Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $100k Milestone!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Goals for 2006 - at age 62/63 - learn to lighten up and not be such a cheap bastard :

Repeat to myself - you're not going to take it with you ten times a day.

The first twelve years of ER were kind of fun though and spending is still emotionally painful.

But a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Perhaps a snappy new kayak or something.

Heh heh heh heh heh.
Good morning unclemick.........................before I got up today I was
thinking about the "you can't take it with you" thing. It's tricky.
I am making a bunch of moves now that
MAY reduce our meager stash.
OTOH, coordinating dreams/needs and "sleep-at-night"
safety is what ER (and this forum) is all about.

If you do buy a kayak, I suggest you stock it with wheat bread.
It's the preferred food of loafers.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I popped my $250K barrier briefly a few days ago, but ended up a bit short once the year drew to a close, at roughly $248,500.* However, that's just my "primary investments" figure (401ks, IRA, mutual funds, stocks).* Add in my checking account, savings bonds, and Emigrant-Direct account and the grand total is more like $337,000.

So, does anybody have their 2006 year-end goals set yet?* For me, I'd like to see my "primary investments" top $300,000, while my "grand total" I'd like to see pop the $400,000 mark.
I'd like to ease out of individual stocks and into actively-managed mutual funds. Most of my actively-managed funds were up substantially in 2005, and based upon past performance seem to be a safe(r) bet for increasing my net worth than riding the rollercoaster of individual stocks. Put differently, I'd like to leave stockpicking to the professionals.

Now that my current work situation is relatively stable, I'd also like to take the plunge into owning real estate in the form of a decent-sized primary residence. Since the real estate market is beginning to turn a bit in the D.C. area, I can afford to take my time.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #103

Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #104

My "goal" is to contribute $48,000 to investment accounts, and pay down the mortgage principal by a few thousand extra dollars. I can't really set a "net worth goal", since I don't know how international and domestic indexes will perform.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #105
Confused about dryer sheets

So, does anybody have their 2006 year-end goals set yet?
2006 goals-----------------
Retirement Savings -- $250k
Debt reduced -- All but house and cars
Try to buy another piece of property, besides residence
Old 01-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #106

My goal is to live through the year; pay off some more principal, pay down DW's stock loan, w@rk another year to sock away another 20%, do some additional home remodeling including replace driveway ($$$$) Yikes! concrete prices have gone through the roof here and contractors are on a waiting list. Supply and demand. I will wait and see if the housing boom here slows down enough to modulate the concrete prices down some by then. I can't go another winter or the whole thing is going to cave in.

No specific investment goals in mind, just keep on keeping on and adding to the pile.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

My financial goal this year is to add another 25K to my retirement and other money assets. I'm not sure how possible this will be. I have 50K in total savings, and save about $1200/month. I should be able to get some extra in there somewhere through tax returns and some extra money from work.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our goal for 2006 is for our net worth to hit $975K which should be doable because it's at $938K right now. I would love for us to hit $1 million but we went shopping for the baby on the weekend and I have a feeling this kid is going to be expensive
Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Our goal for 2006 is for our net worth to hit $975K which should be doable because it's at $938K right now.* I would love for us to hit $1 million but we went shopping for the baby on the weekend and I have a feeling this kid is going to be expensive*
Congrat's you now have enough money to raise the Kid.

Well maybe!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #110

Quote:
Our goal for 2006 is for our net worth to hit $975K which should be doable because it's at $938K right now.* I would love for us to hit $1 million but we went shopping for the baby on the weekend and I have a feeling this kid is going to be expensive*
Very impressive. Congratulations on amassing such an amount at your age.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is that Canadian or US dollars? Either way, great job!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
Out of curiosity, is that Canadian or US dollars?* Either way, great job!
Canadian dollars (DH refers to it as monopoly money though since it's so colourful :P )
Old 01-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #113

Quote:
Canadian dollars (DH refers to it as monopoly money though since it's so colourful* :P )
That's still $800k USD...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

~nothing like hitting a goal! congrats.... remember to have the end game in mind. i will repost my short story for you if you dont mind:
I am 40, make over $400k per year and live in a 3 bedroom townhouse and in Honolulu free and clear with over $1million in my portfolio...can just about retire right now, but want my last kid done with school first....that does it for me...helps me sleep at night.
My Brother in New York is 43 makes about $1+ million per year, is building a $2.5 million dollar house , has tons of bills and probably has <$50k in the bank...and will be working to pay his bills off forever. i dont know how he sleeps at night....
~he wonders how I sleep at night living my simple life...
my point is THIS:

WHAT DOES IT FOR YOU IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN THE NEXT GUY.
~my words of wisdom is that being simple is a Blessing,
having the need for 'stuff' is a curse.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstu32
WHAT DOES IT FOR YOU IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN THE NEXT GUY.
~my words of wisdom is that being simple is a Blessing,
having the need for 'stuff' is a curse.
Couldn't be more true. I know a guy who makes more than $1million/year in the stock market and had recently to sell his $70.000 car because of debt.

It is really wonderful to be a simple person.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

BigMoneyJim....Congratulations on reaching this important milestone!!! I noticed that you seemed to get down on yourself a little bit though. You mentioned that you seemed to be the poor guy around here. How many people do you know personally (outside early retirement sites) that were debt free and had a net worth of 100k at age 35. I bet 9 out of 10 people that you know personally are in worse financial shape than you. Being one of the "poor" guys on this site is kind of like being one of the "dumb" guys at Harvard or MIT.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #117
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats BigMoneyJim,

You are way ahead of me at 35. You will be surprised by how fast the amount increases over the next decade!

Bear
Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdut
...Being one of the "poor" guys on this site is kind of like being one of the "dumb" guys at Harvard or MIT.
Very well said.

Gotta be careful who we compare ourselves to so we don't get discouraged.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearlyWorking
Congrats BigMoneyJim,

You are way ahead of me at 35.* You will be surprised by how fast the amount increases over the next decade!

Bear
True dat. Trust me, if you leave your money alone (and don't count it every day), you'll be amazed at how the amount becomes a larger and larger snowball over time.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
True dat. * Trust me, if you leave your money alone (and don't count it every day), you'll be amazed at how the amount becomes a larger and larger snowball over time.
Couldn't agree more. I've noticed that the saying "It takes money to make money" is very true