Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
"Probably not" was out of my mouth before I could even think. Followed by mumbling something about projects we're working on today (which is true).
So, I guess I'm just going to have perpetual excuses. Which is fine, really, since I can't seem to come up with a more general completely inoffensive response. And we're always doing something (even though we usually don't know what it is until the very last minute).
Personally a weekly potluck sounds like overkill. What's happened in the last week that fills all those conversational hours? It would seem to be a lot easier to cope with if it was on the "first Friday" or some monthly schedule.

But there's always the Miss Manners approach:
"I have such a difficult time with large crowds that it takes a lot of effort to handle the stress. With everything else we've been working on, and all the problems we've had getting parts for weekend projects, by the time we get to Friday night I'm usually just too exhausted to think about facing the potluck. For now my DH and I are going to keep trying to go to one every month or so and see how I do."

or,

"Um, well, this is really kind of embarrassing to talk about, but Friday night has always been a very romantic date night for us and after a week of rushing around we really look forward to our special nights, I mean times. We're going to try to make a potluck on the third Friday each month but it's so difficult to give up that time with each other and if one thing leads to another..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords! Love your suggestions! A bit long-winded for me. But still.....

I think I can feel safe that something will turn up every Friday that requires our immediate attention. And something did today. DH found an unterminated water line in the garden, and then a major leak somewhere else. So right as everyone else was driving over to the clubhouse for dinner, DH and I were busy digging up grass to find a big gash in a soaker hose and then figuring out how to jury-rig it to hold up until the lawn maintenance people can repair it properly next week.

At this point, I think we are the only ones in the neighborhood not attending. Seriously! Maybe the others are so enthusiastic because they just got back here within the past week or so.

Audrey

Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nords! Love your suggestions! A bit long-winded for me. But still.....
Well, of course it's long-winded, that's the whole idea!

You're supposed to just blather away on the subject for two or three paragraphs until the nosy gossip concerned neighbor is ready to chew their own arm off to get away from you. And with those sorts of social excuses, they're certainly not going to continue deposing you with penetrating followup questions...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Besides the pressure of having to get together every week I have no interest in coming up with a dish that often .
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Besides the pressure of having to get together every week I have no interest in coming up with a dish that often .
Oh yeah, I hear 'ya. I have two staple recipes these days: a tortellini and marinated vegetable salad for winter; and a caprese salad for summer. I went into a major funk when the Filipina caterer closed up shop a few years ago. I used to order four dozen lumpia from her and watch them be scarfed up like there was no tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #46

Good point. I wasn't even thinking of what a drag to come up with some dish every single week....ugh.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #47

Become known for your "specialty" like marshmellowed-asparagus (with a prune sauce)* and they'll eventually quit asking if you are coming.

*Apologies to the late, great George Carlin.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #48

Interesting, we live in a remote area. Closest town is about 15 miles away. We have a 'Friday Windown'. Our Golf Club closed a little over a year ago. So to keep the happy hour going we rotate homes. It is BYOB, and host provides chips and dip. Low key, and I would say we have about 60% participation on any given Friday. It last about 2 hours.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"Um, well, this is really kind of embarrassing to talk about, but Friday night has always been a very romantic date night for us and after a week of rushing around we really look forward to our special nights, I mean times. We're going to try to make a potluck on the third Friday each month but it's so difficult to give up that time with each other and if one thing leads to another..."
A Spiritual Shabbat Orientation - My Jewish Learning
Enjoy!

Shabbat is a time for simplicity, but not asceticism. Fasting is forbidden on Shabbat. The physical world is not denied; rather, it is to be savored. We are to enjoy good food and wine. The tradition encourages couples to have sex on Friday night. Yet Shabbat discourages the acquiring of material things.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah - that definitely was a big part of "The Dreads" for me!

I really don't have time to cook for Pot Luck right now, especially if I have to match a food "theme" each week. And running to a restaurant to get something to go for a pot luck dinner just seems silly plus $$$.

Well anyway - like I said, the food so far at the dinners has been pretty ho-hum at best. We're both picky eaters. I just can't get excited about going if I don't really expect to enjoy the meal.

Audrey
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Become known for your "specialty" like marshmellowed-asparagus (with a prune sauce)* and they'll eventually quit asking if you are coming.

*Apologies to the late, great George Carlin.
Oooo! Good one!

Audrey
Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Interesting, we live in a remote area. Closest town is about 15 miles away. We have a 'Friday Windown'. Our Golf Club closed a little over a year ago. So to keep the happy hour going we rotate homes. It is BYOB, and host provides chips and dip. Low key, and I would say we have about 60% participation on any given Friday. It last about 2 hours.
During the normal season here there is a weekly "Social Hour" where everyone brings their own drinks, chairs, plates, and brings an appetizer.

The meal is a monthly cook-out thing. First Friday of the month - bring your own food to grill at the clubhouse, and bring a side dish to share. This approach is much more manageable IMO.

But still I think we only went to one of the cookouts last season. It was a bit challenging sharing grill space with everyone. I burned my lamb chops because someone else's food was dripping on mine plus the fire on my side of the grill was way too hot.

If we ever do that again I'll grill my meat at home and then take it!

Audrey
Old 08-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Polish "surf & turf"

Kielbasa & Carp...
Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We used to get together at friends houses every other month but now we have started a once a month dinner at a local restaurant that lets us eat slowly & linger over drinks . We all really enjoy it because it's just enough togetherness without the work .
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone identify? (heh, heh with all the introverts here, I expect I am not alone).
Idea for a cartoon: A meeting room with a banner that says "Welcome Introverts!" and there's no one there.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Idea for a cartoon: A meeting room with a banner that says "Welcome Introverts!" and there's no one there.
I think Gary Larson beat you to it, T-Al.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Well I had a really nice week not thinking about this Friday's pot luck at all.

This evening a neighbor asked me if we were going to the dinner. I just smiled and said no. He mentioned something about how they have a lot of fun when they get together. At that, the ready excuses flowed from my lips - about being busy with projects or tired from a busy week.

I guess the other folks here are really into the weekly pot luck dinner thing.

But gosh, it was so nice not even thinking about going!

Audrey