Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe we can help. How about...

"I've never had much luck with pot."

"Pot doesn't agree with me."

"We're [insert obscure religion here] and don't participate in mystery meals."

Oh REWahoo! You know I always appreciate your helpful suggestions!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Dex, I expect that it couldn't get any cheaper than it already is. People already bring their own place settings, and I expect spend quite a bit less per person than any catering.
Audrey
I never liked the idea of Pot Luck dinners - too much work and I'm not a great cook. I usually asked the organizer - can I bring some snacks & how much should I buy.
The other part is, as others have said, the food is usually uninspired and finally how sanitary was the preparation and handling. Didn't Jonestown, Guyana start out as a Pot Luck dinner?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I would bet there are many residents who go to these events no more often than you go, Audrey (of course you wouldn't know who they were unless you turned into a regular and took attendance). In most groups (charities, social groups, whatever) there seems to be a small faithful core who really enjoy it and keep the functions going, and then the majority are probably more like you. Nice to have it available though for when you feel like touching base.
Yeah, I think the neighbors we have gotten to know are the extroverts, which is perhaps why we know them. And they are a lot of fun. And the extroverts do seem to relish this type of event.

And a strong extrovert probably has a hard time understanding why someone else prefers doing their own thing over socializing with a larger group.

Anyway, they'll get used to us. It is not as if we aren't very friendly on a one on one basis.

Audrey
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just had to comment. I love how this thread title comes across on my computer in the previews section: You know, I really don't care for pot...

I was expecting a VERY different discussion.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Errrrmmmmmm....what's the problem?

You are FI, you are self-sustainably entertained, you are completely un-dependant from 'judgement' from 'others'............why the angst and questioning?

Go f'rit and t''ell' with others' opinions! ;-)
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was expecting a VERY different discussion.
Me, too! Was I ever disappointed!

And, no way would I go to weekly pot luck dinners. That is the introvert in me. That would be too often, pot luck or not. Maybe once every few months or so.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #27

Another introvert here. While I may enjoy an occasional social gathering, I don't need it to be weekly or even monthly if it's mostly the same people.

I've learned to be very leery of mystery dishes left out in the open. What's in it and how long was it in your car before you left it out on the table for 2 hours? Many salads are drowning in too much dressing or too heavy with the mayonnaise.

I'm so NOT a party animal.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I can see that we need to cancel the e-r.org potlucks Andy has in the works....
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
was expecting a VERY different discussion.
Yeah, me too.

The organized pot luck dinners sound like a chore, however
an organized Pot "dinner" sounds much more interesting.

Possible menu:

Multiple bags of doritos-- all flavors
Cheetos variaty pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:
gummy bears and cheesecake!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

You wouldn't make a very good Lutheran!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #31

I think I would be in the group of attending once every couple months or so, but never weekly.
I hope the potlucks aren't mandatory.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Yeah, me too.

Possible menu:

Cheetos variety pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:
Definitely corn dogs.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #33

Wouldn't any sort of organization be antithetical to a pot dinner?

Quote:
Yeah, me too.

Possible menu:

Cheetos variaty pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And if asked whether we are coming on Friday, instead of our usual "oh, we're so busy running errands" or whatever. I think we'll just have to come out of the closet and more or less say that we just really aren't into pot-luck dinners and that's why we don't participate.
I've found that in situations like this, sometimes people "can't handle the truth." That is, if you tell them you're just not a party person, they might decide that you think that you're better than they are, you're stuck up, or you're just weird. Just making excuses may be better, though it might get tiresome week after week.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Yeah, me too.

Possible menu:

Cheetos variaty pack
cheap delivery pizza
corn dogs with mustard
beef jerky
cheese toast
nachos

And for dessert:

I disagree . We need lots of chocolate for dessert and you forgot fried things like mozzarella sticks & jalapeno poppers ! Plus ask the pizza guy to stop at the Wing House on the way .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've found that in situations like this, sometimes people "can't handle the truth." That is, if you tell them you're just not a party person, they might decide that you think that you're better than they are, you're stuck up, or you're just weird. Just making excuses may be better, though it might get tiresome week after week.
Yeah, I think you're right.

I was already asked today by neighbors in the grocery store "So are you coming tonight?".

"Probably not" was out of my mouth before I could even think. Followed by mumbling something about projects we're working on today (which is true).

So, I guess I'm just going to have perpetual excuses. Which is fine, really, since I can't seem to come up with a more general completely inoffensive response. And we're always doing something (even though we usually don't know what it is until the very last minute).

I think what I decided yesterday was that I just wasn't even going to pretend to consider going, whereas up until now in the back of my mind I each week I would think - "maybe we should go this week. So and so will be there. It might be fun. Blah, blah, blah" and then by the time Friday came around I would decide that I really, really didn't want to go. (In this respect, this is very much like "The Dreads" thread from earlier this week).

I'm really looking forward to enjoying my Friday evening at home with our nice new HD A/V system. We finally have off-air HD, since we "invested" in a indoor antenna this week, and we are getting pretty good reception from some key stations.

Audrey
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, I think the neighbors we have gotten to know are the extroverts, which is perhaps why we know them. And they are a lot of fun. And the extroverts do seem to relish this type of event.

And a strong extrovert probably has a hard time understanding why someone else prefers doing their own thing over socializing with a larger group.

Anyway, they'll get used to us. It is not as if we aren't very friendly on a one on one basis.

Audrey

Extrovert here, but a potluck supper would be fun once in a great while, but every Friday...aaaargh! Too routine.
Where I lived last had a big Halloween party for everyone in a huge area. I went to three out of the 6 I could have gone to. Just too many people and too much noise and activity to really talk with anyone. It got old by the third one, and I never went again.
Even us extroverts don't always get into these big group activities. I'd have alot more fun with a smaller group where you could talk and really get to know one another. Even I find big groups with lots of chatter, kids running around and activity going on just...well, draining emotionally. It doesn't rev me up but the opposite: it wears me down. And I'm an extrovert. Just IMHO.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Definitely corn dogs.
Foot long corn dogs.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOITE_CLASSIC.jpg (37.5 KB, 101 views)