You can’t make this stuff up

He should get points for creativity, for sure.

It does remind me, however, of that great line; "It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It" from Robert Fulghum's book "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."

There is a show on A&E called "Live PD" that follows some cops in various jurisdictions that is "live" (although I don't think it's live most of the time, since there are often clues that suggest otherwise) and it will treat the viewer to some absolute buffoonery. I think it should be required watching for anyone who would like to be a law enforcement officer.

DH was on a jury for a DUI case last year where they didn't have a breathalyzer, but a blood test several hours after the crash came back at more than double the legal limit. One of DH's fellow jurors thought that the guy probably wasn't drunk at the time of the accident because the "normal thing to do" would be to have several drinks right before leaving the bar and drive home before you could absorb enough alcohol to fail a DUI test.

I was once rear-ended while sitting at a red light. The guy who hit me was drunk but not stupid. He immediately got out of his car and staggered into a bar on the corner, where he started downing shots in an attempt to convince the cops that his alcohol intake came after the crash, not before.

I watched him do this, dumbfounded, as did the guy I hit when my car was pushed into his. After one or two, he was tossed out of that bar and he went across the street where there was another convenient bar and tried the same thing.

The cops were not fooled, and they took him away. I've read elsewhere that this is not an uncommon tactic, although I'm sure it seldom works.

I recently discovered the Sovereign Citizen movement (Youtube can be a real eye opener). They claim (among many other things) that they can operate their vehicle without a drivers license because they are "traveling" in their car and not "driving". The cops don't ever seem to buy the argument.

Last edited:
I was a bartender during college, late 1970's early 80's, earned more than most jobs. A customer who frequented at lunch, a lovely older man who was super polite, often downed 2,3 vodka martinis, sometimes more. We'd exchange small talk but I was careful not to get too personal with customers, I think it's rude.

One day he said, "Well, I have to get back to my patients. Two root canals today."

Any other crazy stories to share?
Way back when, I went to Traffic Court in Chicago to fight a ticket. There were lots of entertaining stories as people tried to convince the judge of their innocence.

The one I remember best was a lady who said "I plead guilty, but for a reason". The judge asked her to explain. She said: "I was driving home and I thought my car was on fire. So, I started speeding to get home before my car exploded." :D :D

I was once rear-ended while sitting at a red light. The guy who hit me was drunk but not stupid. He immediately got out of his car and staggered into a bar on the corner, where he started downing shots in an attempt to convince the cops that his alcohol intake came after the crash, not before.

I watched him do this, dumbfounded, as did the guy I hit when my car was pushed into his. After one or two, he was tossed out of that bar and he went across the street where there was another convenient bar and tried the same thing.

The cops were not fooled, and they took him away. I've read elsewhere that this is not an uncommon tactic, although I'm sure it seldom works.

I was once hit by a drunk driver who couldn't negotiate a right turn onto a wide road and hit my left front wheel. He got out, breath reeked, couldn't believe I couldn't move my car, mumbled something about being right back, and took off. Fortunately I had plenty of time to get license plate, car description, driver description, and wrote it all down while I waited for the cops.

I recently discovered the Sovereign Citizen movement (Youtube can be a real eye opener). They claim (among many other things) that they can operate their vehicle without a drivers license because they are "traveling" in their car and not "driving". The cops don't ever seem to buy the argument.
I have a weird fascination with these sovereign citizens videos.

I suspect the people behind the movement are just con artists. But, the people on the videos seem to actually believe the drivel they spout even though their arguments are just legal phrases that are completely out of context.

The word is out on them, however, and a lot of police departments have been trained on how to handle their "arguments".

I was hit by a drunk a number of years ago as he tried to make a U turn and hit me. I was able to get his license plate before he took off, and gave it to a police officer that showed up before I called 911. The officer ran the plate and commented it was a former police officer.
The police “investigation” closed with them saying they couldn’t find him and the address was bad. I was able to find the driver’s forwarding address through some connections. I was able to find the car, so I gave the address to my insurance company. They found the guy too. The police still couldn’t find the guy. After two years my insurance company determined the guy didn’t have any assets to get from the guy and gave up. Fortunately, my uninsured motorist coverage paid for my repairs right away. But the guy got away without prosecution for hit and run, thanks to the good ol’ boy network, and my insurance got stuck with the bill.

Back
Top Bottom