Join Early Retirement Today

Yahoo Finance - Dead is the new RE!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Yahoo Finance - Dead is the new RE!

retire-and-be-happy: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Dead is the new retirement. OK, that doesn't sound appealing, but working till you drop is a heck of a lot better than playing crappy golf at the country club, eating chicken salad sandwiches for lunch, and complaining about your gall bladder.
At least, it is if you can find a job in retirement that brings meaning and happiness. So says Marshall Goldsmith, whose blog entry "Brett Favre and the Difficult Art of Retiring Successfully" appeared last August on the Harvard Business Review's Web site...

A shot across FIRE's bow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the article is on the money. People who retire with adequate $ resources and no other plan for 'what to do' all day are risking disappointment. Some people are lucky/smart enough to naturally have meaningful activities and relationships in place and do well without conventional work, but many are not and it takes them by surprise. I'd encourage reading How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free AND Work Less, Live More several years before retiring. 'What to do' planning is just as important as $ planning IMHO but many people only focus on the latter.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
Dead is the new retirement. OK, that doesn't sound appealing, but working till you drop is a heck of a lot better than playing crappy golf at the country club, eating chicken salad sandwiches for lunch, and complaining about your gall bladder.
I don't complain about my gall bladder since I don't have one anymore. Anyone wanna hear about my back aches.....?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - like mastering meditation on the sound of one hand clapping I have yet to attain guru status in the art of doing absolutely nothing all day.

But I have worked very hard at it for 15 years. Us lefthanded INTJ's never say die.

heh heh heh - 16th year I'll get it - you'll see. Not so sure about the Saint's upcoming season though.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
working till you drop is a heck of a lot better than playing crappy golf at the country club, eating chicken salad sandwiches for lunch, and complaining

Wow - I understand this premise may be appealing to some people, and there is some appeal to the idea of "doing something meaningful" while retired. But the notion that ER would leave me drifting without meaning and forced to participate in sports followed by leisurely lunches just to fill the time is both laughable and wrong. Besides I think I could even spend quite a few years doing so and enjoy it much more than wasting my time in a maze of cubicles following directions from clueless and mean spirited managers, ruled by a timeclock. This author doesn't seem to have worked at anyplace I ever did, but then I wasn't CEO or QB like the examples cited.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'd rather be dead than back in the cube farm.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
retire-and-be-happy: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

At least, it is if you can find a job in retirement that brings meaning and happiness. So says Marshall Goldsmith, whose blog entry "Brett Favre and the Difficult Art of Retiring Successfully" appeared last August on the Harvard Business Review's Web site...

A shot across FIRE's bow.
Let's dissect this. If someone doesn't like chicken salad sandwiches, they shouldn't eat them for lunch whether they are retired or working. If I want to complain about my gall bladder (which was removed 15 years ago), I would do so at work if I am at work.

That would reduce the argument to "working till you drop is a heck of a lot better than playing crappy golf at the country club".

I would suggest that we all should have the opportunity to pursue our dreams sometime before we die, and retirement is a good time to pursue them. Who is to say that golf is an unworthy dream?

Work involves doing what you must do to earn a living, whether you happen to feel like it or not. If someone prefers work to pursuing their dreams, then maybe they need to do some more introspection and self questioning about what their priorities really are.

If someone's work and their dreams coincide, more power to them. But I think that is not generally the case and when it isn't, retirement is not only justified - - it is something that we owe to ourselves.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Now I am hungry for a chicken salad sandwich but I gave up chicken.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #9

I'm no golfer. But I'd rather learn to be a really bad golfer, country club or not, than be an empl*yee anywhere.

OTOH if I can make a buck at my leisure, in a nice non-demanding enterprise of mine, i'd do it. Fat chance of that.

Though selling off unused crap valuable stuff from my vast collection on Craigslist or Ebay comes fairly close to low effort $making. Takes care of coffee and donuts.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Doo-doo, ca-ca, poo-poo...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And good old Number Two!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You said, it, Buddy!

Quote:
"You think it sounds good until you do it,"
Been retired nine months, he is right, it is not a good idea, now it sounds like an excellent idea.

Quote:
"It's a disaster. Wives and adult children aren't waiting around waiting for you to grace them with your presence."
Disaster schmaster, call it anything you want, still sounds excellent to me. I see those kinds of folks on the old schedule, after 6 p.m., thank you.

Quote:
would-be retirees should scope out what they want to do
Huh, I donít even understand this one. Thatís the whole point of RE, you can do what you want, planned or not.

Sorry, I couldnít read any farther, the idiot blogger started using the ďWĒ word (W*rk) repeatedly.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

from the article..."Doing nothing isn't an option. In fact, it's a bad plan. Experts don't disagree about that."

Darnit, I was just perfecting the art.
Oh well....
Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I don't complain about my gall bladder since I don't have one anymore. Anyone wanna hear about my back aches.....?
Wanna borrow mine (gall bladder)? Special weekly rate this month.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Anyone wanna hear about my back aches.....?
Look at the crappy posture those boots/heels is causing. No wonder your back hurts! Wear something sturdy and practical and your back woes will vanish.........

Old 06-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
from the article..."Doing nothing isn't an option. In fact, it's a bad plan. Experts don't disagree about that."

Darnit, I was just perfecting the art.
Oh well....
Obviously the author never read Nord's the fog of work.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Look at the crappy posture those boots/heels is causing. No wonder your back hurts! Wear something sturdy and practical and your back woes will vanish.........
Where's the fun in that?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wives and adult children aren't waiting around waiting for you to grace them with your presence

Reminds me of a corny joke I saw the other day in a magazine: A newly retired guy was quoting his wife who said. "He retired. We have half the income and I have twice the husband. And I'm not wild about either."
Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Wanna borrow mine (gall bladder)? Special weekly rate this month.
Ahhh...now you are a great pal! Let me think it over.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The back woes will vanish, but...ummm...nah, it's not worth it. No pain, no fun gain.....
Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - like mastering meditation on the sound of one hand clapping I have yet to attain guru status in the art of doing absolutely nothing all day.
When I tell people I no longer work, the next question they usually ask is "what do you do all day?"
Well, I look at them with an exhausted smile and answer, "I'm soooo busy doing nothing all day, I just don't have time to do anything else"