Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Plumber spent 3 hours repairing two bathtub drains (one won't open, one won't close). One required removing and replacing the entire drain assembly/guts from behind the bathroom wall down into the slab. He's writing up the invoice now and I'm clutching my wallet expecting the worst....

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, multiple drainage.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Oh, multiple drainage.
Yes, of my credit card. $577 in drainage damage...

Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #444

Ouch!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #445
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I was on the RV trek, my son called to let me know that the pool pump quit. When I got home yesterday, it was the 1st thing I looked at. Nope, need a new pump. Just paid close to $1,500 (part+labor) to have a new one installed, as I would only save $100 to do it myself.

It bothers me that these expensive pumps should be rebuildable back at the factory for some credits. My original old-style AC motor pump ran for 20 years before it quit. The new electronic ones save energy, but do not seem to last. This electronic one lasted 18 months.

PS. Actually, the original pump induction motor did not quit, but the impeller was so worn out it failed to move water.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #446

For some pumps,can buy what is called "wet end" Housing and impeller some are around $100.-
Old 10-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #447
Give me a forum ...

I actually changed out the motor or the "dry end" of the original pump when it was about 5 years old due to water damage caused by a leak - the home is close to 30 years old. So, while the "dry end" was 20+ years old, the "wet end" was 25+ years old and original, when the pump was worn out and I replaced it with the electronic one that just failed after 18 months. How about that?

They do not carry these old-style pumps anymore, not at the local pool supply stores, as I learned that there's state law mandating these new high-efficiency electronically controlled pumps. I actually like these new pumps as they are quiet and save on the electric bill, but doggone it, they have to build them better to last longer. The one that just failed had only a 1-year warranty, but the new one now comes with 3 years.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #448

I see, save electricity, keep mfg factory humming. No savings to end user, just change where the money goes. Gee, maybe ERD50 can figure out the where the pollution is transferred to. It is too much work for my puny brain.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I actually like these new pumps as they are quiet and save on the electric bill
And they apparently eventually get really quiet.
Quote:
but doggone it, they have to build them better to last longer.
Maybe they don't The government tells you you can't buy the old style that lasts, and if they can sell you a new one every 18 months that's a real moneymaker.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

These new-fangled motors have permanent magnets in the rotor, and use electronic commutation on the stator windings. They are very light and powerful, and somewhat similar to modern motors used in electric cars. Properly designed and built, there's no reason they cannot last a long time.

The local pool store does not carry that model anymore. And they offer 3 different makes, so I hope competition will eventually weed out the poor performing ones. But meanwhile, man oh man, it really hurts in the pocket book.

PS. I will keep the failed pump, and will do a post-mortem analysis and report on my finding.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #451

My Shark steam mop started spitting out water instead of steam. Way past any warranty so opened it up, it was pretty obvious the thermal fuse on the heater element was shot. Picked up a replacement fuse at Fry electronics for $2, installed it and it's up and running. Need to remember to take photos when opening up things for the first time to see how everything is laid out. Replacing the fuse required removing most of the internals, a little bit of a pain getting everything back in the right spot.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #452

Quote:
While I was on the RV trek, my son called to let me know that the pool pump quit. When I got home yesterday, it was the 1st thing I looked at. Nope, need a new pump. Just paid close to $1,500 (part+labor) to have a new one installed, as I would only save $100 to do it myself.
I replaced mine this spring. It had started to make some higher pitched squealy noises when it was cold. Also had a little intermittent leak between pump plate and pump body. I figured the output shaft bearing of the motor had worn enough to allow the impeller to rub against the bronze wear ring in the snout of the pump diffuser. Yup. Had small cracks in the impeller and the diffuser too, but nothing broken. Left-hand copper screw in the shaft end was about gone, ate away.

Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas. Parts available, though not a shaft seal for my old original style pump plate. Could not find a graphite shaft seal set that would for-sure work with the old plate. Sta-Rites solution is to replace the pump plate with the newer design, and a seal to fit that. New plate was $80. And new shaft seal, new impeller and diffuser, a brass specialty LH-thread screw, a couple O-rings, and a new motor. I think about $350 or so in parts.

I thought about replacing the motor bearings myself, but had a major problem - 4 long thin steel screws, like #8 and maybe 12" long, hold the motor end caps and shell together. At the motor's pump end, they thread into blind holes in the square end cap which is made of zinc. They were seized good. No way to get at them to try to use penetrant. Snapped real easy with the long thin screws. So New motor.
Old plastic motor base was broken too, and not one that was listed with the pump setup. Luckily was able to find a Sta-Rite part # on the base, it was a low-profile base for a spa motor. Was able to order up a new one still.

If I ever have to replace the whole pump (housing with hair & lint pot), it will be a total cut out and start over 2" PVC job as there isn't room to cut and add a coupling everywhere. Lots of Tees, valves, backwash valve, etc. all solvent welded together, relatively tight spacing.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #453

Quote:
PS. I will keep the failed pump, and will do a post-mortem analysis and report on my finding.
Since you have the old one even if the repairs are past your skill set it may well be worthwhile to have it repaired given the cost of a new one.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #454
Give me a forum ...

I checked, and these pumps were not repairable. That is, only the factory can repair it, but they do not offer that service. As is true with most electronics nowadays, one cannot get the proprietary electronic parts for replacement.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

I just spent the last 2 hours fixing the leak between the toilet tank and the toilet bowl. How tough could that be? I have done that before.

Remove the two long bolts holding the tank to the bowl, then install the new doughnut gasket at the tank-to-bowl interface.

Doggone bolts were 25+ year old and corroded, so of course had to be broken off, but only if one could get to them. Then, the doggone doughnut gasket would not seal, and it leaked just as bad as the old one that completely fell apart when removed. Do they even know how to make a good gasket anymore?

After removing and reinstalling the tank for the 3rd time, I remembered that I still had a roll of butyl tape. Two turns of the tape around the tank outlet, and it seemed to be holding.

I am sorry I exposed my wife to so much cussing and swearing. I never cared about plumbing repair, except for outdoor sprinkler piping, but this is getting more and more aggravating.

I can't take this no more. One of these days, I will say "Screw it", and call a plumber for any leak, no matter how minor.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #456

Quote:
One of these days, I will say "Screw it", and call a plumber for any leak, no matter how minor.
I passed that point some time ago. One of the luxuries of retirement is having enough money to do that. I really, really, hate working on plumbing!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #457
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I passed that point some time ago. One of the luxuries of retirement is having enough money to do that. I really, really, hate working on plumbing!

I could give up digging in sewage but most plumbing is so minor its not only cheaper but way faster to just do it myself. I hate waiting around for people that show up late or not at all. Ticks me off even more when they do a poor job of the repair! Somehow I'm more forgiving if I'm the one that screws it up...
Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For me, if I can manage it, I still like to fix pretty much everything! The reason is not so much to save money but since I have the time, I might as well give it a shot. Part of the reason, also, is that it gives me great pleasure to know that I was able to knock out that job! Of course if the job requires specialized tooling, then I'm less likely to proceed on my own. As to waiting for the repairman to arrive and having the repairman do a bad job, that also is incentive for me to take on the repair responsibilities.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
For me, if I can manage it, I still like to fix pretty much everything! The reason is not so much to save money but since I have the time, I might as well give it a shot. Part of the reason, also, is that it gives me great pleasure to know that I was able to knock out that job! Of course if the job requires specialized tooling, then I'm less likely to proceed on my own. As to waiting for the repairman to arrive and having the repairman do a bad job, that also is incentive for me to take on the repair responsibilities.
+1

I do 80%+ of the repairs around here, calling the professionals in only for things beyond my moderate level of expertise. I don't attempt anything beyond very minor repairs to the AC or the aerobic septic system. I almost always handle my own plumbing repairs but had to call in an airstrike a plumber when some major work was required to replace the piping to a bathtub drain. Watching what he had to go through to remove the old pipes helped (but didn't entirely) take away the sting of the bill.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Well, despite my earlier threat, being a dyed-in-the-wool DIY'er, I will continue to do my own plumbing repair.

And I spoke way too soon, as DW just informed me that we had a leak under the kitchen sink. And it seemed to come from the RO filter, she said.

ARGHHH!

Learn from my mistake, my friends. Fear the plumbing god, and never speak ill of him.

Must log off now, and go get the tool box. I want to go RV'ing again (sigh!)...

« Hawaii | - »