Anybody else's travels, great! Fantastic!

Not everything is about us personally, which fact may temporarily have eluded some members.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

My superior memory reminded me that I did not stop to take a photo of that cow on Hwy152 30 years ago, and I would not be able to find it if I did.

But, but, but, I recently took a cow portrait not too far from Point Arena Lighthouse in Northern CA. Heh heh heh... See my beautiful cow below.

A day later, when in Fort Bragg, CA, we happened to be there on a farmer market day, so bought some grass-fed ground beef. Could be from a cousin of the cow that posed for us. Ooops... Life is not always romantic. I could have bought some cheese instead, I guess.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, yes. Whether they're happy cows grazing on fresh grass, smiling pigs listening to the little boy playing harmonica, or free range chickens leisurely bathing in the sun, if they are all ended as steaks or burgers on table or in oven, the bottom line is same.

If I could go live overseas for periods between six months and three years, that will be a perfect opportunity to learn a foreign language. Being forced to learn a foreign language as a student, that's one thing. Being eager to master a foreign language voluntarily, the pleasure is totally immeasurable.

Sooner or later someone has to find a place to plant his/her own root. Hope this couple in the WSJ article will find a perfect place to plant theirs soon.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We were gobsmacked to come across these Belted Galloway cows while driving through Maine a couple of years ago--I think they are beautiful.
Definitely beautiful cows, and in a beautiful setting too! Where I see a belted cow herd is just after Brenham TX, which is the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream, which certainly knows how to do beautiful things with cows milk. Their "happy Cow Belle in the Bluebonnets" ad is highly romanticized - but that's OK. if I stop for a chocolate almond milkshake in Brenham, I wax all romantic too!

Here's to travel romanticism (and food romanticism, and scenery romanticism). The spice of life! Cheers!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
The other thing is, these articles invariably make a big virtue out of preferring experience over things. Though I have very few things, I would have to be deluded to imagine that purchased experiences are fundamentally different from purchased things. It is all the same, much like black clothing vs brown.
YMMV, but I would rather accumulate memories, new friends and new skills than more material goods (of which I already have enough).

In any case, it is relatively easy to find opportunities for travel and other experiences through various forms of volunteerism. Not everything needs to be purchased.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you can learn lessons anytime you open yourself to new experiences, and travel fast or slow to a place you have never been is by definition going to be a new experience. Example: In a single day in a European town you can begin to question our American work and lifestyles when you discover that all the shops are closed for an hour in the afternoon, You can observe the manner in which shopkeepers greet their customers, the way people dress, and the often very different frequency of obesity in some places compared to our own local consumer gathering places.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, if that's how the couple want to spend their money then more power to them.
+1
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We discovered this style of travel when we had kids. Hotels are less practical if you have toddlers that want to nap, right when housekeeping wants to make up the room... or if you don't want to turn out the lights and go to sleep when your 6 year old crashes for the night. By renting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, we could make breakfasts in our room, so we didn't have to get dressed and showered before our first cup of coffee. I don't think I'll ever go back to fast travel.
Two words: Home exchange.

An earlier post mentioned income tax. Presumably there are ways to be a PT and not resident in any country long enough to be liable for tax? Most countries will give you a 3-month stay as a tourist without question and many will extend that to 6 if you ask nicely; typically, to be tax resident in a (European) country, you have to spend 183 nights there in the tax year.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Definitely beautiful cows, and in a beautiful setting too! Where I see a belted cow herd is just after Brenham TX, which is the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream, which certainly knows how to do beautiful things with cows milk. Their "happy Cow Belle in the Bluebonnets" ad is highly romanticized - but that's OK. if I stop for a chocolate almond milkshake in Brenham, I wax all romantic too!

Here's to travel romanticism (and food romanticism, and scenery romanticism). The spice of life! Cheers!
Now you've gone and done it. I'll be eating ice cream tonight for certain! Much more heavenly than pate' whatever that is.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #30

I've done 3 overseas trips this year and will do two more, all for 1-week except for a 2-week trip in June.

Part of the reason to take many short trips instead of a couple of longer trips is to maintain airline status. But I did rent an apt. in Paris for 3 weeks once, made use of the local markets and bakeries (fresh baguettes for less than a dollar at the time).

If I were retired, I would do an extended stay, with short trips via LCC to various European cities.

No cows aren't more beautiful in Europe than the US. Often though, the surroundings are -- little towns hundreds of years old surrounded by rolling hills or the Alps.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Please understand, I likely love travel as much as any of you. I was not writing about anything but this treacly article by this particular woman, who lives like a native in Morocco on $6000/month. Give me a break!
I think the article mentioned they averaged $6000/month - and that more expensive places like Paris were offset with less expensive places (presumably Morocco fit that bill.)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

First time poster, long time reader/follower

Me (US) and my DW (UK) have lived this lifestyle for about 5 years (Fired at 52) Our home is in Houston Texas, but we travel about 9 months a years and have lived in 78 countries to date. (Some with work/others after Fired - Last year it was Croatia, Italy and Switzerland)

After our yearly medical/dental checkups and other necessities (shopping), we will be heading to the UK for 3 months (Peak District), then to Norway and end the season in So. France

We rent Corp. Apts and if we don't like and area, we will leave and try somewhere else -

We do it for the fun - not to be a local or try to go native.

We started this lifestyle by accident, after we Fired, we rented a car in Paris, drove through Europe for the summer, sending time here and there and decided to do this as long as we could. (Next year will be the year of the Cruise – going around the world)

Our budget is higher than the Martin’s $6,000 per month and our SWR is about 4.5% until SS kicks in. Our homes are paid for and we are just enjoying life

Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The Martins spend $6K/month from their stash. On top of that, they had SS and pension. They also do not have to carry medical insurance. A younger ER couple would have to spend more from their investment for the same lifestyle, and they also have more years in front of them (the Martins are 66 and 70).

When I am at their age, I might do the same if my stash holds out. Or it may go way up, like FIRECalc says may happen. But it is possible that I just do not like to travel as much. Will wait and see.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But it is possible that I just do not like to travel as much..
Neither do I, but DW does. If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy ...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We both love to travel, but not perpetually. Selling our homes and live out of suitcases permanently? No, not my wife. I got her to live out of a motorhome for 5 weeks, and that's as far as I want to go too. I have been persuading her to spend a summer in Alaska in the motorhome.

Still, one must learn to never say never. Ten years ago, I looked at people in RVs and asked why they would want to travel like that. How little I knew!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #36

I could definitely see something similar to Loving Life's scenario.
In fact we're hoping to do this for a summer, with the kids, when I ER in 4 years.
Rent a place for 3 months - somewhere in southern Italy... then do excursions (or not) out from there.
Husband has family in Sicily - so visits there for sure.
It would help improve all of our limited Italian... but the kids already know the important phrase for Italy
"Mi piache gelato!"
(And in Sicily it's "Mi piache granita e brioche.")

Who knows... maybe we'll take a ferry over to that Greek isle where everyone lives so long.

FWIW - our stay in the EU is less limited since hubby and the boys are dual citizens.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Theirs is an expensive version of the PT lifestyle, but they have the income to support it. However, other options--Paul and Vicki Terhorst, Billy and Akaisha (who've often posted here) have cheaper versions but no less interesting.

My wife and I may do a similar version (the cheaper one, that is!), with an inexpensive home base, which allows enough money to travel similar to Billy and Akaisha.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We were gobsmacked to come across these Belted Galloway cows while driving through Maine a couple of years ago--I think they are beautiful.
I love these cows, too. They will forever be known to me as "Oreo cows."
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #39

Quote:
"Gobsmacked"

Is that when you step in a gob of "used grass?"