Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $100,000 and other good news
Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! All your base are belong to us, make your time!

100k in investable felt great. Since then my investible has gone up to ~120k but my NW is down because the housing market crash. But I'm not selling so it's only on paper.

EDIT: Whoa, make that $126,591.23 - boy, between compounding and contributing, this thing really starts to pick up steam!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
I'm 31 and have about 65K in the retirement accounts. Now that my home is paid off I"m hoping to add 50K per year. I like it when the market is up, as I can get into work and find out I've already made $500 from the markets....heee heee. Now of course this is a bad way of looking at things since the markets have done well lately, but it makes the days go by faster.
Dang, 31 and your house is paid off?? Way to go! That must be nice. You'll be able to make some huge contributions to your nest egg now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Congrats! All your base are belong to us, make your time!

100k in investable felt great. Since then my investible has gone up to ~120k but my NW is down because the housing market crash. But I'm not selling so it's only on paper.

EDIT: Whoa, make that $126,591.23 - boy, between compounding and contributing, this thing really starts to pick up steam!
How long ago did you hit $100K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman
What a bunch of money whores we are
Yes, that is the absolute truth. When you have a major life goal (FIRE) that is totally dependent upon money, you tend to think a lot about money. But it's okay. We're not obsessed with money for its own sake, or because we want to buy mansions and Lamborghinis (well, actually I would like to have a Lambo, preferably this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E-GEA...QQcmdZViewItem), but because we want more time to spend on the things in life that really matter. If I need to be a money whore to reach that goal, then I'm okay with that.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

first off, thank you all who congradulated me on what I've done so far. I actually took a moment to pat myself on the back. considering that I'm usually thinking & crunching numbers, it felt good to take a moment to be pleased at how I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
I'm 31 and have about 65K in the retirement accounts. Now that my home is paid off I"m hoping to add 50K per year.
wow, I can't even imagine owning a home. I live in nyc right now, & although my rent is EXTREMELY reasonable for my situation (I split $1200 for a 1 bedroom w/my bf ), I don't see myself as buying a home anytime in the next, oh, 10 years. even though I crave one, probably the way that most women crave a baby. but it doesn't seem to make sense to buy in nyc without a HUGE down payment, or 100% down.

eventually, I plan to leave here though, & I'm depending on being able to cash out on some of my investments, to buy a small home. As I'm sharing 550 sq ft with a boyfriend & 2 cats, that shouldn't be too hard. I think I might even like one of those 50k mini-homes - less cleaning!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I hit 100k hmm...almost a year ago, or has it been a year? Anyway, that's 14k more in contributions plus 12k in returns. This year ('07) I noticed returns outpacing contributions, which is also very cool.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I hit 100k hmm...almost a year ago, or has it been a year? Anyway, that's 14k more in contributions plus 12k in returns. This year ('07) I noticed returns outpacing contributions, which is also very cool.
I've noticed that as well in my own accounts. It's a nice feeling to know that eventually your investments will be able to steam along under their own power (or snowball down the mountain -- pick your metaphor).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

I remember the joy of when I first hit 100K. I'm now right around 400k retiring in about ten years hopefully. All I did was save 10% of my income into my thrift savings plan at work, they also chipped in 5%. Never saved a lot in my life just took advantage of my 401k. Luckily I will also get a small pension from the federal government that should allow me to retire at 56. We'll see.

Jason
Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've noticed this also more and more lately. I always heard it takes money to make money. Now I know what they were talking about!! Our net worth passed $1.25 million in March and it keeps magically growing....
Old 04-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
I've noticed this also more and more lately. I always heard it takes money to make money. Now I know what they were talking about!! Our net worth passed $1.25 million in March and it keeps magically growing....
I don't have that big of a snowball just yet, but I can already see the momentum even on my rather pathetic portfolio. I've had a $3k capital appreciation in my main retirement account this year. That's more than I saved my entire first year out of school!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got my paper statement for my principal post tax account.
The sum of income + dividends + capital gains = annual expenses.
Next goal: income + dividends = annual expenses.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Any updates to this thread. At the time of this thread, the market was rallying and everybody was experiencing nice gains.
Does anybody care to share their experiences from the last 3 years?

Cheers, The Dude.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
On the plus side we've been on RV trips to New Mexico, Colorado, Arkansas and numerous trips within Texas. We've also been on a cruise to Key West and the Bahamas and celebrated the birth of our fifth grandchild.

In the bad experience column, I lost my brother to lung cancer and my FIL to a stroke. I've also been deeply involved with our neighbors in lobbying against the state approving permits for a rock quarry next to our subdivision.

Oh, and my portfolio has been up and down and up and down...

What type of experiences have you had, Dude?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

When these ancient threads are exhumed revived it's always interesting to see who's wandered off.

We made a couple Mainland college trips, swapped out tenants in our rental home and did a lot of upgrades to the place, completed some major home improvements, finished expanding our photovoltaic array, bought a bunch of stuff like a used Prius and other Craigslist bargains, and did a lot of surfing.

Oh, yeah, and there was that 58% drop in our ER portfolio. But that's come back in the last year.

The last of our three-year 6.25% PenFed CDs matures in a couple weeks. Ouch.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I still haven't tapped my portfolio, am working on it.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When these ancient threads are exhumed revived it's always interesting to see who's wandered off.
And sometimes more interesting to see who's wandered in.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Mmmm, let's see. Three years later and our net worth is now $1.44 million. Growing in the right direction but not without hiccups . Last year when it seemed like everyone was selling and putting their cash under their mattress, we were buying buying buying. On the personal side, we now have two kids, DH started a new job in 2008 and I'm currently on my one-year maternity leave and not sure if I'll be going back to work in November.....
Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #56
Administrator

I managed to retire right on schedule and I am doing fine financially.

What's not to like?

I, too, wonder about old threads that are dredged up when the original participants may not all be around to respond. I wasn't even a member here when this thread was begun. Just thought you'd like to know how I'm doing anyway...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any Does anybody care to share their experiences from the last 3 years?
Financially, I have more money now than I've ever had.....and pension checks have been coming in for over a year.

Personally, I've experienced too much loss.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Any updates to this thread. At the time of this thread, the market was rallying and everybody was experiencing nice gains.

Cheers, The Dude.
Three years ago at this time, I began my reduced P/T work schedule, going from working 3 days (20 hours) per week to 2 days (12 hours) per week. While this helped relieve the stress related to my awful commute, getting me home an hour earlier on the 2 days I made the trip, I knew there was a good chance this would not be enough. I was stepping up my plans to retire early, by the end of 2008.

Because I switched from 20 hours to 12 hours, I became ineligible for my company's group health plan, going to COBRA instead (for 18 months). I offered to pay 100% of the premiums instead of the 50% I had been paying sine I began working P/T in 2001, but they balked because I was now part of a "high-risk" pool of people near Medicare age (not me, I was only 44 at the time) who were working less than 20 hours per week, so it was not fiscally affordable. I told them they were providing subsidized health insurance for hundreds of people who did not even work for the company such as retirees, spouses, and children of covered employees (regardless of age or degree of risk) so why couldn't they offer coverage to me, someone who was actually working for the company?

On the personal portfolio side, I was nearing the $1M mark in investments, most of which was retirement accounts. [It took a dive in 2008.] The company's stock value was still rising quickly so if/when it got to the $300k mark, I felt I could cash it out at low, cap gains rates (NUA). That happened in late 2008 so I retired.

I did pierce the $1M mark in investments in late April 2010, but the declining market has pulled me below that mark again. Oh well. As long as I am getting about "the big nickel" per share on my big bond fund's monthly dividend (from the company's cashed-out ESOP), I will do just fine. And I am.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I really enjoy these "reflective" threads. Gives people on the thread a chance to learn from others experiences by them recapping their life over this period.
Being the first person in my family to ever have a FIRE goal, I'm very interested in these experiences from people that are doing it first hand.
As a younger man, I always wanted a book written by my elders of "If I knew then what I know now" type of stuff.

Cheers!

PS. I didn't mean to drudge up an old thread. When I started my other thread on a closely related topic, this thread was suggested at the bottom of the page. My apologies if this is frowned upon in these boards.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Cheers, The Dude.
Compared to 3 years ago, our finances are markedly better. Our income and net worth are up 100+%. Yes, we were hosed in 2008 (29% loss), but with some aggressive investing in late 2008/early 2009, we did great in 2009 (62% gain) and, despite the latest slump, we are still doing fine in 2010 (24% gain YTD).

What has changed? We work even harder than 3 years ago and we are starting to feel burned out. This has prompted us to modify our FIRE plans and consider semi early-retirement. SER will allow us to start slowing down much earlier than originally planned while postponing withdrawals from the nest egg.