Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired one month ago. No boredom yet!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been retired for 3 years. Do I get bored sometimes? Sure! But never as bored as I was in staff meetings, conference calls, annual reviews, etc.

The antidote for being bored in retirement is to start a running list of fun things you always dreamed of doing, then get up off your butt and start doing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
It's kinda funny...my Grandad (really, he's my father since he raised me and my actual father is MIA) owned his own business and was successful with it. He closed up shop when he was 62 and he has told me repeatedly that the only regret he has in life was that he didn't retire much earlier. In relative terms, he did (and continues to have) a good retirement, but I think he would have liked to do more with his DW that wasn't in very good health for several years before her passing a couple of years ago. I suspect that he could have retired 15 years earlier...but his generation was a glass-empty in regards to money. He's absolutely ecstatic at me being FIRE, so we get along pretty well.
In that case I would just hang out with your Grandad and ignore the other relative.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #44

I have a brother in law who keeps sending me leads on jobs. I'm close to him - we worked together 20 years ago and he's the one who fixed me up with my husband. I've explained that I *retired* - that I'm not looking for work. He doesn't get it.

I finally had to explain that if I got another job I would have a hard time fitting it in my schedule- I'm waitlisted for an Italian 101 class at the local jr. college. I'm coaching my son's robotics team. And I am enjoying going on long walks with my dog in an effort to get back into shape. Work doesn't fit into that....

I've only been retired 5 1/2 weeks. Last week during the "whee" market I had 2 coworkers reach out to ask if I was coming back now that the market was going down. I laughed and said I'd be fine.

Some folks just don't get it.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #45

I never understand the "you'll be bored" comment.
So if retirement equals boredom, no one should ever retire?
All should work until dead or disabled?
Or is there some magical age at which you don't get bored?
What is it about being old that prevents this boredom of which they speak?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post

That's a really good point!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #47

My RE schedule is thus. Trading & internet surfing in the morning, exercise, gardening, golf practice and/or round in the afternoon, and reading and other hobbies in the rest of the night. I will have to wind down and just relax on weekend. When & how can I squeeze in traveling? Busy, busy, busy ...
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I never have figured out why dad gave him such a hard time... And yes, dad can be strange. :-)

Mine hasn't given me a hard time but he doesn't "get it". In fact he is pushing 80 and after taking him for a surgery a few days ago within 10 minutes of being out of recovery room he was already saying he hopes the surgery got rid of the pain enough to go back to work. It just cracks me up. He says maybe he can now get a few more good years of work in before he dies. And no he doesn't need any money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Alright, there are boring times. I've been scaling back my work for a decade now. I've
mistakenly taken on more responsibility ( stressful volunteer work managing an organization and also some land-lording stuff ) I wish I just fully retired.. That way I could travel more
or take more extended trips.

Plan stuff and don't stay at home.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I've been retired for 3 years. Do I get bored sometimes? Sure! But never as bored as I was in staff meetings, conference calls, annual reviews, etc.
Ain't that the truth. It's funny how you get to the point where you lose patience with all this corporate stuff, even if you took it in stride for decades. It's a sure sign that it's time to go.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
In that case I would just hang out with your Grandad and ignore the other relative.
Funny you mention that. Every Sunday he holds a "Happy Hour" (that lasts about 4-5 hours) that some of his retired older friends (75+ years old) attend on a weekly basis and it is one of the great highlights of my week! I guess I just have an "old" heart!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Most here haven't found retirement boring (a few just won't admit it), but it certainly happens to some people - the fortunate few who actually enjoy their careers for example. I suspect retirement boredom often afflicts people who were largely bored outside their careers to begin with.

Top 10 reasons people get bored with retirement | Moneywise News

+1. I understand a few items on the list, but not "My mind wasn't being pushed" or "Every day was the same". Someone who feels this way clearly isn't taking the initiative to turn their retirement into what they want it to be. Rather, they're just sitting there letting life come at them.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
+1. I understand a few items on the list, but not "My mind wasn't being pushed" or "Every day was the same". Someone who feels this way clearly isn't taking the initiative to turn their retirement into what they want it to be. Rather, they're just sitting there letting life come at them.
"My mind not being pushed" and "Every day was the same" describes most of my w*rking life. Perhaps I should have stayed in a technical field but, unfortunately, I seem to have been good at people related things even though I never found interacting with people very interesting or intellectually challenging (emotionally challenging is something else). When I taught high school, I always told my students that they should be careful what they were good at because they would likely end up HAVING to do that.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I agree. I'd rather deal with the boredom problem (and I have a ton of interests and volunteer opportunities that could take up my entire life if I said yes to all of them) than go back to work!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #55

I'm far from being bored. I have so many hobbies and projects going that it's hard to keep them all straight. I think it's important for a prospective retiree to set up leisure activities before they retire so that boredom has no chance of setting in when they retire.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
When I taught high school, I always told my students that they should be careful what they were good at because they would likely end up HAVING to do that.
Isn't that the truth!

When I was a kid, video games fascinated me, and then the age of personal computers at home began. My first computer was an Atari 400. So I got drawn into the whole computers and programming thing, which led to a career in the IT field.

For for first handful of years, I enjoyed it, but as time went on, I grew to hate it. Sitting in an office building, in a cube, pecking away at a keyboard, and starting at a computer all day got old. Plus, every program ever written does the same basic things - take input, process it, and produce output. After a while, every program and system I ever wrote (and still continue to write) seems like I'm just doing the same boring thing over and over again.

That's probably the curse for 99% of the workforce out there. People get pigeon-holed into working at something they might be good at, but don't enjoy (or in my case, don't enjoy any more).
Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post

Another +1
As I am talking about retiring I get the same comments or that I'm too young to retire (55). I heard this from my Aunt and Uncle (who retired around the same age ). I think in their case they just don't see me as 55 but as a young kid still. Others don't know what I do outside of work that well and think I can't fill up that 50ish hours with hobbies etc (which I certainly can).

I do believe if you are very social not having a work environment might be tough as you won't have people around to talk to all the time. But I'm happy alone or with just DW so this isn't a concern if you are comfortable with time alone or without people your age.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Another +1
I'm happy alone or with just DW so this isn't a concern if you are comfortable with time alone or without people your age.
I'm the same way. Yesterday in the office, my co-w*rkers were out flying and I hung around to take care of some menial tasks. The silence around here was GREAT! Of course, today everyone is around and someone actually felt the need to heat up their lunch and eat it in my office. Really?!? Oh man...just 62 days to go!

Back on point...I do like to socialize, but I do it infrequently. I have always been somewhat independent and enjoy my alone/quiet time.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Isn't that the truth!

When I was a kid, video games fascinated me, and then the age of personal computers at home began. My first computer was an Atari 400. So I got drawn into the whole computers and programming thing, which led to a career in the IT field.

For for first handful of years, I enjoyed it, but as time went on, I grew to hate it. Sitting in an office building, in a cube, pecking away at a keyboard, and starting at a computer all day got old. Plus, every program ever written does the same basic things - take input, process it, and produce output. After a while, every program and system I ever wrote (and still continue to write) seems like I'm just doing the same boring thing over and over again.

That's probably the curse for 99% of the workforce out there. People get pigeon-holed into working at something they might be good at, but don't enjoy (or in my case, don't enjoy any more).
I tried fighting this by changing careers every 5 years, but it can be difficult to improve one's financial situation if one is really rebooting into a totally new field every five years (plus it can be hard on the family). So eventually, I just started changing workplaces every few years. This helped, but not much. In retirement I can flit from interest to interest and not worry about how it will effect my income.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #60

I can only say the best way to prove "them" wrong is through results and time. It sounds like you have it worked out and so now go implement your retirement plans and show everyone that you are making it just fine. Have fun while showing the doubters that you are right and they are wrong.

It does seem there are variations in personality types and some of those just can't get out of the working mode. Too bad they are not able to see alternate viewpoints.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote