Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We are retiring in August, me at 52 DW at 49. We still have a 10 yo son that we homeschool. I want to spend lots of time with him. I also hope to have a lot more time for my other favorite outdoor activities; fly and bass fishing, duck hunting, camping, mountain biking, and coaching youth football. Gosh. I hope I have the time to do all this stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Golf, photography, guitars and playing music, reading, motorcycle riding, grandkids.

Been retired going on ten years and it still seems I don't have the time I need to do all the things I need to get done.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Golf
2. 18th Century music performance (harpsichord, baroque flute, recorder)
3. Astrophotography
4. Bicycling (mostly just to get some aerobic exercise)
5. Reading - mostly non-fiction, some sci-fi
6. Lawn/garden chores

As to the last, when we were looking to move out of our townhouse into something more suited to retirement, DW said, "You hate lawn chores." My answer was, truthfully, "When I am working, I hate lawn chores. When I am retired, that will change." That's been the case
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #24
gone traveling

weight lifting, golf, softball, reading, and my latest new hobby, long distance rifle shooting. Used to shoot competitive pistol matches, but quit due to vision issues seeing metal sights clearly, but no problem with a high power scope.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
weight lifting, golf, softball, reading, and my latest new hobby, long distance rifle shooting. Used to shoot competitive pistol matches, but quit due to vision issues seeing metal sights clearly, but no problem with a high power scope.
You would go nuts at my local gun club.
They have a 600 yard range where only iron sights are allowed -- no scopes!

Not for me, but we have quite a sizable contingent that loves it and uses it often.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #26

Cycling, vegetable gardening, cooking, reading, and trying to maintain or improve my foreign language knowledge.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #27

I was active with radio control airplanes for almost 20 years but that interest faded after retirement. I'm not sure why - maybe it was a stress reliever to go down in the basement and build an airplane from a box of wood. After retirement I built one airplane but never flew it. Ended up selling/giving away everything but the small tools - those come in handy for other stuff.

So for now it is photography, I go off & on with that, reading, gym, and just putzing around. If we had trails around here I could pick up bicycling but the roads are not suitable for that so I don't, and DW has no interest in it.

I did learn to mount and frame my photographs. Bought a couple of books on framing/mat cutting, bought the mat cutter and went from there. There is a reason the frame shops charge so much - even with computer guided mat cutters it is still labor intensive. I spent about $500 on the manual mat cutter and mats but having the dozen or so done that I have would be three times that much at least.

The brick building photo is of the railroad roundhouse in Martinsburg, WV. There is some history to it - it changed hands many times during the Civil War. The army controlling it also controlled RR shipping for several hundred miles around.

The other photo is of DW's grandnieces a few years ago. They had added on to the deck and the kids were playing on the new stairs. DW loves photos like that and those two (13"x19") are hanging in her nephew's living room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg framed_photo.jpg (88.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg framed_photo_2.jpg (162.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a house in town and a house out on the river. I cut grass, and cut grass.

A Bennington tritoon boat and a Waverunner are hanging in the boathouse.

We also keep a new fifth wheel camper in the North Georgia mountains.

I'm finishing rebuilding a balcony on the lake house with screen porches up and down. It's been a 1 year job.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #29

I'm only 4 months into FIRE, so my hobbies now are pretty much what they were while still w*rking. But I do have more time for them! I can see delving into new interests in the future though.

I have a small backyard garden that does reasonably well and is both a source of satisfaction and frustration (sometimes).

I love listening to music and have what I think is a very good audio system - so I'm an audio enthusiast and music lover.

I practice/teach martial arts, so 2 times a week I'm at the dojo leading classes. Sometimes I travel to train at seminars or attend events which are quite rewarding.

And - per my username - I'm an avid BBQ-nut. I'm getting pretty darn good (according to my family!) at it too. I enjoy the whole process from planning, prepping, and q'ing. That and the nods and grunts of approval when things turn out just right.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
...A Bennington tritoon boat and a Waverunner are hanging in the boathouse.....
I feel like a pauper. My Bennington is only a pontoon and it sits in the water next to the dock and my Honda jet ski is on a lift... I would love a boathouse!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Hiking, biking, pontooning, kayaking, photography, woodworking, house projects, yard work, brewing, and flying my quadcopter. I'm going to start doing my own car maintenance and repairs if I can find the time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I feel like a pauper. My Bennington is only a pontoon and it sits in the water next to the dock and my Honda jet ski is on a lift... I would love a boathouse!
I am almost a pauper, too. The average new boathouse on our lake has a concrete deck over the boat and a concrete deck down low. $60K for a single boathouse and almost $100K for a double. They seldom build wooden structures any longer.

It'd be hard to retire throwing money around like that.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #33
gone traveling

I retired 30 days ago...bought the concours a week before retiring. first week was 11 states and canada, picking up the trailer in canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 167.jpg (660.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20150504_194241.jpg (450.5 KB, 38 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #34
gone traveling

the wife and I are both campers, hence the 'need' for the trailer. the wife prefers to camp out of the Miata
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150505_174533.jpg (981.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_162353.jpg (611.4 KB, 41 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Before ER I bought an SUV with 4WD to take road trips, with room for golf clubs, which I also bought. Since ER I have bought a cooler and more golf equipment. I have also been doing more home cooking and have acquired better pots and pans and a few more kitchen gadgets.

That's about it, really.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Did some time lapse photography and brewing yesterday. It's great doing 2 different hobbies at the same time.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Did some time lapse photography and brewing yesterday. It's great doing 2 different hobbies at the same time.

Might want to cut back on the caffeine...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

My screen name STRONGLY hints at what my #1 hobby is...and yes, I have a small fleet of them. Makes sense when this is your front yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (549.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
My screen name STRONGLY hints at what my #1 hobby is...and yes, I have a small fleet of them. Makes sense when this is your front yard.
Awesome front yard, and photo too!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Current hobbies include golf, listening to music, and watching my 4k TV (and making my own 4k videos). ER hobbies will be everything I do now + reading, gardening, trading (stocks), traveling. I would not have enough time at ER.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote