Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #1041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Thanks, NW-bound. You'd think, in this modern age, that they'd have some sort of strong rubber-adhering tape and /or glue that one could carefully apply to the cracked area on the boot, after cleaning it. I have used Plumber's Goop glue on a moving plastic part in a toilet tank assembly that has lasted for years.
Someone on this forum recommended Sugru......would that work as an adhesive for this application. I bought it to patch a wire rack in my dishwater but haven't used it yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #1042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is the 1st time I heard of Sugru. Interesting product, but the only way to know if it sticks to the rubber compound of the boot is to try it.

With the split boot that I used, the glue that is supplied is actually a solvent that melts the two halves along the seam. Hence they call the joint a "weld".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #1043
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for a split-boot on the CV joint. Make sure you pack it full of grease during the repair, and I'm sure it'll last for several years.

Back on topic: Today I fixed a leaking axle seal on my plow truck, and fixed the previous owner's hack job on the drum brakes (springs were in wrong, adjuster was on backwards).
Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #1044

Replaced master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders on my 68 GTO. The master was leaking, and the wheel cylinders were not in spite of being very old same as master cyl. Since the system needs bleeding due to master cyl, I just replaced the wheel cylinders as well.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 09-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #1045

Changed the garbage disposal. $300 -$400 job if done by a professional. The identical replacement unit was $80 at local hardware store. Took me about 45 minutes to do.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #1046
Recycles dryer sheets

50" Samsung TV wouldn't turn on. Found out there was a recall for Bad capacitors. However the recall was done a few years ago. So I ripped it apart myself and put in the new parts. It was easy to find the bad ones because they looked bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #1047

One month ago we replaced the PTO switch on our zero turn and the switch just went again yesterday. Just picked up a new one at a different dealer. The first was suppose to be a replacement and even though everything matched up (configuration of pins and serial #) it was a different color. This one is identical to the part I removed.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #1048

I'm not quite done yet, but I tore out and replaced a 6 foot wide window sill (double hung in the middle and a fixed window on either side). It was obviously not built to take apart, but between the sawsall and my new oscillating saw, I got the old one out, and cut off the rotten wood. I stuck a pvc replacement in, and did a little bondo work. It started to rain, so I've still got a little breeze blowing through, but this is the season where the indoor and outdoor temps are about the same.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #1049

Two projects today:

1. Fixed a leaky shower valve in one of our rental houses. The new washers and springs were $1.99 at Lowes. Took me about 45 minutes. Would have been quicker but the cartridge would not go back in all the way. After struggling for about 10 minutes, I felt around and discovered a small piece of debris in the valve housing. Once removed, it was smooth sailing.

2. Fixed the shift lever on DD's Ford Escape. The column shift lever moved up and down freely but was not shifting anything. The cable had popped off at the transmission. I was easily able to put it back on, and used a plastic tie wrap to temporarily hold it in place until I can find a more permanent solution. New shift cable probably.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #1050

Tie wraps seem to be becoming the new duct tape.
Your recent repair?
Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #1051
Moderator Emeritus

Your recent repair?

It's non-stop maintenance/repair here for the next month.

Just finished a 130' drainage tile for downspout and front yard drainage.
Just finished some regrading and reseeding.
Repaired a sprinkling system circuit to water the reseeded area.
Sawed down 2 trees
Tearing out old detached garage service door and replacing with a new one.
Installed a rain diverter on the garage roof to divert rainfall from falling from roof in front of service door.
Installing a reverse osmosis filter / re plumb kitchen sink cold water to softened water
Pressure wash paver walkways and fill joints with polymeric sand
Stain house overhang/caulk gaps.
Reset/patch exposed roofing nails in shingles.

Then I'll be ready for winter.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #1052

My Outdoor air condensing unit quit working. I noticed the inside air had been running for hours, but the house was getting warmer. Felt the air temp and it was blowing warm air. Did some troubleshooting and got the outdoor fan to start by spinning it. This got me to thinking it was the starter capacitor. Then the scroll compressor wouldn't start either. A little google searching had me diagnose the problem for my model being the dual start capacitor that starts both fan and compressor. It's about the only part located inside the unit panel other than a relay. Called an HVAC contractor and they wanted $400 to come out on the weekend to replace it. I called my local Trane parts dealer and got a new one for $26. Took 15 minutes to replace. Unit runs fine and house is cold again.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Called an HVAC contractor and they wanted $400 to come out on the weekend to replace it. I called my local Trane parts dealer and got a new one for $26. Took 15 minutes to replace. Unit runs fine and house is cold again.
Wow, I'd blacklist that contractor! And if you have a Facebook, Twitter, etc. account I'd make sure to put up posts about that too.

Unless you're a several-hour drive out in the wilderness that's almost criminal overcharging.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #1054

New roof, Mueller Metal, put over 18 YO asphalt. 12 new double pane windows in our Arizona room. Ms G asked if we are still going to Galapagos/Machu Picchu, Hell yes says I.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #1055
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Changed the garbage disposal. $300 -$400 job if done by a professional. The identical replacement unit was $80 at local hardware store. Took me about 45 minutes to do.

Me, too. Mine cost $89.00. That was a week ago and my wife told me this morning that it had clogged up already. My handy plunger did the trick.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, I'd blacklist that contractor! And if you have a Facebook, Twitter, etc. account I'd make sure to put up posts about that too.

Unless you're a several-hour drive out in the wilderness that's almost criminal overcharging.

$100 for the same part I bought for $26 (markup) plus $200 labor and $100 service call fee to get there. Pretty typical nowadays actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Me, too. Mine cost $89.00. That was a week ago and my wife told me this morning that it had clogged up already. My handy plunger did the trick.

I noticed when I replaced mine that the outlet pipe from the disposal and the trap it feeds into were quite clogged up with a grease like deposit. Used the opportunity to clean them out completely.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #1058
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I noticed when I replaced mine that the outlet pipe from the disposal and the trap it feeds into were quite clogged up with a grease like deposit. Used the opportunity to clean them out completely.
Maybe that's what the plumber charges $300 to do.
I recall cleaning out floor drains when I worked in fast food. Nasty work, that is.
We rarely use our garbage disposal, most solid stuff goes right into the trash can. I think this significantly reduces the chances for drain problems and it's just as fast/convenient. I don't count the garbage disposal among the major advances in home technology.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #1059

Not a repair, per se, but did the winterizing of my swamp cooler and switching over to heating mode. Being in dry climate, I do not have an air conditioner, just the evaporative (aka swamp) cooler which works good for relatively low cost to operate.

Next repair is replace the water pump in my 88 Ford truck, it started leaking and have the parts on order, so that will take up some of next weekend.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Maybe that's what the plumber charges $300 to do.
I recall cleaning out floor drains when I worked in fast food. Nasty work, that is.
We rarely use our garbage disposal, most solid stuff goes right into the trash can. I think this significantly reduces the chances for drain problems and it's just as fast/convenient. I don't count the garbage disposal among the major advances in home technology.
True enough - particularly in our case since we live in a rural area and have a septic system. Our old garbage disposal just died, wouldn't turn at all and then of course, things just backup in there so had no choice but to change it but I agree, a garbage disposal is not much of a particularly useful appliance. I'm not sure a dishwasher is either.
Closed Thread