Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #241
Full time employment: Posting here.

A tip for any of you that work on your vehicles. If you get drips or an oil spill on your concrete - get some Super Clean foaming cleaner (purple spray bottle). O'Riellys had a buy 1 get 1 free last week. This stuff really works! I spilled a few ounces of gear oil on the driveway - used news paper to get most of it up and then sprayed this stuff on. Let it work for 5 minutes and spray it off with water - not a trace/stain at all. First stuff I found that works.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.

My water line coming into the house sprung a leak. I live in S. florida and the outside pipes are only about 6 inches below the grass as there is no freeze. The water was pooling in the side yard and I thought it was the sprinkler so I shut it off. A week later the water was still there so I checked my water bill ad the prior month was very high.
I had a plumber fix the leak and put in a new main shut off valve.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I replaced the batteries in the mouse for my computer.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I replaced the batteries in the mouse for my computer.
LUXURY!
We only had a wind-up mouse for our computer!
I SAY it was a computer, but it was more like an abacus with some broken beads and bent wires, but it was a Computer to US!

Latest repair - replaced two power door lock motors that had gotten sticky on a 20 year old vehicle. Turns out somebody had previously replaced one of them years ago, and did some minor butchering while they were in there.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #245

Abacus! Extravagance! When I was a kid we had to count on our fingers 'n toes. If the sum got above 17 we had to borrow some from our neighbors.

I recently had to squirt epoxy into the little ringer atop our LG refrigerator. It kept ringing off and on for days as though the door was left open, and nothing else would shut it up!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #246
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Paid way to much for someone to come and change a switch on our stove...
Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #247
Recycles dryer sheets

A broken hinge on our over-the stove microwave has led to a complete appliance re-do, but at a price I can live with. In researching the cost to purchase trim kits for the side panels of a new stainless steel microwave, I discovered door panel kits for our dishwasher, taking it from black to stainless for about $30, and then went on to locate stainless steel replacement panels for our double oven.

So it looks like I can replace and convert three black appliances to stainless appliances for well under $1,000, including cost of installation. (Fridge already stainless). I'm very happy, and I think it will result in a nice touch-up for my kitchen without needing to do an entire remodel.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
In researching the cost to purchase trim kits for the side panels of a new stainless steel microwave, I discovered door panel kits for our dishwasher, taking it from black to stainless for about $30, and then went on to locate stainless steel replacement panels for our double oven.

So it looks like I can replace and convert three black appliances to stainless appliances for under $1,000, including cost of installation. I'm very happy, and I think it will result in a nice touch-up for my kitchen without needing to do an entire remodel.
I thought stainless was on the way out? I was proud to have missed that trend (along with Windows ME, Vista, and Betamax)

$30 to do a 'fridge. And, when it gets a ding, just put on some Bondo, sand, and apply more paint. It could be used to turn a Fiat X1/9 into a mini-DeLorean!
On a more serious note, good luck with the kitchen facelift.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
LUXURY!
We only had a wind-up mouse for our computer!
I SAY it was a computer, but it was more like an abacus with some broken beads and bent wires, but it was a Computer to US!

Latest repair - replaced two power door lock motors that had gotten sticky on a 20 year old vehicle. Turns out somebody had previously replaced one of them years ago, and did some minor butchering while they were in there.
Mouse batteries! Pure extravagance for sure...and the abacus beads....a wise, but expensive choice too. We use old buttons grandmother saved in a jar during the depression to use in our abacus rather than buy beads.

Yesterday's repairs/maintenance:

Changed the oil/filter and fuel filter in my diesel Jetta @ 10,600 miles (on the oil).

Finished building and installing a new 8' x 2' elevated shelf in our garage to add to storage capabilities.

Today: will hang two new ceiling fans to replace old, squeaky, unbalanced builder-supplied units.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I thought stainless was on the way out? I was proud to have missed that trend (along with Windows ME, Vista, and Betamax)

$30 to do a 'fridge. And, when it gets a ding, just put on some Bondo, sand, and apply more paint. It could be used to turn a Fiat X1/9 into a mini-DeLorean!
On a more serious note, good luck with the kitchen facelift.
I thought it was too? Most upgrades around these parts are back to colored panels due to the above and getting tired of smudges/fingerprints. But stainless still looks great.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #251
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I thought it was too? Most upgrades around these parts are back to colored panels due to the above and getting tired of smudges/fingerprints. But stainless still looks great.
I'm not seeing any letup in popularity here on the W. Coast. I'm thinking stainless steel appliances will eventually move into the same timeless categories as wood floors, wood shutters and white kitchen cabinets. All continue to look wonderful no matter how long ago they were installed.

Now, glass tile backsplashes? Definitely a trend that will define a decade moving forward.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Not really a repair but more of an upgrade.

I changed the chuck on a new hammer drill with a chuck that locks tightly onto the bits.

Months back, I attempted the same change on two similar drills but ended up scratching up the handles big time which made it an eyesore each time using the drills. So, I put the scratched ones up on ebay and their sales will pay for the price of the new drill.

Of course, it helps that this time around I got a big ass impact wrench that gives plenty of torque to take the old chuck right off.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Months back, I attempted the same change on two similar drills but ended up scratching up the handles big time which made it an eyesore each time using the drills. So, I put the scratched ones up on ebay and their sales will pay for the price of the new drill.
Dang, I like the sight of a scratched-up, well-used tool. A purty hammer drill is an inexperienced hammer drill, I trust the ugly one that's been through a lot of cinder blocks CMU.
The first thing to do with a brand new angle grinder, etc is to tie the power cord to the truck bumper and drag it around the block one time. Otherwise, the "senior" tools on the rack will just point and make fun of the shiny new rookie.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #254

Both Bake and Broil element in 1980s Kenmore oven stopped working. The included wiring diagram (both in owners manual and inside back panel of oven) showed that it must either be the mode switch, the thermostat or the relay. A more careful review of the schematic along with the fact that the oven 'on indicator' was working properly showed that the relay was indeed the culprit.

After locating a suitable replacement on the Internet (~$50), the oven was back up and running within the week. Luckily DW was away on a business trip for most of this week.

-gauss
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Dang, I like the sight of a scratched-up, well-used tool. A purty hammer drill is an inexperienced hammer drill, I trust the ugly one that's been through a lot of cinder blocks CMU.
The first thing to do with a brand new angle grinder, etc is to tie the power cord to the truck bumper and drag it around the block one time. Otherwise, the "senior" tools on the rack will just point and make fun of the shiny new rookie.
I hear you. But the scratches were self-inflicted on perfectly good handles and not via regular wear and tear. So, I decided to do a reset and start over.

Both teams scratched in similar fashion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 033.JPG (534.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg seven.JPG (575.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I hear you. But the scratches were self-inflicted on perfectly good handles and not via regular wear and tear. So, I decided to do a reset and start over.

Both teams scratched in similar fashion.
"Both teams"? I meant to say "both drills." That's what happens when listening to a ball game while typing
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #257
Recycles dryer sheets

My utility room had two layers of 12" vinyl tile on it and they needed to be replaced. The second layer did not adhere well to the first layer so up it all came. It was quite a job scraping off the old tile and cleaning the glue off the concrete. The job was especially difficult as the tile was/is under the hot water heater and cut in under the furnace for a nice finished look. I also had to deal with moving around the washer/dryer. Did I mention the tile was laid at 45 degrees for a bit of a classy look?

It was nice that I waited till after retirement to tackle this project as it was probably 3 weeks start to finish. I am glad I got it done because I spend a lot of time here, the utility room also seconds as my office, where I am as I type this.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #258
Recycles dryer sheets

Removed/replaced the in-tank fuel pump on my Chevy pickup. Used my tractor to lift the truck bed off the frame to gain access (roll Tim the tool man grunt-grunt-grunt here)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
...... It was quite a job scraping off the old tile and cleaning the glue off the concrete.....
UGH!
The worst floor removal I ever had to do was our kitchen cushioned-vinyl Congoleum floor. It first could be cut into 6" wide strips and peeled up with a thin pry bar. That separated the top wear layer, the design, and most of the cushion layer off. But the glued-on base layer was one with the concrete.

Tried all sorts of methods to try to get it off, no go. Ended up using a 1" wide wood chisel bevel-down at an exact angle to shear it and the glue together off of the concrete. Held chisel with two gloved hands and pushed very hard while wiggling the handle a bit sideways. Came up slowly in curly-Q strips like wood shavings. Had to do the whole floor that way. It wasn't so bad after the first 3 ten-hour days... you just get numb and keep going and lose sense of time and pain.
Had to re-sharpen chisels every couple of hours with oil and oil stone.

Getting all of the stuff off was important, as I wanted the RedGard decoupling application to bond to the concrete well, as thin-set mortar and porcelain tiles were going on top of it. Had heard of a few horror stories of people who did inadequate prep work before RedGard, and ended up effectively with tile laid on top of a tarp!

Sent from my Yamaguchi 3000 via the Early Retirement Forum intergalactic bit-leaker app.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
UGH!
The worst floor removal I ever had to do was our kitchen cushioned-vinyl Congoleum floor. It first could be cut into 6" wide strips and peeled up with a thin pry bar. That separated the top wear layer, the design, and most of the cushion layer off. But the glued-on base layer was one with the concrete.
Yep, replaced the vinyl floors in my kitchen and bathrooms with tile and getting the glue off of the cement slab was a royal PITA. Used Krud Kutter that I picked up at Home Depot, along with a big floor scraper. It helped some but still a lot of manual effort required.