Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by John3754 View Post
My advice would be to stop worrying about what other people think, most people are dumb assess anyway.
Does "dumb assess" describe the process of making a faulty evaluation?

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, my first thoughts are that this is not your problem, and maybe you need a new family member.

But I haven't solved the problem either. I've been ER'd for over 12 years, and my father-in-law is still convinced that my chronic inability to find a job means that his daughter is going to be on the streets any day now. At least his only granddaughter has managed to escape the nest with her own career and income, although it bothers him to hear her fantasize about the same crazy goal. Clearly this ER hallucination is inherited or contagious.

The polite response to your family member (and the rest of society) is "Well, I'm going to spend a few months with family & friends and then take a look at my next career." That's probably the only response you should give, and if he pursues the details then you could give him a cool look and change the subject. It's working well in my family.

Myths Of Military Retirement And Early Retirement - Military Guide

It's possible that family member sentiments are based on love & concern. Perhaps my FIL thinks that too. However you can't change their attitudes or fears, and envy/jealousy is also their problem. The best you can do is to set a good example of a happy spouse and human being. You may never change their mind, but they'll eventually stop talking about it.

Financial responsibility, not financial independence.

DoD needs to discourage servicemembers from selling our secrets to the enemy, and nobody wants to see military veterans sleeping under highway overpasses. But beyond those basics, financial education is not a defense program.
Nords! Thanks for the words! I have spend a considerable amount of time on your blog and have read your guide as well (about a year ago)...what you (and other contributors to the blog and guide) have done for the military community is commendable. There have been several people who lacked basic understanding of retirement (in regards to being in the military) I have w*rked with and I have pointed them to your site and they too have been quite thankful.

It's ironic as well that the family member that has been such a nay sayer is a retired O-5 but still doesn't have a pot to well, you know. His last home was financed by some shady mortgage company out of the Philippines as no other company would accept his OVER 50% DTI (this DRI is *before* the new mortgage! )

Anyway, with 60 w*rking days left, I am realizing that my retirement list is getting longer and longer and I certainly hope that I can live 40+ more years so I can get it all knocked out! And, I am hoping to an extent that eventually that I *AM BORED*!! But, don't think that's going to happen.

Oh yeah Nords...hope you made it though the storms out there OK...that will keep you from being bored FOR SURE!

Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Mom retired at 59 and was never bored. She was very busy with volunteer work, senior activities, Making crafts, traveling, etc. I was sick of the 9-5 but not of my job because due to being a SAHM & going to college I started my career later then many. I retired at 58 but knew I would not be happy with the stuff that my Mom did & that I would want to work p.t. for myself and also teach a class at the university. I also have time to take some friends with major health problems on errands, doc appts, etc. I really feel that now I have the best of both worlds. Many of our friends were happy for us. My hubby was 53 & also works p.t. in his field. However, one couple were very jealous of our pensions which are small. The woman went so far as to leave a voicemail at work telling me why I should not retire. After about 1 1/2 years we dropped them due to the negativity. They are 10 years older and can't retire because you guessed-they live too high on the hog. They inherited some $ and instead of paying off their home that was nice but modest they bought a very expensive home and many toys, etc. If one of them gets too sick to work I could see them losing everything. WE also downsized our home to a 1400sq ft fixer upper that we completely renovated before moving in. Of course they also thought this was a big mistake even though we paid cash.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe
I get the 'aren't you bored' line from folks that don't know me. My friends all say that they can't keep up with me and to please, please, please stay on facebook so they at least know what end of the world I'm in

I finally broke down and got an appointment book so I can keep things straight. I honestly don't know how I found time to work at a job!

TxGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote