Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #1021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
We had a catastrophic failure on our well pressure tank..........
Coincidentally this also happened to my neighbor yesterday. The good news is that it is in the basement, the bad news is that he didn't notice until the water was 4" deep. Plumber charged him $800 to replace the tank, even though it was only the galvanized elbow connector that actually died. Neighbor is adding a water alarm.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #1022
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last evening at 10pm I noted that the A/C outside unit running but inside blower wasn't. And a strange odor in basement. Blower motor was hot to touch. Heading into hot three day weekend....an unwelcome state of affairs.

Got lucky, a little google investigation, pulled running capacitor to motor, at local electric supply at 7:30am, $8 and 8:10am and system running again!

Old 09-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Last evening at 10pm I noted that the A/C outside unit running but inside blower wasn't. And a strange odor in basement. Blower motor was hot to touch. Heading into hot three day weekend....an unwelcome state of affairs.

Got lucky, a little google investigation, pulled running capacitor to motor, at local electric supply at 7:30am, $8 and 8:10am and system running again!
That's a nice repair job!
Old 09-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #1024
Recycles dryer sheets

Managed to replace a faulty leisure battery in my RV all by myself. Boy those are heavy! Got a new one under warranty. Thanks dad for teaching me these things!

Could have let the garage do it for me but then I'd have to wait.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #1025
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was looking at an old receipt the other day and saw how it had faded to invisible. I knew it was the correct receipt as I had written "Battery" on it.

I think its a trick the stores know, so you never have the receipt years later.

Now I take a picture of my receipts I think I will need in the future and keep the images on my computer.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #1026

Just replaced a wood window in one of my apartments. Two rocks were thrown threw it by one of my tenants kids. At first she denied it was her kid, and I was planning on giving her the boot. She admitted to her kid doing it the next day, and paid me $250 for a new window.

Total cost of materials was closer to $300, but I figured a new pane would have only been close to $250. All vinyl, new vinyl sill and brick mold trim. It took longer than I thought, as I had to go back to the store to get some supplies. Probably ~5 hours total, all removed, replaced and installed. Caulked in nicely too.

It actually got broke back in late April, finally got time to put it in.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #1027

Replaced the power supply in my ancient ex windows XP computer that is now running Linux mint. $24 from amazon, perfect fit. I'm amazed that this old computer running Linux is actually now faster than my laptop running windows 7 with an I3 processor.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #1028

Your recent repair?

Removed/cleaned/reinstalled the throttle body and idle air control valve on DW's 05 Acura RSX after it started stalling at idle at 150,000 mi. Here's hoping that changes the conversations about buying a new car! $10 and about 2.5hrs.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441553744.505254.jpg
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #1029
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I was looking at an old receipt the other day and saw how it had faded to invisible. I knew it was the correct receipt as I had written "Battery" on it.

I think its a trick the stores know, so you never have the receipt years later.

Now I take a picture of my receipts I think I will need in the future and keep the images on my computer.
You might be able to resurrect that old receipt. I can recall using something like rubbing alcohol on some I had (old 'thermal paper' style). It reacts with the faded print to make it visible again. Or maybe heating it will create a 'negative'? But experiment first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
... I'm amazed that this old computer running Linux is actually now faster than my laptop running windows 7 with an I3 processor.
I'm not! Linux just isn't bloated like the other OS.

I recently had some tricky, one-time event kind of oddball file manipulations I had to do on some large directories (part of my family video archiving/editing project that I may detail later), and it looked like getting into the terminal was the best way to handle this (and I'm a klutz with terminal commands). Found what I needed, experimented a bit, and it worked like a charm. It's stunning how fast some stuff is when done straight from the terminal, you assume it errored-out and did nothing, and then you look and 500-some files were renamed just as you specified - in the blink of an eye!

-ERD50
Old 09-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #1030

I've been using Ubuntu for 3 yrs now. I'm very happy with it.

The terminal is super, I wrote some scripts to backup my computer because I didn't like the built-in backup software, and my rsync scripts only copy changed files to the NAS, its nice and fast.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #1031
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re-caulked the downstairs shower.

Original grout work had developed some cracks in two lower corners.

I originally thought I would be 'smart' and use clear latex based caulk, but that developed icky black mold.

Friday I stripped it all out. Let it dry Saturday and Sunday morning.

Color matched the original grout with sanded caulk and got a perfect color match. Can't even tell where the caulk is.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Removed/cleaned/reinstalled the throttle body and idle air control valve on DW's 05 Acura RSX after it started stalling at idle at 150,000 mi. Here's hoping that changes the conversations about buying a new car! $10 and about 2.5hrs.Attachment 22252
good job! those iacs can be a pain
Old 09-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
good job! those iacs can be a pain

We are three days post repair and the low idle is up to 800 from 400 to stall... I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. :-)
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #1034

Replaced rear brake shoes on 95 quadrunner ATV. Sometime next week will do the fronts.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #1035

During oil change, noticed passenger side cv boot leaking on gf's 2009 Hyundai Elantra. Considered fixing it, Youtubed it. Many different Youtube fixes, but I may let the mechanic fix this.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #1036
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
During oil change, noticed passenger side cv boot leaking on gf's 2009 Hyundai Elantra. Considered fixing it, Youtubed it. Many different Youtube fixes, but I may let the mechanic fix this.
Once the boot is torn and water/grit gets into the CV joint, there's no choice but a costly replacement. If the boot just tore recently and the joint isn't badly contaminated, she might be in luck. Two-piece boots are made that can be replaced fairly easily (compared to replacing the one-piece boot). I don't know how well the two-piece boots hold up in service, but it might be enough to give her a couple of years more time from the CV joint.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Once the boot is torn and water/grit gets into the CV joint, there's no choice but a costly replacement. If the boot just tore recently and the joint isn't badly contaminated, she might be in luck. Two-piece boots are made that can be replaced fairly easily (compared to replacing the one-piece boot). I don't know how well the two-piece boots hold up in service, but it might be enough to give her a couple of years more time from the CV joint.
Thanks. I got under the car again to check the boot before she brought it to the dealer. This time I saw much less grease and it was in a different spot. Strange. I couldn't find any specific hole or tear anywhere although there was definitely grease in one of the folds. I told her to cancel the appt with the dealer. They were giving her double-talk about whether it was covered under the warranty, and finally admitted they would charge her $150 just to CHECK the boot. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I have heard about the *split boot* option, but have read that they have mixed results. If the boot does rip, I'll probably have her take it to our local mechanic and have the whole half-axle replaced, including boot, which is only a bit more expensive than changing out just the boot.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #1038
Give me a forum ...

The boot may have a crack or split along an inner fold. This would not be visible until you bend or spread the accordion folds to check.

I have used a split-type replacement boot. The two halves are welded together using a special supplied solvent, after getting clamped onto the shaft. It seemed to hold up well.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #1039

Replaced the bath light/vent fan combo. The new one is bigger than the old one, so I had to do some minor reframing in the attic and make the hole in the ceiling bigger.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The boot may have a crack or split along an inner fold. This would not be visible until you bend or spread the accordion folds to check.

I have used a split-type replacement boot. The two halves are welded together using a special supplied solvent, after getting clamped onto the shaft. It seemed to hold up well.
Thanks, NW-bound. You'd think, in this modern age, that they'd have some sort of strong rubber-adhering tape and /or glue that one could carefully apply to the cracked area on the boot, after cleaning it. I have used Plumber's Goop glue on a moving plastic part in a toilet tank assembly that has lasted for years.