Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Your Spouse After Retirement?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your Spouse After Retirement?

My wife and I are planning to retire at the same time, so I'm not bored at home alone, and to avoid any resentment she might feel still having to work while I'm goofing off.

I don't expect my own life to change much after retiring. I'll probably still keep working at least part time for a while as I enjoy it and it won't take much effort once I scale back. Even a few extra dollars each year would help. I'm sure I'll do some woodworking, probably waste too much time watching TV, take care of yard work, and do my usual errands running to the grocery store or home center. I also hope we'll be able to do more hiking, go see movies, and do little overnight getaways more often. Nothing too extravagant, just enjoy the time we have together.

My wife has a long list of hobbies and crafts she is looking forward to, but mostly I think she just wants away from work. She doesn't have the social interaction at work she used to (they've retired or moved on), but I still worry how she'll do long term without daily interaction with her coworkers. (I've worked alone over 25 years, so no worries for myself).

That said, I do wonder if she'll actually pursue her interests once she retires. She has many interests now, but when she does have time off work she's never motivated to work on her crafts, sort through stuff that's been piling up, or whatever. Most days off she just plays puzzle games on the tablet. I'm glad it's relaxing to her, but it seems like a waste of time (like my TV watching is productive) and it would be sad if that's all she does once we retire. It's ironic because she is such a workaholic at work, and so dedicated to caring for her mom, but at home she just isn't motivated to do much of anything.

On the upside, we both truly enjoy time with each other. No matter how much time we have we want more. We are each others best friend and enjoy doing everything together.

Anyway, I'm curious if your spouse followed the path they envisioned after retiring? Did they pursue the interests they thought they would do? Did you and your spouse get closer or spend more time apart? Was there an "adjustment period" to your new retired life together, and if so how long did it last?
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My DW watched tv during most of her spare time pre-retirement. She still spends most of the day watching tv 5 years into retirement. Along with exercise class 4 days a week in retirement.

She didn't have any plans to do anything in retirement - so tv fits in just fine. We spend a little more time together than we did when working. I don't usually come into the house until around 5. We didn't have an adjustment period since we spend about the same time together as we used to.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

My wife retired eight years before I did. She did everything around the house and many painting and yard projects. She has never been much of a television watcher except the normal Batchelor shows. Yes there was an adjustment after I retired but we spent a lot of time together prior to that. We have tried to have some parts of our life separate for good reason. Too much time together can be resented by one or the other. If she’s happy watching the tube and gets exercise then that’s her prerogative. However I think it’s healthy to suggest a hobby or hobbies to broaden her horizons. My wife became a CASA which is winding down. In the meantime I just got her hooked on golf at the age of 65 so her days should be filled until it’s time to put away the clubs for good. BTW I try and not golf with her regularly. That’s not alway a good idea for some marriages like ours
Old 08-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

Maybe when she has larger chunks of time available, she'll be more motivated to pursue her other interests. It can be hard when you just have a few hours left after work, or the regular days off. You said she's caring for her mom, too. She's just squeezing in what she can for herself right now, stuff that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking, planning, and effort.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

My DW refused to retire until I had been retired for a year. She was afraid I would want to return to work. Didn't happen, won't happen! So after 1 year I told her the motorhome was loaded and I was leaving soon. She turned in her notice and we're still traveling.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My DW is still w*rking, although at reduced hours. I will say that I had "grand plans" for retirement with all the new found time. Well, guess what? That time is spoken for just as soon as I get up. I am NOT complaining, I am just saying that what you and DW have planned for retirement might be something totally different than what you actually retire "to"
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not a relationship export (not even close), but if I were you, I would prepare myself for her playing videos games on her tablet (or watching TV, etc) all the time after retirement. You might need to curve your urge to criticize her for being lazy or whatever because of it as that won't be good for you too.

As for myself, I consider myself pretty lazy when I'm home, but DH doesn't mind.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #8

My DW and I both resigned in January this year.

Together, we have gone on cruises; a number of short and long trips. We still have a few coming this year. Total travel days will be around 145.

During the month of July and August when we stay home, we go to local community college to swim daily, then walk in a local mall. Tuesdays are our movie day since there is a deep discount in AMC theater. Wednesdays are library days. Fridays are Costco days. I also sign up with free days with local museums and gardens.

We do things together. So far no issues.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #9

Irrespective of how she uses her time, make sure to give her ample breathing room. I didn't. Shortly after my retirement, she was very sullen. One day, during a walk, I probed for the issue.

"Too much husband, not enough money" was her reply.

The money was fine, but she wasn't yet comfortable with no regular check flopping into the bank. And I was guilty of invading her space. Between these dramatic new changes, she was simply overwhelmed. I got out of the house doing my own thing and all was okay.

Another recent thread indicated that many of us parted ways with our co-workers after retirement, because they were co-workers - not true friends

If you two love being together, everything else will likely fall into (blissful) place. It has for us.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Your wife is tired from everything she is doing. I would want to rest too. 2 TV’s and separate offices have been the secret to retirement success) We do some things together and some separate.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Irrespective of how she uses her time, make sure to give her ample breathing room.
Obviously we try to do things together, but when I'm doing my own thing she tends to follow me. If I'm on the computer (i.e. reading this forum) she'll come hang out in the office with me. If I go watch TV, she'll come hang out in the living room. She plays her games a lot because she can bring the tablet with her to do her thing, while she is with me doing my thing.

I keep telling her she doesn't HAVE to be with me every minute, that she can do her own thing, but I guess I'm irresistible.

Maybe she'll get sick of me once we retire and be more willing to take time for her own interests. Of course, then I'll probably whine about not getting enough time with her.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would strangle someone that was following me around the house)
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

DH retired before I did, he developed a hobby of working with wood out in his shed/man cave. Thats where he is almost daily, while I am doing my thing in the garden, on the computer, reading, or whatever. We go for walks, eat at least one main meal together and generally watch TV or movies together the evenings, or go for country drives and just talk.

Give her some time after retirement to figure out how she wants to plan her day, however SHE wants it to be. If you feel you need some of your own space/time away from each other, then communicate that early on before it becomes a bigger issue.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
gone traveling

Most likely, your wife will find a groove after retiring, if not, maybe you can steer her into a YMCA membership, or a local senior center who has many different activities for the 55+ crowd.

My wife is an absolute workaholic, and never seems to have any time, for nearly anything else. She will want her greenhouse built, and her raised bed gardens upgraded, along with all of her animals.

I truly enjoy working/being alone, but have a separate heated, metal working shop that has an attached 2 post lift in my barn...so projects galore, and I could take on some paying projects.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire at the same time, so I'm not bored at home alone, and to avoid any resentment she might feel still having to work while I'm goofing off...
every retired man needs three things...

- a good truck
- a good dog
- a working wife

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #16

DH and I retired on the same day. I think he was a bit worried because he likes to sleep in and likes his alone time which he either spends on technical projects (ie organizing our digital photo library, setting up a NAS, etc.) or watching movies. I think he was afraid I’d wake him up early and drag him with me on activities he wasn’t really excited about. This hasn’t happened.

I was a bit worried too. I was afraid I’d be resentful of his sleeping in later than I do, and we’d end up not spending much time together because I have a lot of friends and volunteer activities outside our home, plus I go to the gym or swim most days.

Turns out neither of us had anything to worry about. We each maintain our different sleeping schedules, and I do go out and do more things with others than he does. However, we also spend more time together and we really enjoy that.

The key is being flexible and letting go of any expectations you have of the other person. It sounds like you and DW have a great relationship. That definitely helps. I’m sure you’ll both find retirement very enjoyable!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

DW retired about a year and a half before me. Her employer told her that she couldn't take 2 more weeks off for us to visit Arizona that year. She said 'Oh yes I can' and quit.
I traveled a lot for my job, and the biggest adjustment when I retired was she had to get used to me being around all the time. She regularly said that I needed to find something that got me out of the house occasionally. I had been out of the house plenty for the last 20 years, and except for the much travel we do together, I did not leave often. It took her well over a year to get used to that.

I had to get used to doing more chores around the house.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife retired before me and has always had a full life of interests. When I retired seven years ago, it became great to spend more time together. A couple of issues however:
I’d been a big boss for a very long time. All of a sudden the only person I could give orders to was the one person in the world least likely to respond well to them. That was quickly beaten out of me.
She finds me too “sticky” - so it is important that I have enough things to do by myself to give her the space she loves. That’s a constant and continuing adjustment based on our moods and needs.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My wife ran medical laboratories, and her whole life was spent on her feet. Then she came home and kept a somewhat obsessively clean home--finally falling in bed at 10:30 p.m. Then spinal stenosis and arthritis got to her, and she started falling down stairs. She had to retire at 50 on social security disability. She's spent her last 18 years working on her health, including numerous operations and being in pain management. Otherwise, she's as healthy as a horse--except for the arthritis. She too plays games on her tablets too much, but I'm on the internet too much too.

We now are raising an 8 year old granddaughter, and find this arrangement to be very frequent in our community. Our girl's a joy to be around, and we don't know what we'd do without her. I've become a semi-full time driver for Brynley and all her extracurricular activities. Today's the first day of her private schooling for the year, and her 3rd grade academics are so much tougher than I remember. It's back to working on homework 3 nights a week.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #20

DW retired long before I did so she already had her ER routine. When I retired, she didn't have to get up early to give me a ride to my company shuttle stop. In that regard, her life got much easier. We also played more golf together. Before, we played golf on weekends mostly. Other than that, her routine didn't change much.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote