Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I quit because not working was more interesting than working.

By all means work as long as you like.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
The majority of folks on this site "advertise" ER. I get it. Is is called ER.org. What I think Dawg Man(OP) is saying or what I am saying: I am FI. My commute is maybe 15 minutes. My hours are flexible, My boss is hands off, The subject is awesome, The pay is fabulous, I am a subject matter expert(there are others and I won't be missed), I tried ER and didn't like it. They pay me for my knowledge and results not strictly watching the clock(40 hours). DW is still in the same industry and when i was ER for 8 months many (at least 10) days I was where she worked helping out for free. If/when the job sucks in any of the categories mentioned(commute, office politics, etc...), I will quit. I have plenty of time to umpire baseball games, referee volleyball matches and enjoy travel and other hobbies.

Most people on this site have found reasons to quit their jobs. I can't find one yet. Sounds like Dawg Man(OP) can't either.
Not quite correct. Here is the quote again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
Let me be clear... I am not suggesting I want to hang on to my “job” for significance, I’m just suggesting we all have certain talents that might be leveraged in our ER yrs to leave the world a better place. I’m not suggesting everyone should sell all their $hit and open an orphanage in S Africa, but I was just suggesting perhaps some of you felt an itch/pull to do some something “more” with your talents in RE.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually the first time I retired I got bored rather to rapidly (50 yrs old). Went back to work, 1st PT then it morphed into FT. Things got tense so I quit 1/30/17. This time I never seem to have enough hours in the day but I'm not 'productive' in the traditional sense.

For me: it was all about finding something after retiring so it became retiring to something rather than just from something and changing my self identity .... if that makes any sense
Old 12-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post

The first thing I tell people about retirement is that it is not the same as vacation. What you described sounded more like you were looking for a longish vacation. Nope. That is not retirement.

+1
I've long maintained that "if everyday feels like being on vacation" you're still in a work mindset and using 'work' as the reference for 'not working'. You're still not yet mentally retired IMHO.

I believe you reach that point after X months (took me 2 years) and everyday becomes just the way you now live.

I'm sure some will disagree, but that's must my perspective.
You have reached FIRE. So what?
Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have reached FIRE. So what?

Was never particularly important, was good at my j*b but certainly not irreplaceable, and over the course of 43 years was rif’d, fired, outsized, rightsized, and exorcised enough to know that any proclamation of how valuable I was as part of the “team” was total and utter horse puckey.

So, no, don’t miss it, it doesn’t miss me, and I’m happy doing what I want, when I want. If I need to be reminded (I don’t), I can watch “Office Space”, or “The Meaning of Life”...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #66

Since retiring we have done volunteer work and helped 3 disabled friends. 2 have now died. If we get tired of a volunteer activity we quit and wait for the right one to present itself. I think everyone will find what is right for them. Of my retired friends there is a big variety in the way they spend their days. I have some friends that Never volunteer or do anything meaningful but instead just travel and do leisure activities. This is what works for them and I am fine with that. Everyone has earned the right by this stage in life to do what they want.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
......... I have some friends that Never volunteer or do anything meaningful but instead just travel and do leisure activities. ........
Who gets to define "meaningful"?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #68

A guy I once worked with had a sign on his desk that I could relate to. It said, "Deadlines amuse me."

I feel fortunate in that I had a lot of fun at my job. I quit when the periods of annoyance exceeded the periods of amusement.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Actually the first time I retired I got bored rather to rapidly (50 yrs old). Went back to work, 1st PT then it morphed into FT. Things got tense so I quit 1/30/17. This time I never seem to have enough hours in the day but I'm not 'productive' in the traditional sense.

For me: it was all about finding something after retiring so it became retiring to something rather than just from something and changing my self identity .... if that makes any sense

Makes perfect sense to me!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #70

Ya so what if you are FIRE really isn't a big deal I do like my new job and my title better than I did when I was working. My new job is retirement and my title is FIRE. I have way to many things in to do in life then work for someone else each day. Even if the money was great had my own hours and even if I had the time to do the thing I wanted to do you still have a job and a responsibility for something. Life is way to short and so many great thoughts people have said on this thread that is so true. Work till you drop no problem and have fun. I know a guy that just retired at 89 year old. OMG I'm glad I knew how to retire and didn't let work keep me from retiring.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #71

To the OP, I think I am in a similar situation as you. I love my job (mostly) and never thought about early retirement until Megacorp changed the retirement plan 20 years ago and made me realize I would have to do a lot more savings/investing on my own, particularly with college looming for my kids.

I achieve FI several years ago, but with a job that parallels a hobby perhaps 75% of the time and pays extraordinary well, I didn't feel a rush to choose to retire and have continued working. My commute mostly disappeared about 2 years ago so I gained back a couple of hours a day. My salary is way more than enough for us, I do not need any more raises or bonuses (but I have been getting them without asking or trying), and do not need to do the things I used to do to "compete" for a higher position.

However, time is becoming more important than money for me, so I want the time to do whatever I want. Both the "hobby" aspect of my work, and other non-related work hobbies. At the same time, I do not think it is fair to my co-workers to essentially "slack off" in a way that would impact their jobs. Right now my main work objective is to not impact their deadlines. I have farmed out a lot of projects to them (which helps them to compete for better jobs) so assisting them is not hard, but it is more driven by their schedules than mine. They are very reasonable about it, but more and more I my desire is to fully control my own schedule.

In addition, My DW and I enjoy spending time with each other. We have enough in common to share, but enough different interests to not drive each other crazy. We are still in very good physical shape, but we know that will not last, so we want to maximize this time together.

For those reasons is why I plan to RE. I already told my manager of my intent, and particularly my willingness to leave if layoffs occur again and if it will save someone else's job that does not have my flexibility. I will not rule out working part time for Megacorp, if it is a "hobby"-type project. But it that doesn't occur, I have enough other interests and personal relationships that will keep me happily occupied.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #72

If you feel you have enough money including a cushion to provide desired buffer, then the question really becomes whether you'd rather spend more time working for someone else or having complete control over your time to do whatever you want. If you feel you'd enjoy working more, go for it! Not everyone wants to RE, and that's OK.