Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #1361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a repair, but an enhancement to my motorhome. Its water heater runs on propane only. Looking for a place to refill the propane tank can be a chore while traveling, and it is silly to use up the propane when I am plugged into shore power at RV parks with hookup.

There's an aftermarket kit that has an electric element that screws into the drain hole of the heater. Instead of buying the entire kit, I bought just a replacement heater element, and use it with a digital and settable thermostat off eBay. This is the same $12 electronic temperature controller that I have used to make my own sous vide cooker.

While driving, I can also power the water heater with the whole-house 2kW inverter, that runs off the batteries being fed from the alternator. My 225W solar panel is too puny to run this 500W water heater.

PS. I just realized another nice feature provided by this digital temperature controller. Even when I cannot run the electric heater and have to turn on the propane heater, the temperature display is nice to show the temperature of the tank, and to know if it is good for a shower.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #1362
Recycles dryer sheets

Installed new rotors and disc brake pads on the Caddy today. Original set lasted 62,000 miles, probably could have got another 5,000 to 10,000 out of them but I am too lazy to monitor them closely. These should last until I trade it off in 3 years.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #1363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
On my run this morning I saw a dresser and headboard out for the trash. They were not exactly stylish by today's standard, but certainly usable. Someone could probably turn them into "shabby chic" with some milk paint and creativity. It's a shame if they end up in the landfill. I thought about running home to get the pickup truck, retrieving the items, and delivering them to the Thrift Store...but the dresser was much too large for me to lift into the truck bed on my own.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but it really annoys me when I see that because most of the 2nd hand places will pickup re-usable items for no charge.....AND it's deductible.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #1364
Full time employment: Posting here.

On Thursday, I finished putting up a basement bedroom closet ceiling after finding and fixing a leak from the upstairs bathroom. That night, we found the carpet in that bedroom soaked. I figured the water was coming from the boiler room, so Friday, I cleaned it out and figured out the water was coming from the hot water tank. Saturday, my plumber son and I (well, I got things that he needed), changed out the tank and re-did the piping. The new setup is a much cleaner and more artistic layout than the Rube Goldberg layout it was before.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Not to sidetrack the thread, but it really annoys me when I see that because most of the 2nd hand places will pickup re-usable items for no charge.....AND it's deductible.
Not around here.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 AM   #1366
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not my choice of tile, and not my job to clean it.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #1367
Full time employment: Posting here.

The floor in my RV bathroom had "play" in it - I was afraid it was going to end up cracking.
I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit the floor area with bevelled edges. Then used fiberglass resin to adhere to the rough sanded floor, adding several dumbbells to flatten out and get a good attachment.
After a couple days I added 4 layers of fiberglass with resin on top and allowed to dry. Then sanded it nice and flat/smooth and painted with gloss white paint.

The floor is rock solid and looks like new -
I have a lot of camping/traveling planned! Already have been to Death Valley, San Diego and Santa Cruz this year......
Old 04-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #1368
Recycles dryer sheets

We had new garage doors (2) installed last Friday and one of the openers replaced. House is pushing 40 years old, still had the original doors. New ones are insulated, should keep the garage warmer. Also shopping for a new dishwasher. We've been in this house 17 years, it was here when we moved in. The top rack is rusting.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #1369

The shower/bath in the guest bathroom doesn't get used very often. Had some visitors over last week and sure enough the first guest who used the shower informed me there was no hot water coming out of the shower. Confirmed the problem and removed the water valve cover to get access to the inside. Turned the water main off and tried to remove the valve cartridge but it was stuck and wasn't easily coming out. Figured the valve cartridge needed replacing so picked one up at HD, along with a cartridge removal tool. The old cartridge came out easily with the tool and the new one slid in easily with some grease applied. Fixed the problem and the guest were happy.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #1370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The shower/bath in the guest bathroom doesn't get used very often. Had some visitors over last week and sure enough the first guest who used the shower informed me there was no hot water coming out of the shower........... .
I've got one of those anti scald shower controls and I found that very fine debris would jam it up, as it has two surfaces that rotate counter to one another with a tight clearance.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #1371

New brakes on 2003 Jetta:

IMG_20160326_164027618.jpg
Old 04-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #1372

New valve covers and steering wheel on 1976 Monte Carlo.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #1373
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I installed new quick struts on my 2006 Cadillac DTS. Local shop quoted $780 to do the job including front end alignment. I purchased the quick struts online for $262.07 delivered to my house. I have already made an appointment for a front end alignment tomorrow at a cost of $62.35 including tax.

A few hours of my labor saved me about $455 compared to the local shop. Not bad!
Old 04-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #1374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Today I installed new quick struts on my 2006 Cadillac DTS. Local shop quoted $780 to do the job including front end alignment. I purchased the quick struts online for $262.07 delivered to my house. I have already made an appointment for a front end alignment tomorrow at a cost of $62.35 including tax.

A few hours of my labor saved me about $455 compared to the local shop. Not bad!
I did the Quick Struts on my Escape and it was a very easy job - 5 bolts on each side as I recall. The estimated labor by my local repair shop was a total rip off.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #1375
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The shower/bath in the guest bathroom doesn't get used very often. Had some visitors over last week and sure enough the first guest who used the shower informed me there was no hot water coming out of the shower. Confirmed the problem and removed the water valve cover to get access to the inside. Turned the water main off and tried to remove the valve cartridge but it was stuck and wasn't easily coming out. Figured the valve cartridge needed replacing so picked one up at HD, along with a cartridge removal tool. The old cartridge came out easily with the tool and the new one slid in easily with some grease applied. Fixed the problem and the guest were happy.
If you have a Moen shower head they'll send you a new cartridge for free. Some of my Moen faucets are 20 years old now, and I've learned that their lifetime warranty comes in handy.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #1376
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently replaced a lavatory faucet and fell victim to my dyslexia. The replacement faucets came with the hot marked with red tape. "OK," I thought, "red goes on the right." I got done and realized that I'd installed the faucets backwards.

Thinking back, I did the same thing when I installed new faucets in the kitchen a few years ago.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
If you have a Moen shower head they'll send you a new cartridge for free. Some of my Moen faucets are 20 years old now, and I've learned that their lifetime warranty comes in handy.
It is a Moen but didn't even consider it would be covered under warranty (18 years old), thanks for the info. Even if I had I'm not sure I would have waited for Moen to ship one out, needed the extra shower with guest visiting. I will try to get them to ship out a replacement anyway, never hurts to have a spare around.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #1378
Recycles dryer sheets

I had shut off our giant gas water heater for vacation but upon our return, the pilot would not light. If the pilot lights but does not stay lit, it normally just needs a $10 thermocouple, but ours would not ignite at all. Turns out there was no gas coming out of the pilot line so the valve was broken or blocked. Cleaning the pilot line did not help so a plumber suggested installing a new water heater for $2000. Instead I ordered a new valve unit online and installed it myself. For $130 plus express shipping it's as good as new, and I had a chance to flush out all the gunk that had built up in the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I recently replaced a lavatory faucet and fell victim to my dyslexia. The replacement faucets came with the hot marked with red tape. "OK," I thought, "red goes on the right." I got done and realized that I'd installed the faucets backwards.

Thinking back, I did the same thing when I installed new faucets in the kitchen a few years ago.
Must be an ex sailor. Red Right Returning.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
I had shut off our giant gas water heater for vacation but upon our return, the pilot would not light. If the pilot lights but does not stay lit, it normally just needs a $10 thermocouple, but ours would not ignite at all. Turns out there was no gas coming out of the pilot line so the valve was broken or blocked. Cleaning the pilot line did not help so a plumber suggested installing a new water heater for $2000. Instead I ordered a new valve unit online and installed it myself. For $130 plus express shipping it's as good as new, and I had a chance to flush out all the gunk that had built up in the bottom of the tank.
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I used to turn mine off for vacations, but now I just turn it down very low so I don't have to fuss with lighting it, just turn the dial up.
Your story makes me sure I'll continue just lowering it a lot.