You Know That You Have settled Into Retirement.........

erkevin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Background: I FIRE'ed about 14 months ago from being a school principal.

Saturday evening, my wife and I were playing cribbage, which we have regularly done for over 25 years. During the game, i must have had a pensive look on my face which my wife had always recognized (as worry about my students, problems with personnel, achievement scores pressure, etc). When she asked me what was on my mind, I replied, "I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".

I love retirement.:D

I know i've retired when I give a blank stare at my neighbors/friends who complain about work. How are we supposed to respond to that?

When I stopped calling the bank 2 days before pension check was supposed to be direct deposited. Then continue to call until it hit my account.

When I realized that I had to keep the newspaper subscription up in part so I'd know what day of the week it was. This matters because the grocery stores can't sell wine before 1:00 PM on Sundays and once I wasted a trip there.

"I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".

I love retirement.:D

Well, don't leave us all hanging, man! What did you decide? :confused:
:D
Yes, please let us know, I'm about to be faced with that same dilemma as I'm writing this.

When I realized that I had to keep the newspaper subscription up in part so I'd know what day of the week it was. ....

I recall taking a day off a few years after my Dad retired to go golfing with him and a family friend who was also retired. For some reason, the day of the week came up while we were driving to the golf course.... they were two days off... and argued with me what day of the week it was. :facepalm:

It seems like it should be hard, but complaints about work are usually not about work, they're about the annoying people there. It's easy to sympathize, at least I find it so. Even my friend, who ERd into a large inheritance which they appear to be having trouble spending fast enough, has plenty to gripe about with the behavior of people on fancy cruises.

I know i've retired when I give a blank stare at my neighbors/friends who complain about work. How are we supposed to respond to that?

I replied, "I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".

Trash? Aren't you going to recycle them?

I am sitting in my office laughing as I read this thread (I don't know why. I should be crying :D )

For years after retirement, my father-in-law kept his daily schedule on a large note card. He loved to pull it out and read it to me. After getting to the last bullet (which was "have another glass of wine"), he'd smile at me and say something like "Sigh. Another day without having to go to the office."

My wife does not have his sense of humor. She would think he was rubbing it in. But, in a lot of ways, I know her dad better. He always said this with a good-natured twinkle in his eye and I enjoyed the routine as much as he did. In fact, if he forgot, I would prompt him: "What's on the agenda for tomorrow Dad?" :LOL:

Back in early 2016, my dad (85 and retired for 20 years) and I were going to drive from LI to MA to visit my brother and his family (wife and son). But on the Friday morning we were going to go, it was snowing out so we canceled the trip. On the Wednesday 2 weeks later, me dad tells me, "The weather will be okay. Let's go to MA on Friday." Both of us retired, he knew we could easily schedule an out-of-town trip on a moment's notice. We made the weekend trip and had a good time.

A retired coworker on a fishing trip with a friend of mine:

Working friend: How do you always remember what day it is when you aren't working anymore?
Retired friend: It says what day it is right on top of the pill organizer that I use every morning!

I am sitting in my office laughing as I read this thread (I don't know why. I should be crying :D )

For years after retirement, my father-in-law kept his daily schedule on a large note card. He loved to pull it out and read it to me. After getting to the last bullet (which was "have another glass of wine"), he'd smile at me and say something like "Sigh. Another day without having to go to the office."

My wife does not have his sense of humor. She would think he was rubbing it in. But, in a lot of ways, I know her dad better. He always said this with a good-natured twinkle in his eye and I enjoyed the routine as much as he did. In fact, if he forgot, I would prompt him: "What's on the agenda for tomorrow Dad?" :LOL:

Awesome, I Like your Father In Law . :)

When the very nice waiter or waitress at a restaurant smiles as we leave, and says "Have a nice day"... and I respond, "We will, and you too!" I feel so awkward and guilty saying that, because they are at WORK at what I imagine would be a tedious and tiring job, and I am retired and going off to do whatever I want to.

Retired friend: It says what day it is right on top of the pill organizer that I use every morning!

That is the method I use. I also find it very handy to use the calendar on my phone. Aside from appointments, the only important day is trash day.

I used to care about what I wore in public. Now I don't look like a bum or anything but comfort has taken over. The only I day I get really spiffed up now is for Church on Sunday.

You know you've settled in to retirement when

you find yourself in the middle of a dead stop traffic jam and you smile a little at the other drivers honking and swearing

On second thought, I guess I haven't completely settled in b/c I scheduled a dr's appointment too close to rush hour.

Awesome, I Like your Father In Law . :)
Thank you. He really is a great guy.

Another thing he loved to do would be to shake my hand, look at his daughter, and then turn back to me and say to me with exaggerated earnestness "Thank you."

We'd laugh everytime he did it. It never got old for us. And every time, my wife would grumble and say to him "Gee, thanks Dad." :LOL:

I knew we settled in, when my wife returned from her comprehensive physical with her concierge doctor. She was distraught, "I failed my memory test!", she said. "They asked me the day and date, and I didn't know!"

We have arrived!!

Back
Top Bottom