Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Before I ER'ed, I came into this area of the forum to stay motivated. I was insanely envious of the posters. I hope I can serve the same purpose for aspiring early retiree's.

And yes, the quality of a nights sleep has improved a thousandfold!
This is why I read threads like this one - they remind me what I have to look forward to in a few years' time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Despite it being #1 (of about 30 things), on my Post-ER "To-Do" Manifesto, the intensity in which I have attacked improving my fitness level has really surprised me. Removal of work related stress has basically eliminated my desire for booze and fast food, which were obviously my ill conceived coping mechanisms. Add to this an ever increasing enjoyment of actual EXERCISE. With improving fitness, the workouts get less torturous and now are getting almost, dare I say it, ENJOYABLE? I am now able to workout longer and longer... it's almost becoming like a self perpetuating fitness machine. And because I am working out like a fiend, there is now a natural avoidance of unhealthy foods that would neutralize the benefits of the hard work. DW doesn't know what to make of it - except that she is enjoying the results in hubby's transformation. That is what losing 45lbs will do I guess.
That is some serious good news. Congratulations. Interesting how one good habit leads to another, to another.

There are others I see in my life who retire, and I think, now there's no excuse not to exercise or take better care of one's body. But I see even less walking and more TV watching. I don't get it, but it is a reality.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #23

Not really a surprise, but what I really loved after retirement was the ability to slow down and do things at a reasonable (and enjoyable) pace, rather than constantly rushing from here to there to get everything done. Every evening after work I had a bunch of things to do at home before bedtime, and weekends were a time to catch up on chores that I didn't get accomplished during the week. Now, it's all different.......I still get things done, but at my own pace and on my own schedule, which is very, very nice. Also, the freedom to go to bed and get up when you want to, and not when the alarm clock says you have to, is great. I still typically get up fairly early (with the sun), but just knowing that I don't HAVE to get up then if I don't want to is priceless.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Not really a surprise, but what I really loved after retirement was the ability to slow down and do things at a reasonable (and enjoyable) pace, rather than constantly rushing from here to there to get everything done. Every evening after work I had a bunch of things to do at home before bedtime, and weekends were a time to catch up on chores that I didn't get accomplished during the week. Now, it's all different.......I still get things done, but at my own pace and on my own schedule, which is very, very nice. Also, the freedom to go to bed and get up when you want to, and not when the alarm clock says you have to, is great. I still typically get up fairly early (with the sun), but just knowing that I don't HAVE to get up then if I don't want to is priceless.
It took me a good six months to slow down. Now I can easily spend a whole week to complete a 1 day task. It irritates my still-working wife a tiny bit, but she's counting down the days, too.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It took me a good six months to slow down. Now I can easily spend a whole week to complete a 1 day task. ....
So true, I used to be so better at getting things done, now I carefully consider all sorts of factors and get distracted by something else....Oh well tomorrow I'll get to it
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My first few weeks of ER I was in a panic to "do stuff". I've managed to achieve a more Zen-like state now - but I cannot slow down too much. My ER "to do" list is a long one, with some ambitious (but fun) projects to complete. Come Spring, my ER'ed life will begin in earnest.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #27

Looking forward to RE in about 7 months. One thing I saw echoed in the posts is being able to slow down and take things at ones own pace. For me the biggie will be being able to hang out in the deer woods when I want and not feel compelled to stay out when the weather is bad just because its the only time I have off.

But one question this brings to mind is related to the comments on exercise. I use to swim competitively as a youth but gave it up later for, among other reasons, the change in the training regimen to doing sprints instead of long distances of a particular stroke. Helped the times but I didn't really enjoy it. Fast forward to today and exercise is rushed trying to get in the distance or workout in the allotted time. So the question--how is time affecting your exercise regimen? Are you doing the same workout but taking your time to do it? Do you workout more simply because you have the time? Are you working out longer and harder because you have the time for the exercise AND the time to recover after the workout?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #28

Hot shower in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. Not only how much I like it, but the fact that water pressure is quite a bit stronger, which makes it even better.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #29

Quote:
So the question--how is time affecting your exercise regimen? Are you doing the same workout but taking your time to do it? Do you workout more simply because you have the time? Are you working out longer and harder because you have the time for the exercise AND the time to recover after the workout?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning/hoping that once I ER next year, I will be able to run more often and more consistently. Hopefully I will also get more enjoyment from my runs because I will be able to run when I want to, not when I can fit it in between other things. I can envision waking up at 7:00, having breakfast and puttering until 9:00, then heading out for my run. That sounds much nicer than heading out in the dark after my one-hour commute home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Your most pleasant surprise after retirement?
Two words: bored housewives.

Just kidding!

I'd say it's how fast the days go by. I mean the individual days. It's a real effort to get as much done as I'd like to sometimes.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #31

How I got right back into old hobbies that i never had time for, how many new interests I've found. Probably the best is finding a good solid group of friends to do things with. Also found some volunteer work that I really enjoy - it's only about 3-4 times a month but rewarding. I don't like to much on my calender, but also don't like it blank!

Also, how much I enjoy cutting and splitting firewood+having a warm fire in the wood stove. I expel calories to gather wood to expel heat. It's a nice exchange.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Between my ears! Going from 'unemployed slacker' to Hey! I don't really have to work anymore - ever!

In due course I found the fore-runner to this forum and adopted the ER moniker.

heh heh heh - I like to tell people I am an expert in 'watching paint dry and grass grow' which usually draws some strange looks.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Hot shower in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. Not only how much I like it, but the fact that water pressure is quite a bit stronger, which makes it even better.
I replaced our tank water heater with a tankless model. Now you can shower all day and never run out of water. It may be a non-frugal update when I retire and can spare all that time!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
So the question--how is time affecting your exercise regimen? Are you doing the same workout but taking your time to do it? Do you workout more simply because you have the time? Are you working out longer and harder because you have the time for the exercise AND the time to recover after the workout?
Yes.

I go to the gym now because I have the time to, and I want to encourage DW to. That works the other way around too. Today we went there at 1:00 PM and had to place almost all to ourselves along with a few other regular graybeards.

As always, the hardest part is dragging my butt in there.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

On the exercise thing--well my wife and I have decided we need to be back on a routine. What is happening is that we get up when we want to, BUT we find that it is easy to talk ourselves out of going to the gym.

So starting tomorrow we are putting ourselves back on a MWF schedule of getting up at 6:30 so we can be at the gym at 7. We find we both do much better on the gym when we are scheduled in and just get up and go. Getting up at 7:30 or 8 it was too easy to talk ourselves out of it. Everybody is different--you have to find out what works for you I suppose.

The other 4 days though we are getting up when we get up.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Euphoric leisure was the surprise. Made me smile to just sit and know that I didn't have to do something or be somewhere soon. Found out that lightweight backpacking would allow me to return to that hobby. These days, my trips start after the last storm and before the next one, not by the calendar nor Sat. to Sun.

For those not retired, can you imagine sitting in a recliner (with breaks as needed) until you finish your book, the whole book, one continuous session?

Only those still working could think that a watch is an appropriate gift for a retiree. Retiree life is the opposite of that, and who would need a reminder of where you once worked?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning/hoping that once I ER next year, I will be able to run more often and more consistently. Hopefully I will also get more enjoyment from my runs because I will be able to run when I want to, not when I can fit it in between other things. I can envision waking up at 7:00, having breakfast and puttering until 9:00, then heading out for my run. That sounds much nicer than heading out in the dark after my one-hour commute home from work.

This is our life. Our dogs wake us up to go potty about 6:30. We have coffee, I read the city newspaper online each morning and my wife does IPAD stuff before turning to her knitting, and then we eat a light breakfast and a few hours have past in no time. We head to the gym about 9:00 as most of the working crowd has left the gym. If something comes up, no sweat, we just head to the gym after 1 pm, which allows us to escape the gym lunch crowd.

We ran our first full marathon together last year, our first year of ER. Prior to that, I always stuck to the half because I never had time to train for a full.

One surprise is that it has been harder to decompress than I expected. At work, I had been trained to always be productive, even when not physically active I had to be mentally active or I was wasting time. I have to keep reminding myself that it's OK to just do nothing, or just read, or take a week to move a dirt pile in my back yard when I could really do it in one long day.

My wife and I hadn't skied in decades, and now we have season tickets to two resorts and are eagerly awaiting the snowfall in the Rockies. The best part is that we can go in the middle of the week and won't have to fight the weekend skiers nor the heavy weekend traffic to the slopes.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Happy that we are doing fine with money, spending a lot less than before retirement.

Happy to have time to get involved with things I really want to do. Just finished playing Lazar Wolf in a local production of Fiddler on the roof!

Time to travel - we spent 10 days in Paris this year!

Time with our new grand babies too.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

My most pleasant surprise that money was the least of my worries! And I had very few worries.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Happy that we are doing fine with money, spending a lot less than before retirement.

Happy to have time to get involved with things I really want to do. Just finished playing Lazar Wolf in a local production of Fiddler on the roof!

Time to travel - we spent 10 days in Paris this year!

Time with our new grand babies too.

I remember when you posted that you got the part. That is a fun musical to do in little theater.