Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hobbies? I don't want to do a d*mn thing. Only recently have I realized even after a year of retirement I have yet to have fully decompressed. Mentoring and facilitating success classes for youth ages 16-24 starts in a month and I am wondering if I should have waited longer before volunteering.

I have never had any interest in the usual grown up toys of any kind. I read (non-fiction). A lot. I lift weights but have been doing that for decades so don't consider it a hobby. My only two "hobbies" currently are taking delicious midday naps and reading at my favorite deserted outdoor cafe. Yesterday, it was absolutely magical reading under big outdoor umbrellas while the grey afternoon sky drizzled around me.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Your toys/hobbies ?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #122

Your toys/hobbies ?

Birds watching is my husband hobby. I guess, he needs more time to decompress. I have a few books I like to read and have not touched since I've borrowed from the library. I wonder when this decompressing is going to end.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-10-2016, 12:20 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Hobbies? I don't want to do a d*mn thing.
+1
Not retired yet but I am of the same mind, my wife however may have other plans!
lounging in the pool, watching tv, playing computer games, eating and drinking, enjoying the company of my wife and selected friends and family....that really about covers my plans after I retire.
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #124

My wife is having a good time with her retirement playing tennis about 5 times a week, an occasional trip rock climbing, lately on a round-up on horseback, and soon a kayak trip in the northwest coast with daughter. She had to stop riding her motorcycle a couple of years ago due to some issues with her clutch hand. So recently we stumbled on a great deal for a top of the line Can-Am Spyder with automatic and less than 2k miles for half the price the original buyer paid. She has wanted one for quite a few years. Now she is riding again to her tennis. I hope to be back on my motorcycle in a couple of months so we can take a trip together. She worked hard for many years and it makes me happy she has the opportunity to enjoy her retirement.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

I love to see all the vacuum tubes!

I just sold my tube stereo amplifiers and pre-amp to simplify things in my stereo room.

My pre-ER hobbies are - home audio, telescopes, biking, and fishing. Fishing has been pushing aside golf but I predict a comeback this summer for golf.
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Birds watching is my husband hobby.
I too enjoy bird watching...until the boyfriends start to give me the stink eye.

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Anyone interested in old electronics might also like this thread/forum I stumbled upon.

https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...gs-etc.755959/
-ERD50
Better keep your hands in your pockets if you ever tour that place.
manerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I too enjoy bird watching...until the boyfriends start to give me the stink eye.

That's what sunglasses are for.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #129

Recently acquired toy(s), just back from a weeklong VT/NY trip with wife and the 2 dogs. So far great..... ER in 5 months and counting.... have to "practice" now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (28.1 KB, 25 views)
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
Recently acquired toy(s), just back from a weeklong VT/NY trip with wife and the 2 dogs. So far great..... ER in 5 months and counting.... have to "practice" now....

I hope you had a good time up here in Vermont.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
Would be interesting to hear 1) what folks who have ER'ed have for hobbies toys and 2) Did dream of have "all the time in the world" for your interests before you ER'ed and how has it been since you did?

Back when I w*rked, I was into long-distance bicycling -- randonneuring, century+ rides, that sort of thing. I'd go out on training rides at sunrise before I went into work, or bike to and from work (15 miles each way, which back then was nothin' for me). Much of my weekends were devoted to riding. I longed for the day when I had all the time I wanted to be out on my bike.

Quote:
I ask that because sometimes we think nirvana is to have all the "free" time we want, but then when we do our interests change. Has that happened to anyone? Lost interest, or picked things that you never thought of?

Funny you should ask.
For a variety of reasons, I started losing interest in bicycling. Well, I didn't lose interest entirely, but I definitely became disenamored (is that a word?) with the long distance stuff. Back when I was in the thick of it, I would have killed to be in the situation I'm in now. But now that I have all the time in the world to be out on stupid-long rides, it just doesn't appeal anymore. Oh well.

I now enjoy hiking, and I recently started kayaking. My bikes glare at me when I occasionally dust the cobwebs off them, but they'll get over it.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Back when I w*rked, I was into long-distance bicycling -- randonneuring, century+ rides, that sort of thing. I'd go out on training rides at sunrise before I went into work, or bike to and from work (15 miles each way, which back then was nothin' for me). Much of my weekends were devoted to riding. I longed for the day when I had all the time I wanted to be out on my bike.

Funny you should ask.
For a variety of reasons, I started losing interest in bicycling. Well, I didn't lose interest entirely, but I definitely became disenamored (is that a word?) with the long distance stuff. Back when I was in the thick of it, I would have killed to be in the situation I'm in now. But now that I have all the time in the world to be out on stupid-long rides, it just doesn't appeal anymore. Oh well.

I now enjoy hiking, and I recently started kayaking. My bikes glare at me when I occasionally dust the cobwebs off them, but they'll get over it.
I used to really enjoy biking before I retired. Like you, I lost interest in biking, but hike and kayak. Now I'm getting back into biking 2 years into retirement. So don't throw away your bikes - your interests will probably change and you'll want to get back into biking.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #133

The nice thing is when your interests change, you can enjoy the new interest. Renaissance people, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote