Your recent repair? 2013 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may seem a little extreme but a friend of mne had to resort to this to get rid of gophers on his farmstead.

Oh, heck. We don't even have gophers around here, and I bet I know a half-dozen people who would want to buy this anyway... :D

Our 3 yo Xmas tree with LEDs has lost a short segment. I refuse to chase down the problem. When 1/2 the tree's lights stop emitting, the tree will be junked.

Our 3 yo Xmas tree with LEDs has lost a short segment. I refuse to chase down the problem. When 1/2 the tree's lights stop emitting, the tree will be junked.

I have one of those rope lights I wrap around a small tree outside for Christmas. After using for 8 yrs, I noticed a section about 2 feet long is dark in a 12 ft rope.
I just put it at the back for now :)

Blasphemy! This is the repair thread! :LOL:

-ERD50

A man has got to know his limitations.

Oh, heck. We don't even have gophers around here, and I bet I know a half-dozen people who would want to buy this anyway... :D

That video sure made it look like fun. We don't have problem gophers and I found myself trying to think of a way to justify buying it.:LOL:

Fixed the lights....too many strings together. Kept blowing fuses. Guess as the tree gets bigger every year I kept adding lights and reached the limits. Split the continuous line of lights in half with another extension cord and bingo everything works...for now.

We used to compost, as I like to not waste and it was a good addition to the vegetable garden. Howver, I noticed after a while we were just feeding the raccoons/possum/other creatures , so we stopped that.

Now we just dump coffee grounds on the garden, as a token effort.

The trash service has a compost can now so I don't need our personal bin any more. I was still using the home bin for awhile for kitchen scraps in the fall when we'd would fill up the trash service can with leaves - that is until the day I opened the lid at night to dump in some food scraps and two rats jumped out.

Finally got around to fixing leaking toilet. Leak started 5 years ago on one side. Bought all the parts needed, then leak stopped! Stayed mostly stopped for 5 years, then other side started leaking. Needed a project, so tore it apart and replaced the "tank to bowl" bolts, washers, and rubber gaskets. Of course the big "tank to bowl" gasket did not fit, even though it was supposed to, water cascading out when flushed. So I had to use the old gasket. All done and working now, and previous leaks are fixed. Previously unleaking item has started to leak: metal water inlet pipe connecting to tank is leaking at the plastic snug-up connector on bottom of tank. Awkward. Have to nudge the pipe to get it lined up just right line-up before tightening. Don't want to overtighten and break it ! Maybe teflon tape. One interesting thing about the project: the instructions that came with the repair kit hardware were incorrect! Luckily I found the right way to do it on the internet, where other people noticed the error in the instructions and posted about it.

We rebuilt the seat cushions of 4 metal folding chairs today. We will need them when hosting the coming Christmas Day dinner in addition to the other folding chairs that we will bring out, as we will have close to 30.

The fabric covers and the underlying foam were in bad shape. So, my wife scrounged around and found some foam and fabric that she had been saving for things like this. We almost went out to buy the material before my wife remembered that she had it in storage.

I was glad that we could finally use the stuff that was put away, and did not buy more "stuff".

... replaced the "tank to bowl" bolts, washers, and rubber gaskets. Of course the big "tank to bowl" gasket did not fit, even though it was supposed to, water cascading out when flushed. So I had to use the old gasket...

Exactly the problem I had in an identical job recently. After removing the tank and trying to reseat it a few times (and profusely swearing while doing it), I recalled that I had a roll of butyl tape. That fixed the problem by helping to seal the doughnut gasket, and butyl tape is even better than plumber's putty because it stays pliable and does not dry out. Reusing the gasket is not an option; it crumbled apart, and in fact was the cause of the leak.

So, besides WD-40 and duct tape, a handyman must also have in his tool box a roll of butyl tape. And do not forget JB Weld epoxy for places where duct tape is not strong enough.

Last edited:
I'm definitely the home handyman and mechanic type. When the local Chevrolet dealer quoted me nearly $1000 to fix the parking brakes on my 2005 K2500 Suburban (the brakes were contaminated with oil/grease from a leaking axle seal) I decided to do the job myself.

I read the online version of the GM manual via my local library (tax dollars at work!) and then decided to look on Youtube for more detailed guidance. The internet can be a wonderful thing. Somebody posted a detailed video of my precise issue.

Parts cost about $300 and it took several hours of my labor. Kept me busy, learned something, and spent less money. All around good thing!

Here's the video link for anyone who might be interested. I didn't need to replace the bearings - only the brakes and seals.

Your recent repair?

Inverter box on a 4.5 year old Bosch refrigerator. The part won't be here until Monday. Until then - no fridge or freezer. It's cold outside and I have a selection of foods on the screened-in back porch.

And the engine light is on in my car. I went to Autozone and they said it was an emissions system problem and that I could drive with it. Taking it in on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
And the engine light is on in my car. I went to Autozone and they said it was an emissions system problem and that I could drive with it. Taking it in on Friday.
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Didn't they specify what emission system thing ?
It can range from a loose gas cap to weird stuff like a charcoal cannister.

Search for your code numbers/issue and make model yr of car on the internet, as I had this on a 10 yr old toyota, searched to see what the problem could be to fix, and found an extended warranty by manufacturer.
It was part of settlement with Gov't over emission stuff.
It covered my car, so I got the $600 repair for free :dance:

Certain emission system components are covered through EPA mandate for 80,000 miles.

I was not aware of that. Is there a time limit in addition to the mileage expiration? The way we use our SUV (25K miles since 2003), it will take forever to get to 80K miles.

Special people read this thread... Not everyone is willing to tackle a fix or a repair, and those that do, usually look for advice on-line or in a manual. Along the way, we build up some savvy about how stuff works.

If you are any way like me, you have built up instincts that tell you the basics of how where to look and how to approach a repair. If so, here's an article about instructions and manuals, that suggests that we, as a nation, are at a point where skipping the manual is becoming more common.

No big deal, but an interesting look at what the future will be like as regards basic knowledge of the mechanical part of the new age.

Instructions Not Included | Popular Science

Edit to add...
Re: Auto Check Engine Light... Wonder if there might be enuff interest for someone to start a separate thread on that... A big $$$ issue that might shine some light on the subject.

Last edited:
Rodent update: My steel wool pad plugs to keep the rats out worked for awhile, then they'd eventually get the steel wool pads pulled out. One of our kids put in some kind of foam insulation that hardens after it was sprayed on around the A/C and dishwasher hoses, which is where they were getting in. We left one home made flap that only opened out, and put food outside of it to get them out of the crawl space. A few days later we put a live trap up right up against the one flap so if they go out or are clever enough to go back in by lifting up the flap, they will have to go through the trap, but so far we have not caught anything. The scratching and squeaking have stopped with no rat or human casualties reported to date.

Fixed the sink disposal. It would only make a humming sound and the blades would not turn. In our previous home, our disposal had a slot on the bottom for a hex screw and we could turn the blades with a hex screw and it would engage and work again. Our current disposal, a Whirlaway 291, does not have a slot for a hex screw.

Perplexed, I searched google and found someone who asked the same question on how to fix this model. The solution was to take a broom handle and stick it down the disposal and first rotate the blades one direction, and then the other. Like magic, when I flipped the switch it worked again. I also discovered the source of the problem, which had been a beer bottle cap that had been thrown into the sink.

Perhaps not a "repair", but I finally got tired of the projector in my "man cave" sitting on a stack of storage boxes and taking up space on the floor, and mounted it to the ceiling. I decided to build my own mount, so for about $20 in materials I connected a plywood board to the joists just above the drop ceiling via wire, connected the projector mount to the plywood, and trimmed the ceiling panel to allow the mount through for connecting to the projector. It works great, and people stomping on the floor above doesn't affect it. I have gained back a large area of the floor for increased seating, or movement when playing motion video games.

Computer audio.

A few weeks ago I bought a Sennheiser headset. After a while I became annoyed with the sound quality. I detected a fair amount of distortion. Swapped back to my old Koss set, could not hear the distortion nearly as well.

Did a few back and forths, then tried an old Sony headset, withe them I could not hear any distortion, but the sound quality was really crappy.

Then tried listening to stand alone CD player with all three. The Sennheisers sounded the best and beoutiful. Hmmmm. Houston, the computer has a problem. The audio from the computer is piped via fiber optic to an external analog converter, which feeds an amp, then speakers, and the converter has a headphone jack, which is where my headphones are connected. Thus the computer's analog audio out is not used.

This exercise pointed to the audio device or driver and/or codecs. Using the device manager checked the the audio device and driver. It is a Realtek High definiton device. Had a "correct" "best" driver according to the checks, but not high definition. The driver had a 2008 date.

Poking around the Realtek website found the latest driver is dated around may 2014, much higher rev# and is labeled High Def.. Donlaoded and installed new driver. Reboot, of course, it is windows after all. My other PC's are Linux. This is the last of the Mohicans.

Tested several pieces of music which were previously noisy and distorted. No more noise, and can't hear any distortion. Hmmm, maybe I need a set of Grados:D around $1400.--, well maybe not.:cool:

Love when things get well.

BTW the PC is a Sony Viaio of somessort. 2.2 Ghz dual core, 64 bit, all in one with Win7, bought used a few years ago for about $250.-

Last edited:
Recently visited an aunt. She asked if I could fix her dehumidifier. There was a wiring harness inside that was loose and preventing the filter from being inserted. She didn't have a screwdriver capable of taking it apart, so poked the wiring harness out of the way through the grate. That worked, but now I need to get a complete set of tools to haul around with me for cases like this.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Recently visited an aunt. She asked if I could fix her dehumidifier. There was a wiring harness inside that was loose and preventing the filter from being inserted. She didn't have a screwdriver capable of taking it apart, so poked the wiring harness out of the way through the grate. That worked, but now I need to get a complete set of tools to haul around with me for cases like this.

I've purchased a $35 Harbor Freight tool set to leave at such person's homes for my convenience. It is fairly complete for simple tasks. You can use the 20% coupon on top of the (continuous) sale price.

Digital Savings and Coupons from Harbor Freight

Earlier posts showed me working on a 1958 Grundig Konzertschrank mono radio console. I am done with the radio, and now attempting to get the turntable to work properly. It is a mono P.E. Rex Deluxe. When I got the TT it would barely turn on its own.

10577133_10202697881762349_7260017386596491343_n.jpg

I installed new belts and an idler wheel.
10401892_10202764526148417_2572958011211096088_n.jpg

This resulted in it playing-but very slowly. An LP would sound just a little fast at 45rpm.

Yesterday I decided to take it apart, and lube the areas indicated by the manufacturer.
10407263_10203543862111329_4258009362042821129_n.jpg

I also took apart the motor and lubricated it.
10407166_10203543862151330_4311414917501072074_n.jpg

I put it all back together. And... It doesn't work at all now.

Not being easily discouraged, I think I've found the problem. I've ordered a replacement for this capacitor. It drives the motor.
10922769_10203543862031327_8676841397911934179_n.jpg

WISH ME LUCK WITH THE NEW CAPACITOR!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom