Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Your Cheapness Threshold
Old 05-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
How do you decide what toilet paper to buy?
Someone on this forum a few months ago discussed a brand he would never buy, no matter how tough things got. It was "John Wayne" Toilet Paper. You know...the type that's kinda rough and doesn't take cr*p off anybody.

REW, 14 days to eR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had high class TP in the outhouse when I was little.

Spoiled American I guess??
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
Ahhh . . . another manic comparison shopper. So let me ask you a question . . . How do you decide what toilet paper to buy?

I gave up and make my wife decide.
We're more alike than you'd probably like.

For years I bought the Kirkland fine grade sand...I mean...toilet paper. Cheap, huge rolls, fine with me. When we moved to our current locale, the costco was too far away, but we have a sams about a mile away. When I went shopping, they were out of the el cheapo sams/members mark brand so I got the charmin ultra.

My wife informed me that would be what I'd be buying in the future. If I valued my life that is.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I gave up my Costco membership years ago.

I figured why should I pay these guys so I can shop there.

The supermarkets here in Canada have a supersize aisle that will match anything that Costco or Sam's has.

Specials at Home Depot or Wal-Mart let me keep the Costco fee in the Zipper pocket. :P
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #25

I find it's best to stay with one brand of toilet paper.* Without getting too graphic, I'll say that variations in strength can lead to unfortunate consequences.* We've standardized on Charmin Ultra, which is probably the most expensive.* But you use much less when the stuff is strong.* OK, too much information. :P

Based on info from this forum and another, I've seen the light and become a born-again grocery tightwad.* *Because of bad habits from the time when we were very busy, and didn't have time to shop carefully, we've been spending way more than necessary.* I expect to save over $1,000 in the next year.

My main weapon is a database of food prices, so that those evil grocery store marketers won't be able to trick me into thinking something is on sale when it's not.

Here are the sites that gave me religion:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cheap/20040518a1.asp

http://sheknows.com/about/look/2154.htm

http://www.hotlib.com/articles/show....y_On_Groceries

Old 05-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps - in deferance to old time religon - er ah the old forum:

Dryer sheet brands - able to stand recycling??

TP or dryer sheets? Call me 'old school' but I'd rather be cheap with dryer sheets and go top drawer on TP.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
On my bicycle rides I was usually stopped by the light at a particular intersection for 2-3 minutes. One day I noticed that a penny had sunk into the blacktop. Then I saw several more nearby. Unfortunately I didn't have an edged tool with me to dig them out.
Of course I raced home, grabbed a knife, and started to remount. Then I realized that I'd be riding five miles uphill to sit in a three-lane intersection digging less than five cents out of the asphalt (and doubtless the EMTs would soon be doing the same with me). Gee, good thing I was wearing a helmet.
When I ride my bike around the city, I see the streets paved with (fake) copper but I pass them by. It just isn't worth my time to stop and pick them up but I do stop when I see an occasional nickel, dime or quarter. I did find a $10 bill once.

MJ
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Cheapest soft toilet paper - Angel Soft in the 24-36 roll pack - Walmart

Biggest "found money" find - $60 (3 folded $20) on the sidewalk outside my apt in Philly.

DrLLLong

PS I also do the "how many quarters" debate at the parking meters at the library (only place I go that has parking meters) when I don't see a spot with time on the meter.
DrJDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

As someone who bought Charmin Ultra for several years, I want to let you guys know that Quilted Northern is actually much better. I switched a while back. Give it a try and see if you agree.

BristolBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
* One day I noticed that a penny had sunk into the blacktop.* Then I saw several more nearby.* Unfortunately I didn't have an edged tool with me to dig them out.
* *Nords, that sounds like me .... *
* *Since we're doing true confessions here ... I admit, I dug 2 pennies out from under the plastic cover on the counter at CVS. I always pick the darn things up if I can *... maybe they'll lead me to bigger prey

* *Al, that database you're talking about is called a price book -- used by devout disciples of Amy D. *

* * My threshold involves grocery shopping ... I may, while I'm at store A, buy things that I know are a bit cheaper at store B. *It's not always worth the extra time and gas to shop at 2 stores ...
* * As for TP, I pretty much *look for sales-plus-coupons and figure that if I can get a 4-roll pack for less than 75 cents, I'm doing well. *Funny, but we have a lot of Angel Soft in the house, too ...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesLife
I like Blue Bunny ice cream.* I can always buy the cheaper store version for less and most of the time I do buy store brands, but not for ice cream.*
Ah well, no Blue Bunny here.* And maybe there's "shrinkage" in the shipping container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
My main weapon is a database of food prices, so that those evil grocery store marketers won't be able to trick me into thinking something is on sale when it's not.
Ya know, I think we've finally found a purpose for our kid's Palm Pilot...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Do any of you have a similar cheapness threshold?
I do not have a particular threshold but have a tendency to optimize. That is, I always shop arround for the best price. As to the meter case, I never put more coins than I need to.

Spanky
Old 05-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #33

Mean spirited kids in my 1960s junior high school used to throw pennies on the ground to see who would stoop to pick them up. Recovering them was good practice on my way to becoming a millionaire later in life.

I not only pick up coins laying on top of the ground, I also dig them up from underground after locating them with a metal detector. The wife and I found plenty of jewelry using the metal detector, too.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I tried that 'quilted northern' stuff once. I was advised that if I would like to see my wife naked again EVER...that I'd start buying that charmin ultra stuff again. It do feel like soft cotton on ones behind, and I *am* rathr fond of seeing my wife naked, so....

As far as the walmart and grocery guys matching up with the costo and sams clubs of the world, perhaps on some items, but not on the range of products.

I just bought a jug (it looks like its about the same size as a gallon of milk) of sour cream for $5. We had a mexican fiesta this weekend with the whole family and I have a range of recipes all calling for 1-2 cups of sour cream each that will make that tub cry uncle by the end of this week. The cheapest 8oz I could find at the cheapest market was almost $3. I bought 3lbs of "fake k-rab" for $5.50. I can sneak that into a dozen recipes between now and the end of civilization when it's supposed to go bad. I bought 2 huge jars of green olives for $3.60. Cant touch that in any market. 5Lbs of very good pasta for $3.50. Six jars of excellent pasta sauce for $3.90.

Just scratching the surface...you cant do this in a regular supermarket in the jumbo section, I've tried. I go to the regular market once a week, sams club 3-4 times. Its a fun challenge when I get 3 metric tons of something to find a dozen recipes to put it in without it becoming onerous, but I get the job done.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:34 AM   #35

Hello th. Not all of us are that excited about seeing our wives naked (Gosh, I hope she doesn't read that one).

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:57 AM   #36

I NEVER pass up so much as a penny, ever! Speaking of "found money", I have stories (surprise surprise)

I was walking the dog on my birthday several years ago and found a $20 bill in the gravel. The next day at the same spot the dog comes
out of the grass with a $20 in her mouth (Good dog)
We spent an hour combing the grass for 100 yards in either
direction. No more cash.

I was traveling sonewhere and stopped for gas. There was a
$10 bill blowing around outside on the ground. I was ready to leave when I spotted it just as it blew under someone's car.
I waited until they drove away which seemed like forever.
Most I ever found at one time was $40.

JG
Old 05-13-2005, 03:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolBane
As someone who bought Charmin Ultra for several years, I want to let you guys know that Quilted Northern is actually much better.* I switched a while back.* Give it a try and see if you agree.

In view of how it is used, should it be called "Quilted Southern"?

JG
Old 05-13-2005, 06:26 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Generic(Sunbelt) dryer sheets and Winn-Dixie store brand TP.

Scott - 1000 sheet rolls - for 'a luxury wipe' on special occasions.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not cheap! I just get a lot for my money.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Da SO brought a free 5 gal or so glass chemical jug from work - took 12 years - $ 298 of pennies - bottom ones had turned green - the bank almost threw me out. No more!

I'll leave the pennies to the pros. Dryer sheet recycling and maybe! just maybe generic TP!