1 or 2 years?

livingalmostlarge

Recycles dryer sheets
We aren't ER, but downshifting. I found an old thread of mine and realized that it's been almost a year and last year I just was thinking of ER, now we've settled on moving without jobs to a new location and seeing what happens.

So since last June
home equity $200k, now $250k (conservatively)
Retirement $385k, $500k
Taxable $140k, $225k
College $10k, $14k

I know we're saving probably around $60k/year and we're still living on $65k. So right now we are deciding do we cut bait and move summer 2015 or wait till summer 2016.

Reasons to move 2015 - DD1 starts kindergarden, tired of where we are, ready to start fresh

Reasons to stay 2016 - sabbatical summer 2015, pad our nest egg another year and potentially another $100k.

I don't have a retirement budget yet but I use $60k as our expenses and we'd need $1.5M conservatively I might say $2M for security. We're about half way there and on track to probably ER by 45 or 10 years.

So should we stay 1 or 2 years?

Do you have a better idea of what you are moving toward? Your question asks "when" but "why" is important.

If you really are so bored that you're content to chuck it all, move to a new place and "see what happens", you may as well do so as soon as possible.

Get a job, then move. If I remember right from your other posts, you are a SAHM with a PhD? I would put my kids in daycare / pay a friend to watch them during the week and interview for jobs outside my current state. Then your DH can quit his job and you'd move knowing you have at least one income lined up.

Or look for work online / start an online business so you have at least one income you can take with you. One of my friends has work at home paid forum moderator job for a software corporation. Unless you are FI, personally I would not move and then hope something turns up jobwise. Hope alone isn't a good plan. It is better to add in the plan for the worst part.

Back
Top Bottom