Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting. I'd been laid off of a couple of jobs (and had been self-employed as an artist full time, years ago) so I knew what it was like to not have the structure of work - and I LOVE it. For some people it might not work. I am very comfortable with my life - except there doesn't seem to be enough time. Amazing.

This year I'm traveling a lot to make up for the past couple of years where I was ill a lot (and was much more ill when I worked). It's a crazy year but I'm loving it.

I do think it helped that my last manager seemed to not appreciate me, and I was losing my mind at work - and that I knew I had other things, many other things, that I wanted to do while I still had some energy. The stress was killing me.

What I'm finding as I approach 65 (OMG!) is that I feel there's a finite amount of time left when I'll have some energy, and a lot to do in that time. Next year, 2014, I will probably travel a bit less and get some art done. It's all a balancing act. But I regret nothing - except having had to work until 62 to save enough to retire.

Moi, je ne regret rien!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Seven years ago I told my dad I was planning to retire at 55 (this year). He was appalled, telling me not to retire too early fearing I would run out of money. He worked until 69, and wanted to work longer but was forced into retirement by a heart attack. His retirement years were miserable because of his relatively poor health and lack of hobbies. I, on the other hand, have so many hobbies I'll have a hard time fitting them into the day, and I want to pursue them while I still have my health.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Or perhaps they find hanging around the house with the little woman less than scintillating?

Ha
My father recently told me I was "too young to retire." (I retired at 47, am 49 now).

He gave as an example a guy he knew from his childhood who made a fortune from Prohibition and afterwards decided to open a gas station to pass the time since his wife didn't want him hanging around the house.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
Seven years ago I told my dad I was planning to retire at 55 (this year). He was appalled, telling me not to retire too early fearing I would run out of money. He worked until 69, and wanted to work longer but was forced into retirement by a heart attack. His retirement years were miserable because of his relatively poor health and lack of hobbies. I, on the other hand, have so many hobbies I'll have a hard time fitting them into the day, and I want to pursue them while I still have my health.

I agree with you - I have seen my share of 50 somethings pass and being 50 now I am very aware of time passing by fast. I have three kids, college age, two graduating next year. Once that happens I'm out of the full time workforce. I too have so many fun, not expensive, things that I would rather be doing then working and draining away my years for no real reason besides $. Since I have $ and can ER why not!

My plan is to work during the summer at the parks department and then just chill, enjoy travel and my hobbies, the rest of the time.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #65

Someone commented about the risk of being bored at home...

I am currently bored at work. I'd being doing fun stuff if I was home.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Retirement gives me the freedom to do what I want, and not be on someone else's schedule - none of my retired friends has ever regretted stopping w*rk. But we all had things we wanted to do that w*rk was interfering with...
Agreed. I retired as early as I could afford to do so (at age 54.5), and I don't regret it for a minute. If I could have retired earlier, I would have. I guess if you absolutely LOVE your job and can't think of anything you could do (in retirement) that would be more fun and more satisfying than your current job, then it makes sense to keep working.......but I don't think too many people are in that situation.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I love being retired!

We originally retired in 1995 at age 38. We had a very aggressive portfolio and an aggressive withdrawal scheme. Greed totally in control.

By 2005, fear began to assert itself. So I went back to work in Jan 2006 and worked until Dec 2012.

We retired again in Jan 2013 but we now have a less aggressive portfolio and use a more conservative withdrawal approach.

Looking back, we could have stayed retired. My fear was a bit overblown. But not withdrawing from our portfolio for 7 years really helped puff things out.

We can now use a less than 3% AWR and that makes us feel better in this super-low yield investing environment.