Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yep - there's a lake about 10' to the right. I draw lake water through a foot valve in a rock filter. My old pump was leaking like your buddy's - and the leaks only compounded the rust.
All the water one can take? Do you own the lake? I wish I got another water source than city tap water for my wife's garden.

I have no lawn left, but my wife likes to drench her plants, no matter that it's a desert here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Your recent repair?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #942

Your recent repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All the water one can take? Do you own the lake? I wish I got another water source than city tap water for my wife's garden.

I have no lawn left, but my wife likes to drench her plants, no matter that it's a desert here.

All the water I can take. My property line is in the lake. HOA claims they have jurisdiction, and allow sprinkler pumps drawing lake water.

The pump is a beast. 2" intake, 2" discharge, 2 hp, 69gpm flow rate. Because of the flow rate, I jumper 3 zones together (15 rotors) and still have great flow. So I only run 3 zones.

Like your wife, I like to drench things. 3 zones going 14 mins,14 mins, 20 mins once, sometimes twice a day in dry periods. I run a hose off of zone 1 daily to manually water potted plants, and manually water flowers in ground unreachable by sprinklers every other day. I roughly calculated my water usage at 1400 gallons per day or 2800 gallons on rare days that I run the system twice.

Good thing I don't pay for water, but I think my pump adds about $80-$100 per month in the electric bill. Good thing we had a lot of rain in April through June. I didn't really start watering until July this year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #943
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My house gutters, downspouts and Gutter Helmets are done as of July 15.
No more leaking gutters. They carefully removed and re-installed the existing roof heating wires right into the new gutters/helmets and the valley where the main roof and porch roof connect. No more ice dams ! I placed flat stones under each downspout to disperse the outflow.

I asked the gutter guys to save whatever was still usable for my gardening buddy. He collects rainwater in barrels for his ground garden.

The gunk that had collected in the old gutters was amazing. I wish my neighbor would do something about the line of half dead trees between our properties. It drops all sorts of seeds and tiny leaves with every spring storm.

I no longer have to worry about that clogging up my gutters.

Next up...trimming back the grassed-over edges and re-sealing the driveway. I will contract that out for sure. I ain't 20 anymore.
I just removed 200' of gutters from my house. With 7 sixty foot tall pine trees in the yard, I was growing trees out of my clogged gutters. I'm chopping up the gutters and sending them to the recyclers.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #944
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Uh oh, the joint melted and pulled away? That can't be good.
But this time, my friend travelover used Gorilla duct tape, not the no-name brand at the dollar store, to hold it together.

I had an electric room heater that got a joint broken similarly. It was a welded joint between a wire and the end of the heating element. As there's no way I could reweld it, I devised a connection using a nut and screw to clamp the ends together.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #945
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But this time, my friend travelover used Gorilla duct tape, not the no-name brand at the dollar store, to hold it together. .............
Exactly. If you want to fix it right, use good quality duct tape!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #946
Recycles dryer sheets

Clutch replacement on my motorcycle, required splitting the bike tractor style (BMW dry clutch). Lining the clutch actuator pushrod (about the diameter of a pencil) while muscling things around or teetering it on a hydraulic jack didn’t sound like a good idea; so a few wood scraps, a Harbor Freight mover’s dolly, handful of screws, and a few beers later this invention was spawned. Height set to about a ¼” below motor/clutch assembly so final fit only required a little bit of a bit of fine tuning. Who’d a thunk there could be so many miles of wiring and plumbing on a simple two-wheeled conveyance. Finally finished up last night and all systems seem to be working properly. Will do a number of verification checks this morning before taking it out for a maiden voyage this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSClutch.jpg (66.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #947
Give me a forum ...

In the middle of working on two toilets that lost their seal between the tank and the bowl... cannot believe both went out at the same time...

The most difficult thing was finding the right replacement.... the first one I took out was crushed and when I took it in to Home Depot they told me it was 'this one'... well, it wasn't.... took it back to a different HD and they tried to sell me a different one... just kept telling me to keep tightening it down more....

Went to Lowes and found what I needed on my own.... at least I think I did... we will find out soon....
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #948
Give me a forum ...

I replaced a toilet tank seal recently. After 30 years, one day it failed suddenly and the leak was torrential. When removed, the thing fell apart in my hand. Home Depot had only 2 types and none fitted. I ended up using the closest one, plus a big donut made from butyl tape to seal the gap. What a fiasco!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #949
Give me a forum ...

Toilet tanks: Hopefully everyone has gotten the word to stay away from "bowl fresheners" and other products with bleach that dissolve in the toilet tank. They are very hard on flapper valves, riser tubes, and the tank gaskets.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #950
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I replaced a toilet tank seal recently. After 30 years, one day it failed suddenly and the leak was torrential. When removed, the thing fell apart in my hand. Home Depot had only 2 types and none fitted. I ended up using the closest one, plus a big donut made from butyl tape to seal the gap. What a fiasco!
Yep, ours are about 30 years old... daughters just went quickly like yours... I flushed and my feet were wet immediately.... so far, this is 3 of the 4 toilets... I had one go out a year or so ago....

Interesting, but my HD had maybe 8 to 10 seals... some were pretty large and some were small... the one they suggested had the right ID, but the OD was about a half inch smaller than what I had... Lowe's had what I needed... when I put it on, I was able to stretch it to cover the plastic nut holding the tube.

Just finished it up.... at first there was a leak, but finally found it and it was one of the screws holding the top tank down.... tightened it up and so far so good...
Old 08-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #951
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Toilet tanks: Hopefully everyone has gotten the word to stay away from "bowl fresheners" and other products with bleach that dissolve in the toilet tank. They are very hard on flapper valves, riser tubes, and the tank gaskets.
Lawdy mighty this is correct. And in my experience most often the leak seems to be from the rubber gaskets at the tank to bowl bolts rather than the foam seal, which makes sense since they sit submerged in the tank water all the time.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Fixed the electric brakes on my camper trailer. Coming home from the last trip it felt like only one brake was working and not that well. Upon investigation, I found one wire corroded entirely off and the second ready to fail. It seems some idiot (me) used plumbing flux when he soldered the wires and it is corrosive and ate the wire. Lesson learned - I didn't realize that flux would actually eat the copper wire through.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #953
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Lesson learned - I didn't realize that flux would actually eat the copper wire through.
It takes courage to admit it when you flux something up.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Clutch replacement on my motorcycle, required splitting the bike tractor style (BMW dry clutch). Lining the clutch actuator pushrod (about the diameter of a pencil) while muscling things around or teetering it on a hydraulic jack didn’t sound like a good idea; so a few wood scraps, a Harbor Freight mover’s dolly, handful of screws, and a few beers later this invention was spawned. Height set to about a ¼” below motor/clutch assembly so final fit only required a little bit of a bit of fine tuning. Who’d a thunk there could be so many miles of wiring and plumbing on a simple two-wheeled conveyance. Finally finished up last night and all systems seem to be working properly. Will do a number of verification checks this morning before taking it out for a maiden voyage this morning.
Looks like a fun job . Kind of reminds me of when I repalced the heater core in my 2002 Jetta.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #955
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of plumbing problems, the following happened to me 2 weeks ago.

We were at the breakfast table, me surfing the Web when my wife stood up and went to the kitchen sink. No running water. Not a drop came out of the faucet. She looked at me accusingly and asked "What did you do?".

Heck, I did nothing. Why would I want to shut off the water? The only explanation was that the city mains was shut off for the entire block, which would be rare. I went out the front door, thinking of asking a neighbor if their water was also off. That was when I heard the sound of water running. And it seemed to come from the garage. Uh Oh!

When the garage door opened, water came rushing out. Holy Cow!

It was only after I rushed to shut off the water at the entrance that I could investigate the source of the water gush. It was at the bypass valve of the old water softener, at the back of the garage. I removed the water softener many years ago, but left the bypass valve there. Its piston was made of plastic (nylon?), and finally broke. As all the water from a 3/4 pipe came rushing out that broken valve, not a drop got into the home to the kitchen sink. I was lucky to be home and to discover it no more than a few minutes after the valve broke.

It was not as bad as I initially feared, that the water pipe broke in the garage attic. That would have caused some serious damage.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #956
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We were at the breakfast table, me surfing the Web when my wife stood up and went to the kitchen sink. No running water. Not a drop came out of the faucet. She looked at me accusingly and asked "What did you do?".

Heck, I did nothing. Why would I want to shut off the water? The only explanation was that the city mains was shut off for the entire block, which would be rare. I went out the front door, thinking of asking a neighbor if their water was also off. That was when I heard the sound of water running. And it seemed to come from the garage. Uh Oh!

It was only after I rushed to shut off the water at the entrance that I could investigate the source of the water gush. It was at the bypass valve of the old water softener, at the back of the garage. I removed the water softener many years ago, but left the bypass valve there. Its piston was made of plastic (nylon?), and finally broke. As all the water from a 3/4 pipe came rushing out that broken valve, not a drop got into the home to the kitchen sink. I was lucky to be home and to discover it no more than a few minutes after the valve broke.

It was not as bad as I initially feared, that the water pipe broke in the garage attic. That would have caused some serious damage.

Wow... reminds me of a story from a coworker many years ago.... he said a neighbor of his was gone for vacation... he came home from work and saw water running down the driveway from the guys garage... decided to go turn the water water off to the house... when neighbor came home it had actually been inside the house and flooded the house... finally went into the garage and out the garage door... needless to say, lots of ruined stuff....

I will say that in the morning when my sprinklers are on, we get very little water to the other faucets... son asked me to change the timing so he could get a shower in the morning.... I was shocked that it took almost all of the water pressure...
Old 08-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #957

Quote:

I wonder if wives' mothers teach them early on to blame their husband ANYTIME something goes wrong at the homestead?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I will say that in the morning when my sprinklers are on, we get very little water to the other faucets... son asked me to change the timing so he could get a shower in the morning.... I was shocked that it took almost all of the water pressure...
It's not pressure you should be concerned with, it's flow rates.

Check your flow rate (gallons per minute) available to the house for use. You can do this with a 5 gallon bucket and outdoor hose (see how long it takes to fill it). Then, by sprinkler zone, record the flow rates of each head in the zone. You might be surprised to see what your are putting out per minute, collectively by zone. If the zone(s) are more than 50% of available flow, you can put in lower flow heads and just run the zone a bit longer.

At our old house, our flow rate incoming was about 7 gallons per minute, max. I sized sprinkler zones down to about 1/2 of that rate and we could still take a shower when the sprinklers were on.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #959
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just changed a blower motor on the A/C unit. Luckily I had one 'in stock' at home. When I saved it originally from a furnace I replaced, I thought it was just going to be a big piece of junk I was saving. Now it turns out to be a good thing.

The tenant called, and within 2 hours I had it troubleshooted and replaced.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Here's a photo of the damage caused by pipe bursting in a garage, linked from the Web.

Why do we even bother to have running water in the house? We know not to bring gasoline into a home. Perhaps water should be regarded the same, or at least pressurized water.