Join Early Retirement Today

You don't want to retire too soon....
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

You don't want to retire too soon....

This will be my last year before FIRE, but I have had a couple retirees suggest that I not retire too early. I respected these guys, but , each of them had been retired 10-20 years. My view is that they selectively remember the good days at work ( going to coffee with the boys, being a player, etc ), but misremember the days in traffic, getting up and driving thru snow storms, etc. Anybody else heard these commnets?
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe they are simply running out of money.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
This will be my last year before FIRE, but I have had a couple retirees suggest that I not retire too early. I respected these guys, but , each of them had been retired 10-20 years. My view is that they selectively remember the good days at work ( going to coffee with the boys, being a player, etc ), but misremember the days in traffic, getting up and driving thru snow storms, etc. Anybody else heard these commnets?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, I never ever heard anyone say that.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #4

I'm with Amethyst. Perhaps they wish they had worked a little longer so that they could afford a few more "wants ? Perhaps they are bored after all these years ? I'd be interested in what they say if you asked them about their concerns for you.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

hmm, I don't think they were running out of money. One of these guys was my now deceased Father, and the other was a golf buddy of mine. Neither meant any disrespect, they just cautioned about retiring too early.

I kind of think they missed some of the 'good' things work brought them. Anyway, I have heard it enought to wonder what the community thought.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retirement gives me the freedom to do what I want, and not be on someone else's schedule - none of my retired friends has ever regretted stopping w*rk. But we all had things we wanted to do that w*rk was interfering with...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No one has ever said that to me. They usually say, 'I'll never be able to retire'....
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I'm with Amethyst. Perhaps they wish they had worked a little longer so that they could afford a few more "wants ? Perhaps they are bored after all these years ? I'd be interested in what they say if you asked them about their concerns for you.
As I mentioned, both of these guys had been retired more than a decade. My gut feel is that they may miss some of the social interaction, and the feeling of being a 'player'.

From my perspective, I am an aging IT guy working in a young guys field. Bragging rights after working 70 hour work weeks dont do it for me anymore I can't imagine that I will miss the 2 AM support calls
Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Not ER (yet), but rarely hear those kinds of comments from retirees- whether ER or "normal" age. Much more common are stories about folks who carefully planned a wonderful retirement only to die too soon to enjoy their new lifes. I suspect you are right in hearing some "selective" memories, but I also know there are some who really did enjoy their w#rk lives. And in other cases they simply had nothing to retire to, so w#rk seemed better by default.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One thing to consider if you have any doubts is move to an apartment very near to your work. The commute is for many people a big part of the hassle of work. But if it is just a walk or short bus ride or drive a few miles away from the freeway, it might feel much different.

Your family doesn't even have to move with you.

Ha
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If their concern is not based on finances, perhaps they remember w*rk with rose tinted glasses. Or perhaps they feel that happiness should be rationed somehow.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If their concern is not based on finances, perhaps they remember w*rk with rose tinted glasses. Or perhaps they feel that happiness should be rationed somehow.
Or perhaps they find hanging around the house with the little woman less than scintillating?

Ha
Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know of any people in real life who regret retiring too early, mostly because most people I know retired in their 60s. I think that there are a few people on this board who retired very early (in their 30s and 40s) and who have expressed some concern that they may have retired too soon.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

These guys both retired in their mid fifties, which I guess could be considered early. The comments were well meaning. When I mentioned to my golfing buddy that cancer ran in the family and I wanted to make sure I got to enjoy 'some' retirement time, he got the message immediately. He meant well with his comments, and I took no offense.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Maybe they don't think you are financially prepared, for some reason? That is the only reason I can think of that would inspire them to say something like that. Otherwise, I am stumped.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #16

Sharing that I planned to work another 7-10 years, a retired educator I barely knew said (and I may never forget this):

Just, don't do what I did and keep working "one more year".

When I asked him why he did that, he said his eye was on the bottom line (retirement savings/pension total). He said he wished he had cared less about that number because he and his wife were making it just fine. (I did know his wife well; she volunteered in the library). He wished he had retired three years earlier.

So, i heard don't wait too long, which i think may be better advice.

That was the night my brain started rolling toward the sunlight. I feel it was a very, very fortunate conversation.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Sharing that I planned to work another 7-10 years, a retired educator I barely knew said (and I may never forget this):

Just, don't do what I did and keep working "one more year".

When I asked him why he did that, he said his eye was on the bottom line (retirement savings/pension total). He said he wished he had cared less about that number because he and his wife were making it just fine. (I did know his wife well; she volunteered in the library). He wished he had retired three years earlier.

So, i heard don't wait too long, which i think may be better advice.

That was the night my brain started rolling toward the sunlight. I feel it was a very, very fortunate conversation.
I heard a very similar comment from a great co-worker that retired 6 years before me. She knows now that she could have enjoyed a few more "early" years.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe they don't think you are financially prepared, for some reason? That is the only reason I can think of that would inspire them to say something like that. Otherwise, I am stumped.
+1
Do you live modestly? Maybe they think you can't swing it just because you don't advertise your wealth?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #19

One thing about retiring early is that there are few other people your age who are also retired. So you are either out of sync with people your own age or you are hanging out with people 10 yrs older than you. No problem with that. I'm doing just fine with it. I also don't mind doing things on my own. I make sure I do something social a couple of time a week. But it is a factor to consider when ERing.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually had a patient comment that he regretted retiring at around 50. He said that he wasted his life on nothing after he retired. I guess work had given his life meaning and purpose, his retirement did not.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote