Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Unfortunately, it's got 96K on it and out of the federal mandated emissions warranty.
Dang. Surely you can find a used car dealer that knows how to "fix" odometers? No--"it would be wrong."!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #982
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Dang. Surely you can find a used car dealer that knows how to "fix" odometers? No--"it would be wrong."!
I think those days are over with the advent of computers in modern cars! Plus, state inspection data records a lot of stuff in a separate database. I can buy an aftermarket Cat Converter for $150 or so (dealer OEM is near $600). It's not a hard job to change it, it's the under-the-car location and possible rusted/frozen bolts that make it a pain.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #983
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
....... It's not a hard job to change it, it's the under-the-car location and possible rusted/frozen bolts that make it a pain.
I'd definitely recommend splitting the nuts rather than hoping they unthread.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #984
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Replaced the flex pipe between the catalytic converter and the muffler on my Escape. It should have been a 15 minute job but (and there is always a "but" when wrenching) I broke off two bolts on the catalytic converter flange. In retrospect, I should have just split the nuts with a grinder, but I foolishly tried penetrating oil followed by generous applications of torque. I then foolishly thought that I could drill out said bolts, but numerous heating and cooling cycles had them to hardened like glass - a drill wouldn't touch them.

In the end, I cut a slot from the edge of the flange to the broken stud and punched out the broken studs. Four hours later - done.

Had forgot about this one.... this happened maybe 25 years ago... was going to help out this lady that I knew who was poor change the oil on her truck... well, the oil filter removal tool I had was skinny and not that great... it bent the oil filter..... called a friend who knew cars and he said to take a screwdriver and drive it through the oil filter and you can get more torque on it... sure you can... enough to tear the oil filter in two.... I will admit that it took me three hours to get to this point..... but, much cursing and worrying later I was thinking of just getting in my car and driving off... but called another friend who lived a bit away and he had a tool that had a wide strap... got it on the upper half and with a LOT of effort I finally broke the filter loose... put on the new filter, put in new oil and DONE.... only 6 hours to do it

If I had a problem with a filter after that I was going to take it in... but that was the last one that gave me a problem.... now I just pay someone to do it....
Old 08-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #985
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
............... now I just pay someone to do it....
What fun is that? No busted knuckles, no rust flakes in the eyes, no hot metal parts falling down your shirt.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #986
Give me a forum ...

A minor snafu, put the charging cap backwards on the battery of my hand held drill. Naturally blew up the bridge rectifier. Just happened to have some 1N4002 exact replacement diodes. Some soldering and all is well. The cap has been broken for years, need to pay attention to polarity each time.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #987
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Had forgot about this one.... this happened maybe 25 years ago... was going to help out this lady that I knew who was poor change the oil on her truck... well, the oil filter removal tool I had was skinny and not that great... it bent the oil filter..... called a friend who knew cars and he said to take a screwdriver and drive it through the oil filter and you can get more torque on it... sure you can... enough to tear the oil filter in two.... I will admit that it took me three hours to get to this point..... but, much cursing and worrying later I was thinking of just getting in my car and driving off... but called another friend who lived a bit away and he had a tool that had a wide strap... got it on the upper half and with a LOT of effort I finally broke the filter loose... put on the new filter, put in new oil and DONE.... only 6 hours to do it

If I had a problem with a filter after that I was going to take it in... but that was the last one that gave me a problem.... now I just pay someone to do it....
Moral of the story, always put the strap wrench on the bottom end of the filters. I too had crushed some filters in the past.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #988
Give me a forum ...

At least travelover did it in his garage, or on the driveway. Me, I had to re-attach the motorhome tail pipe in a parking lot of a closed-out shopping plaza, near Sandusky Bay.

I had looked up the address of a muffler shop with my map program, drove there just to find out that it was closed long ago. So, I detached the toad, used it to drive to the nearest auto part store to get the hardware, then did it myself while my wife stood watch.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #989
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After 80,000 miles on the original brake pads I checked them yesterday om my 4 cylinder car. Still have a quarter inch left. But only an eighth of an inch until the squeal tabs rub the rotor. Looks pretty clean and rust-free. Putting new pads in should be a nice moderate level challenge, when the time comes.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #990
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I took folks advice here, and bought one of those $5 gear parts for a garage door opener.
Had to drop the old one down onto a ladder to get some space at the top, otherwise it was a pretty easy job. Lathered it with grease before mounting the new one.

I returned the opener I had bought but didn't need for a $115 refund (great sale).
Old 08-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #991

PTO switch on zero turn mower.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #992
Moderator Emeritus

Replaced a bad ballast in a 4 foot fluorescent shop light.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #993
Give me a forum ...

The expensive Pfister kitchen faucet I installed less than 2 years ago leaked at the handle. I was cursing at the thought of having to crawl under the counter, besides having to spend another $200 for a replacement, when the thought of repairing it crossed my mind.

At the Web site of Pfister, I learned that the faucet got a lifetime warranty. Nice. So, I submitted a claim, and they sent me a replacement valve cartridge. I had not done this before, so fumbled for a bit before I figured out how to remove the decorative ring around the big nut holding in the cartridge. It got frozen due to the calcium deposit from the leak, and now got ugly scars from my plier. Now, I will have to see if I can get a replacement part from them.

I have also been building a shading structure for my wife's beloved tree. It's an exotic tropical fruit tree, and I could not talk her out of planting it in a harsh hot and dry climate that is not suitable. Women can be so stubborn.

So, seeing me posting so much here y'all would think I am not doing my chores, but I do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #994
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Women can be so stubborn.
OK ladies, have at him!
Old 08-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #995
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
......... It got frozen due to the calcium deposit from the leak, and now got ugly scars from my plier. Now, I will have to see if I can get a replacement part from them............
I had a similar issue and when I explained that it was seized due to corrosion, they sent me essentially a whole new faucet.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #996
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
.....and now got ugly scars from my plier. Now, I will have to see if I can get a replacement part from them....
Next time wrap masking/electrical tape around it a few times, to cut down on the scratches.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #997
Give me a forum ...

I used a heavy rubber pad, the type one uses to grab and open jar lids. The plier teeth cut right through it before I could get the ring to budge.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:47 AM   #998
Recycles dryer sheets

I replaced 14 shiny brass doorknobs with dull boring brushed satin ones today. Then I took an Epsom salt bath.

Do not love readying my home for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-31-2015, 06:37 AM   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had a similar issue and when I explained that it was seized due to corrosion, they sent me essentially a whole new faucet.
We have a Pfister kitchen faucet. It has had a free part once, and a complete replacement once (both free from Pfister with proof of purchase/receipt).
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #1000
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
We have a Pfister kitchen faucet. It has had a free part once, and a complete replacement once (both free from Pfister with proof of purchase/receipt).
I didn't even need a receipt.
Closed Thread