Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #1341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Did a little tile work. Finished a few days ago, actually, but wanted to warn about variable thickness tile. It's OK until you have to turn a corner. Then you need to chop tiles and piece it. I don't know why the builders didn't make the surround go to the ceiling... It's just sheets of faux marble. The steam played heck withe the wallpaper, so that came off, and after painting, I was on the hook to install this mosaic variable thickness tile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Is that going to be difficult to clean?
My thoughts exactly, I can't image cleaning that surface.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #1342
Recycles dryer sheets

Tough week - dishwasher died and needs to be replaced AND found out one of the heating elements on the dryer is out. Since we are selling in a year, annoying to have to buy a new dishwasher but not as annoying as hand washing dishes a couple times a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #1343
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL, I did that about a month or two ago... pretty quick exchange...

Did you put in the old mechanical one? I had bought one a few years back when I thought ours had gone out but it started to work again when I spun it quickly for what it thought was a week...
Same model as was installed T100 Series

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Same model as was installed T100 Series
Be careful if they offer upgrades.

http://www.dailydiscord.com/resources/T100.jpg
Old 03-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #1345
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon replacing the latch for one of the sliding doors on my wife's minivan. It's been broken for a few months, rendering that door unusable. The dealership wanted $1000 to fix it. My indy shop which I've liked wouldn't touch it for any sum of money, and pointed me back to the dealership.

The part cost me $180, plus another $18 for the trim removal tools. It was a huge PITA to get the new part in, but DW and I working together managed it.

Good learning experience, and I saved $800 bucks. My wife and kids are thrilled to have a working door again. I should send my indy shop a thank you note!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Is that going to be difficult to clean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
My thoughts exactly, I can't image cleaning that surface.
Not my choice of tile, and not my job to clean it.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #1347
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
Tough week - dishwasher died and needs to be replaced AND found out one of the heating elements on the dryer is out. Since we are selling in a year, annoying to have to buy a new dishwasher but not as annoying as hand washing dishes a couple times a day.
Are you sure you can't/don't want to economically fix it? I changed out the "circulation pump" in ours with a new one, and it was surprisingly easy and inexpensive. There are great videos and other resources online showing how to do a lot of these jobs. Fixing rather than replacing is especially economical if the appliance is high-end or if there's a desire that the replacement dishwasher "match" a pricey fridge, etc.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:55 AM   #1348

I tore down an old kayak rack that was falling apart and built a new and better designed one. Much more stable, stronger, easier to move, and easier to store or remove the kayaks. Next project is to cut down some metal tubing to make a semi-temporary covered storage for a motorcycle.

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #1349

We need more pictures in this thread!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #1350

After 16 years of years daily use the top of the alarm fob for my Jeep broke. My fix was to tape an old key to the back so I could put the fob back on my keychain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0309161433a.jpg (372.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 0309161433.jpg (366.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #1351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
After 16 years of years daily use the top of the alarm fob for my Jeep broke. My fix was to tape an old key to the back so I could put the fob back on my keychain.
Plus if the fob dies, you can open the door with the key.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #1352

Quote:
See, you (and a lot of people that post in this thread) will be valuable in the zombie apocalypse since you can make things work without going out and buying a new one.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #1353
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I once had this same repair to make for a key fob on one of my vehicles. I mixed up some JB Weld (a two part epoxy cement/filler) and molded a "knob" where the broken part of the fob used to be. Once it cured, I drilled a hole in the hardened epoxy knob and it was as good as new. It was effective, but your idea was a lot simpler / quicker. Great thinking!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I mixed up some JB Weld (a two part epoxy cement/filler) and molded a "knob" where the broken part of the fob used to be.
JB Weld is good stuff, but an even simpler method is to use something called Sugru. Pliable glue that you can shape with your fingers and after 24 hours is as hard as plastic. Very handy for so many things.

https://sugru.com
Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #1355
gone traveling

Neighbors up the hill are a nice enough couple. Upper 40s DINKs. He has lots of cool toys although I suspect not much of a mechanic or real DIY guy... .

He had a spare craftsman snow blower that had a bad wheel rim so the tubeless tire bead wouldn't seat. Also he couldn't get it to run except for spraying carb cleaner into the carb. He gave it to me claiming it was "cursed and could never get it running right" .... My kinda challenge ... He Gave it to me for "free".

A 3 dollar golf cart inner tube from Amazon fixed the tire that wouldn't mount to the rim. And a 15 dollar carburetor online replaced the corroded and clogged tecumseh carb that was on there. Literally 2 bolts and 30 mins work for a perfectly good 5 HP/22" wide snow blower.

Of course it was 72 degrees today so it's a long term investment, not to mention his smart strategy that I'll now be obliged to help him quickly clear our partially shared long driveway henceforth at the first flurry of snow .

Hope the "warranty" doesn't run out before we have some snow.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #1356
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Neighbors up the hill are a nice enough couple. Upper 40s DINKs. He has lots of cool toys although I suspect not much of a mechanic or real DIY guy... .

He had a spare craftsman snow blower that had a bad wheel rim so the tubeless tire bead wouldn't seat. Also he couldn't get it to run except for spraying carb cleaner into the carb. He gave it to me claiming it was "cursed and could never get it running right" .... My kinda challenge ... He Gave it to me for "free".

A 3 dollar golf cart inner tube from Amazon fixed the tire that wouldn't mount to the rim. And a 15 dollar carburetor online replaced the corroded and clogged tecumseh carb that was on there. Literally 2 bolts and 30 mins work for a perfectly good 5 HP/22" wide snow blower.

Of course it was 72 degrees today so it's a long term investment, not to mention his smart strategy that I'll now be obliged to help him quickly clear our partially shared long driveway henceforth at the first flurry of snow .

Hope the "warranty" doesn't run out before we have some snow.
Sweet,
Reminds me of the time I was driving to work and some folks moving into a house were throwing out a snowblower for free because it would not "fit" in the garage with their car.

I took it, it ran fine, used it for years, and sold it for $150 when a relative gave me a newer one because he moved into a condo.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #1357

This morning I rescued two Adirondack chairs that the neighbors had at the curb for trash pickup. They are in bad shape, but with some new boots and a good paint job they will be put to good use around the fire pit at our mountain house. I'll try to remember to post "before and after" photos when I tackle the job.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #1358

Isn't it great when we get the opportunity to bring life to discarded items when people don't realize the potential of the item. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #1359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't it great when we get the opportunity to bring life to discarded items when people don't realize the potential of the item. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Yes! Our HOA sponsors Dumpster Day 2x per year. The county provides two large (40 ft) dumpsters and the neighbors have them filled by 11am on a Saturday Morning. I volunteer my pickup truck to help relieve Senior Citizens of their "stuff". I always end up bringing stuff home that just needs a cleanup or minor repair. There is a far amount of scavenging too. This time I think we will have a goodwill truck on site for the perfectly good stuff that folks just want to get rid of (I just can't take all of it!).
Old 03-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Yes! Our HOA sponsors Dumpster Day 2x per year. The county provides two large (40 ft) dumpsters and the neighbors have them filled by 11am on a Saturday Morning. I volunteer my pickup truck to help relieve Senior Citizens of their "stuff". I always end up bringing stuff home that just needs a cleanup or minor repair. There is a far amount of scavenging too. This time I think we will have a goodwill truck on site for the perfectly good stuff that folks just want to get rid of (I just can't take all of it!).

On my run this morning I saw a dresser and headboard out for the trash. They were not exactly stylish by today's standard, but certainly usable. Someone could probably turn them into "shabby chic" with some milk paint and creativity. It's a shame if they end up in the landfill. I thought about running home to get the pickup truck, retrieving the items, and delivering them to the Thrift Store...but the dresser was much too large for me to lift into the truck bed on my own.

Not only did I trash pick today, but I apparently had my trash picked. I put a sturdy cardboard box on top of our trash can as I went out for my run. (It was a nice box, but DH has a year's supply stashed in the basement already). When I got home, the trash was still there but the box was gone. I guess someone had a need for a sturdy box. 😊
Closed Thread