Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
Since I had another thread in here when I hit my $250k about 2 months ago, I'll chime in - I'm back under and will need to schedule another small celebration when I get back over it in a month or two. barring disaster, i'm contributing enough and saving enough to offset the losses. That and the second summer job on boats ramping up means more income for a few months as well. That money is paying for a trip to Nice, France this fall after the sailing season is over :-) priorities after all!

seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
Like several other 'Young Dreamers' here, we're still in the accumulation even though we experienced the market swings we are well ahead of where we were 3 years ago with the help of continued automatic investments.

I learned that we had the correct risk tollerance for a 80% stock allocation in our portfolio and fortunately we stayed the course throughout.

....but even I got a little nervous when the DOW was under 7000

jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
Three years ago I had just left an awful job situation with a six-month transition plan in place (had funding for intensive language study, which also supported the career-planning/job searching period I needed). I was considering many different options, including doing my own start-up. We had moved to a new city and were pretty stressed out working out long-term housing and school options for our two kids. It was good to be out of the awful job situation though. Our nw was closing in on the 1mm mark -- the fact that investments were doing so well combined with the fact that we had a large cash stash was one of the main reasons I felt comfortable walking away from the old job with nothing definite in place to follow it up with.

Three years later I have a job I am much happier in -- great boss, great co-workers, much less stress. The kids are in schools we are happy with, too, and seem to be prospering there. We bought a condo at the low point in the market last year -- sunk a big hunk of our cash stash into that, and took on a substantial mortgage besides. But it paid off as values have almost doubled since we bought it. We could not buy or rent a similar place today for what we are paying. Net worth, including equity in the condo at current market prices, is now over 1.7mm. We continue to max retirement contributions and put substantial amounts in the kids college accounts, and still have some savings left on top of that. Still have a sizable cash stash in the event DH's job goes south (mine is pretty secure).

All in all it has been a rollercoaster three years, but mostly a fun and pleasant ride.

lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.
Three years ago, we were nearing the finish line on an aggressive 2 1/2 year campaign to pay off all our debt except the house. We then decided to make a major change in preparation for an earlier retirement by selling our house and taking advantage of a low cost rental arrangement through my company. This has really enabled us to ratchet up the savings rate.

We rode out the downturn DCA with our contributions and occasionally re-balancing toward a more comfortable (for us) 50/50 AA. 2 1/2 more years to go until DB pension and retiree medical, but I'll likely stay 5 more years to enhance the pension amount and build additional savings. DW chose to semi-ER this year.

"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote