Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Sprayed the nut real good and then made a "bowl" by tieing plastic bags around the valve. Filled the "bowl" with white vinegar and let it soak an hour or so. Came off fairly easily after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Excellent!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #1202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Replaced my garage door opener today. It was installed by the original owner in 1976. I have the manual and the Sears receipt for $187 - that is $780 adjusted for inflation. This did not include installation.

I replaced it with a Chamberlain from Home Depot for $150. The new unit was defective right out of the box. But of course, I didn't know that until I had it all installed and ready to program.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage Door Opener.jpg (494.9 KB, 6 views)

Old 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Replaced my garage door opener today. It was installed by the original owner in 1976. I have the manual and the receipt for $187 - that is $780 adjusted for inflation.

I replaced it with a Chamberlain from Home Depot for $150. The new unit was defective right out of the box. But of course, I didn't know that until I had it all installed and ready to program.
Curious, but what was wrong with it out of the box?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #1204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Curious, but what was wrong with it out of the box?
I could not program the open and closed positions. I called tech support and they said the flashing code indicated a bad internal component, which they offered to send me. I declined and just bought another at Home Depot and swapped the head unit and remotes. Sucks to not have a door opener and if that was not the problem, I'd be even more inconvenienced.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #1205

Quote:
I could not program the open and closed positions. I called tech support and they said the flashing code indicated a bad internal component, which they offered to send me. I declined and just bought another at Home Depot and swapped the head unit and remotes. Sucks to not have a door opener and if that was not the problem, I'd be even more inconvenienced.
Yeah, fun stuff. I just keep rebuilding my 1999 unit when the nylon gearing fails. They are pretty simple units although some of the fancy newer ones have more electronic features.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #1206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, fun stuff. I just keep rebuilding my 1999 unit when the nylon gearing fails. They are pretty simple units although some of the fancy newer ones have more electronic features.
Ironically, my 1976 model still worked perfectly though the remotes looked pretty rough and were huge. The new one weighs half as much as the old one, less steel in the track and less copper in the motor.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #1207

Quote:
Ironically, my 1976 model still worked perfectly though the remotes looked pretty rough and were huge. The new one weighs half as much as the old one, less steel in the track and less copper in the motor.
The only thing I have left from 1976 is our original General Motors refrigerator, which has become the garage unit (still running). Lots of heavy wire and relays in that monster compared to todays computer controlled, low amp units.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #1208

Quote:
The only thing I have left from 1976 is our original General Motors refrigerator, which has become the garage unit (still running). Lots of heavy wire and relays in that monster compared to todays computer controlled, low amp units.
Left from 1976... Hmm. Wonder what major items I have.
House from the 50s.
Console radio from 1958.
Car from 1976.
Spouse and self...

Perhaps I best stop here.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Left from 1976... Hmm. Wonder what major items I have.
House from the 50s.
Console radio from 1958.
Car from 1976.
Spouse and self...

Perhaps I best stop here.
Well, most everything else went in the divorce.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #1210

Quote:
Replaced my garage door opener today. It was installed by the original owner in 1976. I have the manual and the Sears receipt for $187 - that is $780 adjusted for inflation. This did not include installation.

Ha! This sounds awfully familiar. Our 1987 Sears GDO just burned out a winding in the motor. I just picked up a Chamberlain at the local box box store, and have it assembled and mounted. It got dark, so I'll finish the waiting and setup in the morning, assuming the thing works...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #1211

Heater wasn't working in my workshop this morning. I took it apart and found some corroded and disconnected fittings. But since it was a real mess, and 12 years old, I didn't try to fix it. Just went out and bought a new one. Had to do some re-wiring, but the new one is running fine.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Ha! This sounds awfully familiar. Our 1987 Sears GDO just burned out a winding in the motor. I just picked up a Chamberlain at the local box box store, and have it assembled and mounted. It got dark, so I'll finish the waiting and setup in the morning, assuming the thing works...

I ran new wiring for the sensors and switch, as the old wiring had been nibbled on and spliced a few times. That had me cleaning out 30 year old cobwebs in the roofline corners. Yuck. Anyway, the GDO worked, so I went through all the usual trip point and calibration work, and now I'm done.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #1213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I ran new wiring for the sensors and switch, as the old wiring had been nibbled on and spliced a few times. That had me cleaning out 30 year old cobwebs in the roofline corners. Yuck. Anyway, the GDO worked, so I went through all the usual trip point and calibration work, and now I'm done.
Glad it worked out. I took back the bad unit that I had bought and they refunded my money without even looking in the box.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #1214

I also installed a new Chamberlain (whisper drive) garage door opener a couple months ago and pleased with it so far, very quiet. My new pickup truck barely fits in the garage so I also installed the Chamberlain Laser Garage Parking Assist accessory. It's wired into the garage door head unit and turns on for a couple minutes when the door opens, it shines a small red light on the hood of your car and makes it easy to gauge when the truck is in far enough for the garage door to close. Well worth the $17 cost.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #1215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
....... I also installed the Chamberlain Laser Garage Parking Assist accessory. It's wired into the garage door head unit and turns on for a couple minutes when the door opens, it shines a small red light on the hood of your car and makes it easy to gauge when the truck is in far enough for the garage door to close. Well worth the $17 cost.
I have a pair of these and love them - so superior to a tennis ball on a string.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #1216

I'd never heard of the laser assist thingys. We're doing well now, but when we first bought the house DW had a hard time positioning the car in the garage. I could tell when she came home by the crunching of the galvanized trash cans behind the car.

Then she got mad at me when I called it "parking by sonar". You know, back up until you hear crunching noises....
Old 12-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #1217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Then she got mad at me when I called it "parking by sonar". You know, back up until you hear crunching noises....
Those couches can be lumpy to sleep on, can't they?
Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #1218
Give me a forum ...

We use these rubber mats. Very effective. The first rise tells you you're close to perfectly positioned, the second one keeps you from going any further.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8958965/00288
Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'd never heard of the laser assist thingys. We're doing well now, but when we first bought the house DW had a hard time positioning the car in the garage. I could tell when she came home by the crunching of the galvanized trash cans behind the car.

I use "sonar" to park my car and truck. Our garage is so packed with stuff that I need to park within a few inches of the correct spot or I'll hit something, I know the car is ok if the laser beam hits the "T" in the windshield radio antenna.I have a similar spot for the truck to shoot for.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #1220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a pair of these and love them - so superior to a tennis ball on a string.
OK, a laser is cool and everything, but what makes it superior to the tennis ball on a string trick (which I've never bothered to do, so I'd probably never, ever get around to mounting a laser, wires and all).

Cool is a good enough reason though!

-ERD50