Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

"You're too young to retire!"

"I'm too retired to work!"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
*Looks at his kitty with glee and rubs hands together*

"Here kitty, kitty!"
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. And when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat; the two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I'm starting to get tired of that question and dread having to deal with it. What comebacks does anyone else use that ends this stupid conversation quickly? Are there any other threads here that deal with this subject that you know of?
"You know how you have things you want to do every weekday morning when you wake up, but you have to go to work? That's what I do all day. If I keep at it, then by the time Saturday & Sunday roll around I'm caught up and I can take the weekend off."

There's also the classic but hackneyed "In case of what?" or "Frankly I don't understand how I ever found the time to go to work" or "Well, I'm still a spouse/parent/dedicated member of my community-- how 'bout you?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:59 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Since I retired, I have been keeping track of my activities on a calendar. I do it not so much for planning but rather for journalizing purposes.

When someone asks what I do all day, I simply pull my calendar out. People quickly get the idea that I don't need a job to keep busy.

For the month of June, for example, my calendar looked like that:

I'm gonna need a vacation soon!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"You know how you have things you want to do every weekday morning when you wake up, but you have to go to work? That's what I do all day. If I keep at it, then by the time Saturday & Sunday roll around I'm caught up and I can take the weekend off."
Exactly. I just say, "You know what you do on Saturdays and Sundays? Well, on a typical day in retirement I do the same sort of stuff I used to do on Saturdays and Sundays, but now I have a little more time to do it."

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. And when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat; the two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Post of the day.

After you get the patent can I work on marketing of this?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I tried this a few times but it started to irritate me. After all, every day is different and I don't feel inclined to have to account for my time. Did this for 35 years when working. I rather like the response " only what I want" instead.
I was asked a lot of times at work, "what will you do when you retire?", to which I replied, "anything I want".

Since I've been retired, I never get asked what I do all today because we disappear for weeks or months at a time.

We've been in England this last few months and we meet lots of folks who we chat with. When we tell them we are on holiday and they ask how long we've been here, or when we are going back, it is great to see their reactions (always good), as we are aged 55 and 56, looking far too young to be retired. (Well, DW looks too young to be ER'ed )
Old 07-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have a bunch of things that are free for seniors. I have been getting the seniors discount on my haircuts since I was 55. Sometimes the bus driver will ask for proof and I just shake his hand and thank him. The ferries are free during the week and we have to supply proof (a Gold Healthcare card). That saves $28 each time.

A few years ago, we were celebrating a friend's 55yo birthday and I treated them to a cruise in their harbour. Turns out they offer the discount at 55 and so he got the earliest discount ever!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD
Since I retired, I have been keeping track of my activities on a calendar. I do it not so much for planning but rather for journalizing purposes.

When someone asks what I do all day, I simply pull my calendar out. People quickly get the idea that I don't need a job to keep busy.

For the month of June, for example, my calendar looked like that:

I'm gonna need a vacation soon!
I'm not retired yet, but I do a similar thing using a website called idonethis.com

It emails me every night, and I reply to the email with what I did that day, and it automatically lists it on a calendar. It,s pretty nice having months of searchable history to know when a certain event, etc happened. And I'm the type that wouldn't do it daily, except for the email reminder that keeps me on task.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Words you don't hear everyday: giant buttered cat array

Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FD, I keep an informal calendar in an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my activities, mainly in the school year when my School Scrabble volunteer work is in full stride. My visits to schools as well as the tourneys I run are not on any regular basis, so I have to keep track of them. The college square dance class I help out with has an occasional day off in the school calendar. And the school calendars themselves vary, as one is a college and one is a private (religious) grade school. My own evening square dancing was pretty regular from week to week but sometimes I had conflicts between that and my school Scrabble stuff.

This spreadsheet I first developed when I was still working so I could juggle more easily my work days and my other activities.

Something I often told those who were impressed at my being an early retiree:

"If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I bet this only happens to men. People aren't surprised when a woman doesn't go to work. When I go shopping on a weekday, I see women wandering around everywhere, taking their good ole time, obviously in no hurry to get someplace, no kids in sight...I often wonder, "How did I get stuck earning my living? What secret of life was imparted to those women, that I never learned?"

(Then again, maybe they all work weekends, and I'm just seeing them on their days off).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I've been retired for 2 years now and currently 55 years old. In the last week I've had at least 2 people ask me "What do you do all day?". ?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I bet this only happens to men. People aren't surprised when a woman doesn't go to work. When I go shopping on a weekday, I see women wandering around everywhere, taking their good ole time, obviously in no hurry to get someplace, no kids in sight...I often wonder, "How did I get stuck earning my living? What secret of life was imparted to those women, that I never learned?"
No doubt this is correct, though there are hard-charging women who act as if they look down on women taking the other track. I sometimes wonder about the honesty of this stance.

A couple of days ago I was having a conversation with a young guy at an oyster bar. He asked what I did, and I told him I was retired. He said his parents were probably about my age, and his Dad was working but his Mother had retired about 5 years ago. He said she goes out to lunch with friends, goes out to dinner with friends, plays cards with friends... while his Dad brings home the money. He was of the opinion that if his Dad retired he would be greeted in the front hallway when he got back from his retirement dinner with the "Honey-Do" list. He also said that if his Dad tried to exert some control over how his Mother spent her time he would quickly come to grief. They have a maid, Momma doesn't even have to clean house or prepare meals.

As you might suspect, this guy was not married and had no urgent plans to become so.

Ha
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

What I mean. How do you get to be this kind of Momma, where everybody tiptoes around and worries about what you'll think or do?? I realize it's way too late for me, but I still wonder what their secret is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
He also said that if his Dad tried to exert some control over how his Mother spent her time he would quickly come to grief. They have a maid, Momma doesn't even have to clean house or prepare meals.

Ha
Old 07-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No doubt this is correct, though there are hard-charging women who act as if they look down on women taking the other track. I sometimes wonder about the honesty of this stance.

A couple of days ago I was having a conversation with a young guy at an oyster bar. He asked what I did, and I told him I was retired. He said his parents were probably about my age, and his Dad was working but his Mother had retired about 5 years ago. He said she goes out to lunch with friends, goes out to dinner with friends, plays cards with friends... while his Dad brings home the money. He was of the opinion that if his Dad retired he would be greeted in the front hallway when he got back from his retirement dinner with the "Honey-Do" list. He also said that if his Dad tried to exert some control over how his Mother spent her time he would quickly come to grief. They have a maid, Momma doesn't even have to clean house or prepare meals.

As you might suspect, this guy was not married and had no urgent plans to become so.

Ha
So his mother retired 5 years ago and now a maid is employed to do traditional "women's work" like cooking and cleaning? How long did she work? Is this an unreasonable expense for this household? The story would come across very different if the man retired, the woman continued to work, and a maid was hired to cook and clean.

I suspect there's another side to this story. I'd have to have a chat with his mom before coming to any conclusions. Based on the facts presented and this guy's attitude toward his mother, I'd have no urgent plans to form a relaltionship with him if I were young and single.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I retired early I lived just outside a small town. I actually had people confront me with this selfish decision, in the supermarket or feed store. It got less frequent as I got older, and as more early retirees from California and elsewhere moved into this very scenic place. The overal cure for it is age, but today even at 70 people's default assumption is that I am working. To me this is not hard to explain. People feel more kinship to those with whom they share more experience. If 10 guys start their day with acid stomachs, and the 11th sleeps till he wakes up and goes out to sit on the deck, he is kind of an odd man out and will not be as likely to be accepted as one of the guys. This causes no resentment of struggle in me, as I realize that I would likely feel the same way

Ha
O.K. ok year after next I will have racked up 20 years of ER. Should I surrender to survivors guilt and get a j-- OR GO BACK TO W--- possibly risking my current good health.

heh heh heh - my bib overalls make me look older. Plus many 'assume' I still work at something.

P.S. I kept a low profile and called myself unemployed age 49 - 55 til the first pension check made me 'official'.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
O.K. ok year after next I will have racked up 20 years of ER. Should I surrender to survivors guilt and get a j-- OR GO BACK TO W--- possibly risking my current good health.

heh heh heh - my bib overalls make me look older. Plus many 'assume' I still work at something.

P.S. I kept a low profile and called myself unemployed age 49 - 55 til the first pension check made me 'official'.
I love bib overalls Unclemick. It's my Kansas roots.

heh heh heh
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The story would come across very different if the man retired, the woman continued to work, and a maid was hired to cook and clean.
I suspect a man in this situation would be severely criticized for voluntarily retiring before "the little woman" since our societal norms are for the man to remain in harness until he drops. To retire first and then not take over all household duties would make it all the worse.

Perhaps changes to women's roles over the past few decades have tempered this, but I think there are still strong cultural norms in place. I think we had a thread on this a while back which was a discussion of the issues involved when a man voluntarily retires before his wife. Can't find it right now.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Based on the facts presented and this guy's attitude toward his mother, I'd have no urgent plans to form a relaltionship with him if I were young and single.
Like they say, there's a boy for every girl, but not every boy.

Ha
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

The day I walked out the door from Megacorp for the last time and officially considered myself retired was one of the happiest days of my life.