Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #2201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Not so much a repair, as a reset that I had no idea existed.

For whatever reason the icemaker in the GE refrigerator up and decided to quit working. While pondering the dysfunctional device, I noticed a little green LED light blinking. Hmmm... that might be a clue so I look up "GE icemaker blinking green light" and stumble across directions at (of all places!) the GE web site.

It turns out all I had to do was turn it off for 15 seconds, turn it back on, and then within 15 seconds push in on the paddle (that swings out and senses when the ice bin is full) three times. Kinda like clicking your heels and touching your nose to get back to Kansas, or something like that.

Anyway, it worked. LET THERE BE ICE!
But a sticker with those instructions on it under the light would have cost 2 cents.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #2202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
But a sticker with those instructions on it under the light would have cost 2 cents.
But then they would miss out on the $50 service call.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
John - I did this job years ago on my third generation Camaro Iroc Z. Please don't hack up the car by cutting an access hole. I hate seeing that. Use the time you would spend cutting a hole to do the job right.

This is a relatively straight forward job. Nothing complex, just time consuming. If you have a pneumatic impact wrench that will help. To drop the exhaust, I just disconnected the pipe to rear of the catalytic converter and removed the rest of the system in one piece, out the passenger's side up and over the right rear brake assembly. To drop the axle, it's all just removing nuts and bolts, and supporting with jack stands. I removed the clip supporting the brake line but didn't need disconnect the flexible line from the hard line.

The job isn't that bad once you drop the exhaust and rear axle. Once the axle and exhaust are dropped, and the fuel lines are disconnected, you have to snake the tank and filler tube out keeping in mind that the filler tube is rigidly attached to the tank. Be sure to remove as much gas as possible from the tank before beginning the job. Just take your time and you will be fine. One other note: This is a good time to replace the rear coil springs if they are weak (and they probably are if they are original) since they will basically just fall out once the axle is dropped. Good luck and holler if you have questions.
I hate it too. Still deciding. Apparently it's a 4 hour job in the labor book. 4 times $80 = $320. Wonder if I can really get a mechanic to do it for $320 labor.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I hate it too. Still deciding. Apparently it's a 4 hour job in the labor book. 4 times $80 = $320. Wonder if I can really get a mechanic to do it for $320 labor.
There comes a point in life when you say, "I will pay a professional to do it, or I will be in traction for a week".
I could have replaced my hot water heater, garbage disposal and 3 sink faucets, but I chose to pay my favorite plumber instead. I can afford it.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #2205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
My fuel pump failed in my car. I spread the repair out over several days. The pump is inside the gas tank. I had to get the gas out of the tank to reduce the weight when removing it. I couldn't siphon it out. I finally used a inline 12 volt fuel pump attached to the fuel line at the engine. Borrowed the pump from a friend that's a bigger gear head than I am. The hardest thing was getting the dead car into the garage and on the lift. Once on the lift I found our local wildlife had chewed up the wiring near the gas tank. Didn't need a fuel pump. Didn't need to drop the tank. Spliced 3 wires and all works again. Cost about 50 cents.

Happy Days. I might've replaced the pump anyway. I did that job after getting stranded a few times with intermittent failures. I put everything back but no luck. Pump runs but no pressure. What are the odds of a brand new pump not working? Had to do it all over and checked the pressures before I put it all back. Changed the plugs at the same time and got the ignition wires crossed so it took me another few days to realized the wiring diagram I downloaded from the web was wrong.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #2206
Recycles dryer sheets

Water line from the street to the house went bad under a 6 ft wide sidewalk in my rental property at the Jersey shore. 2100 to fix. My plumber in order to save me some money, left the cut out in the sidewalk for me to fix. 3x5 ft area where they put in a new water meter and meter pit. 500 pounds of concrete mix later, it looks good. Had to get rid of the tripping hazard. Good thing my son is a landscape contractor, and also works with concrete. Cost about 30 bucks for the concrete mix. Trying to find a contractor down there in the spring is difficult, no idea what the cost would have been, but a lot more
than 30 bucks.
I prepped everything before my son got there, digging out the area and hauling away the rubble. That was fun.
oldmike
Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
There comes a point in life when you say, "I will pay a professional to do it, or I will be in traction for a week".
I could have replaced my hot water heater, garbage disposal and 3 sink faucets, but I chose to pay my favorite plumber instead. I can afford it.

Amen. That's where I am now too, especially with plumbing, which I've always hated.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #2208
Give me a forum ...

Still prepping my class C motorhome for travel, which I have not used for 2 years. I started the engine every few months, even took it out for a quick drive, but there are things I do not exercise, nor need to do. Example: the TV and its antenna.

Turned on the TV. It could not receive any channel. To make a long story short, I traced the problem to the cable being broken, from the internal TV antenna junction box to the roof antenna. But where's the break?

Sadly, the break was not in an accessible spot, but at a 2' section that is embedded in the roof. Tried to see if I could pull another cable through, but there was no way due to some obstruction inside the roof structure.

I was a bit mad. How could the cable break where there's no motion to flex the cable? They must have installed the cable with a stress or a kink. Bastard!

So, I had to make another cable run, and part of it was exposed and not as clean looking when concealed inside the roof.

By the way, I originally suspected corrosion problem inside the antenna itself, opened it and found there was an amplifier built inside. The board is about the size of a palm, and naked, meaning not encapsulated in any plastic material. It was very dirty from the dirt and rain that got inside, and amazingly still worked despite signs of corrosion of the PCB traces.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #2209
Recycles dryer sheets

I miss posted this in the "What did you do today" thread. It should'a been here.
I replaced the condensate drip pan under my A/C evaporator coil.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #2210
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Happy Days. I might've replaced the pump anyway. I did that job after getting stranded a few times with intermittent failures. I put everything back but no luck. Pump runs but no pressure. What are the odds of a brand new pump not working? Had to do it all over and checked the pressures before I put it all back. Changed the plugs at the same time and got the ignition wires crossed so it took me another few days to realized the wiring diagram I downloaded from the web was wrong.
On a 86 Buick fuel pressure was leaking down causing difficulty starting. I paid a local shop to replace the pump. Still had the problem. Turns out there was some inline pulsation damper inside the tank that was leaking.

On a 1984 Corvette with low fuel pressure I bought a cheap eBay fuel pump, but it turn out to be a deteriorated hose coupling to the pump inside the tank. Left the old pump in place.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #2211
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not a repair but an upgrade...

Cell phone signal at our house is almost non-existent. The signal level for the two major carriers is approximately -110dBm which means dropped calls are commonplace.

I installed a weBoost cell phone signal booster and it improved the signal strength to -100dBm. That’s still a very low signal but at least it’s tolerable.

IMG_7360.JPG
Product package

IMG_7356.JPG
Indoor antenna in the hallway near the stairs to the attic.

IMG_7359.JPG
The amplifier in the attic.

I did’t take a picture of the exterior antenna. I put the outdoor antenna on a pole and pointed it toward the strongest signal.

One of the reasons for our poor signal is we are nearly the same distance from three separate cell phone towers meaning we are on the fringe of all the towers.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #2212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Amen. That's where I am now too, especially with plumbing, which I've always hated.
Unless it's Memorial Day weekend, and your kitchen sink gets backed up. All the plumbers either were not working or wanted 450 bucks to come out and snake the line. DH has a manual "snake" and once he got the cleanout cap off (rusted and painted shut-it was the worst part of the job) he managed to poke a hole in the clog and got things flowing again. He too hates plumbing, but was rather pleased with himself when he had success.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #2213

Rebuilt substructure of deck on cabin. Deck is 10' by 24'. Saved about $1600 by reusing the 10' cedar planks.
Found the secret to easy trimmer line feeding!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #2214
Give me a forum ...

Found the secret to easy trimmer line feeding!

After years, no decades, of frustration with string trimmers hanging up on the the trimmer string, I found the solution to this problem!

Dry lube. I started using "Blaster" dry lube on my string spool and various cam feed parts. Just spray the stuff on liberally when winding the spool. Spray the spool and all the various parts that allow the feeding. Done.

It is a miracle! Why didn't I think of this before? I don't recall the instructions on the various brands (yes I've tried at least 4 brands of trimmer) suggesting this. But, I tell you, it works.
Attached Images
File Type: png blaster.PNG (71.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #2215
Recycles dryer sheets

Replaced the carburetor on my old Club Car Golf Cart that we use mostly to pull a garden cart around the property. Car would crank but not fire and was dumping fuel into the crankcase, so I surmised a stuck open float needle valve in the carb. A new carb from Amazon was about half the price of a rebuild kit, and delivered in two days with Prime. Replacement went pretty smoothly, only dropped one spring that took about 15 minutes to find. Also burned my wrist pretty good on the drag light, but all in all a pretty easy fix.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #2216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
.............. A new carb from Amazon was about half the price of a rebuild kit, and delivered in two days with Prime. ...........
I've noticed that as the ethanol gas has been killing small engine carburetors like flies, the Chinese have jumped into the carburetor business and one can buy a new carburetor for peanuts. I recently bought a carb for a Mantis rototiller complete with new fuel lines, pick up head / filter and extra primer bulbs for ten bucks. Started right up and runs great.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #2217

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
Replaced the carburetor on my old Club Car Golf Cart that we use mostly to pull a garden cart around the property. Car would crank but not fire and was dumping fuel into the crankcase, so I surmised a stuck open float needle valve in the carb. A new carb from Amazon was about half the price of a rebuild kit, and delivered in two days with Prime. Replacement went pretty smoothly, only dropped one spring that took about 15 minutes to find. Also burned my wrist pretty good on the drag light, but all in all a pretty easy fix.
Nice work!

It may be time to invest in a LED bulb for your drag light. Not only the LED bulb runs much cooler, but the bulb won't need replacing when you actually drop the light. (don't ask )
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #2218

Not a repair, but... nice big (circa 2000?) 25 inch TV has great picture when working, even sharper than the flatscreens I've seen, but annoyingly flickers / gets horizontal white line for 10 minutes when warming up. After warmup, all is well generally. Hoooked up a spare (even older) 20 inch TV that does not flicker, tried it out. Got all my cable channels! Yay. Then tried DVD. DVD played fine for an hour, then picture went blurry and sound remained. On the 25 inch TV, when that happened I would just change from channel 3 to 4, and the picture would clear up. Tried that trick on the spare 20 inch TV (by rotating old fashioned click knob) from 3 to 4, same blurry picture. (Sigh....)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #2219
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Not a repair, but... nice big (circa 2000?) 25 inch TV has great picture when working, even sharper than the flatscreens I've seen, but annoyingly flickers / gets horizontal white line for 10 minutes when warming up. After warmup, all is well generally. Hoooked up a spare (even older) 20 inch TV that does not flicker, tried it out. Got all my cable channels! Yay. Then tried DVD. DVD played fine for an hour, then picture went blurry and sound remained. On the 25 inch TV, when that happened I would just change from channel 3 to 4, and the picture would clear up. Tried that trick on the spare 20 inch TV (by rotating old fashioned click knob) from 3 to 4, same blurry picture. (Sigh....)
Obviously you have not seen the new 4K flat screen TV's.

Compare a Blue Ray disk, it will be easier to see the difference, as DVD is simply a lot less sharp than blue ray.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #2220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would not place a 25 inch TV in the 'big' category anymore... I have a 65, a 45 and DW has a 35 on the wall in her room to watch instead of her laptop screen...
Closed Thread