Join Early Retirement Today

You Know That You Have settled Into Retirement.........
Old 09-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Background: I FIRE'ed about 14 months ago from being a school principal.

Saturday evening, my wife and I were playing cribbage, which we have regularly done for over 25 years. During the game, i must have had a pensive look on my face which my wife had always recognized (as worry about my students, problems with personnel, achievement scores pressure, etc). When she asked me what was on my mind, I replied, "I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".

I love retirement.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know i've retired when I give a blank stare at my neighbors/friends who complain about work. How are we supposed to respond to that?
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

When you say to your wife, "On which two days of the week should I shave?"
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
"I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".
D
Well, don't leave us all hanging, man! What did you decide?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #5

When I stopped calling the bank 2 days before pension check was supposed to be direct deposited. Then continue to call until it hit my account.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

When I realized that I had to keep the newspaper subscription up in part so I'd know what day of the week it was. This matters because the grocery stores can't sell wine before 1:00 PM on Sundays and once I wasted a trip there.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".

I love retirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, don't leave us all hanging, man! What did you decide?
Yes, please let us know, I'm about to be faced with that same dilemma as I'm writing this.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yes, please let us know, I'm about to be faced with that same dilemma as I'm writing this.
You can't drink all day long if you don't start in the morning
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I think they are still sitting there....................................
Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I realized that I had to keep the newspaper subscription up in part so I'd know what day of the week it was. ....
I recall taking a day off a few years after my Dad retired to go golfing with him and a family friend who was also retired. For some reason, the day of the week came up while we were driving to the golf course.... they were two days off... and argued with me what day of the week it was.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It seems like it should be hard, but complaints about work are usually not about work, they're about the annoying people there. It's easy to sympathize, at least I find it so. Even my friend, who ERd into a large inheritance which they appear to be having trouble spending fast enough, has plenty to gripe about with the behavior of people on fancy cruises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I know i've retired when I give a blank stare at my neighbors/friends who complain about work. How are we supposed to respond to that?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I replied, "I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".
Trash? Aren't you going to recycle them?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Trash? Aren't you going to recycle them?
I have been rightfully eco-shamed.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
When you say to your wife, "On which two days of the week should I shave?"
That would be great if I could only remember which day of the week it is. Somehow I was able to keep track while working.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #15

I am sitting in my office laughing as I read this thread (I don't know why. I should be crying )

For years after retirement, my father-in-law kept his daily schedule on a large note card. He loved to pull it out and read it to me. After getting to the last bullet (which was "have another glass of wine"), he'd smile at me and say something like "Sigh. Another day without having to go to the office."

My wife does not have his sense of humor. She would think he was rubbing it in. But, in a lot of ways, I know her dad better. He always said this with a good-natured twinkle in his eye and I enjoyed the routine as much as he did. In fact, if he forgot, I would prompt him: "What's on the agenda for tomorrow Dad?"
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Back in early 2016, my dad (85 and retired for 20 years) and I were going to drive from LI to MA to visit my brother and his family (wife and son). But on the Friday morning we were going to go, it was snowing out so we canceled the trip. On the Wednesday 2 weeks later, me dad tells me, "The weather will be okay. Let's go to MA on Friday." Both of us retired, he knew we could easily schedule an out-of-town trip on a moment's notice. We made the weekend trip and had a good time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #17

A retired coworker on a fishing trip with a friend of mine:

Working friend: How do you always remember what day it is when you aren't working anymore?
Retired friend: It says what day it is right on top of the pill organizer that I use every morning!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I am sitting in my office laughing as I read this thread (I don't know why. I should be crying )

For years after retirement, my father-in-law kept his daily schedule on a large note card. He loved to pull it out and read it to me. After getting to the last bullet (which was "have another glass of wine"), he'd smile at me and say something like "Sigh. Another day without having to go to the office."

My wife does not have his sense of humor. She would think he was rubbing it in. But, in a lot of ways, I know her dad better. He always said this with a good-natured twinkle in his eye and I enjoyed the routine as much as he did. In fact, if he forgot, I would prompt him: "What's on the agenda for tomorrow Dad?"
Awesome, I Like your Father In Law .
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

When the very nice waiter or waitress at a restaurant smiles as we leave, and says "Have a nice day"... and I respond, "We will, and you too!" I feel so awkward and guilty saying that, because they are at WORK at what I imagine would be a tedious and tiring job, and I am retired and going off to do whatever I want to.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Retired friend: It says what day it is right on top of the pill organizer that I use every morning!

That is the method I use. I also find it very handy to use the calendar on my phone. Aside from appointments, the only important day is trash day.