Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $100k Milestone!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

i also feel that the more money you have , the less risk you should take...

my personal view of course!

mahalo for all the info
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstu32
Only if you don't mind losing to inflation.

Over a five-six decade retirement that's cutting it too close for comfort.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

point well taken!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstu32

my personal view of course!

mahalo for all the info
Sort of depends on what you are saving it for. A big pile of $$ is great. A bigger pile of $$$ is better but at some point the pile is way more than you really need to fund your income needs and it then becomes a hoard.

Some of the folks here have done very well and have socked away multimillions. How much of that will be left on the table or sucked into the tax vacuum after they are gone? There seems to be a disconnect with some folks here with the goal of being FI so you can RE. The pile has become the goal and not the tool to get to RE.

Just my 2 cents on Friday the 13th.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #125
Dryer sheet aficionado

keep an old thread alive

Thought it would be fun to bring this thread back. Especially because looking through the archives I found my post when I was 29.

Now I'm 31 and hit another milestone...300K in various investments accounts. Given the recent stock market swings, I will actually be hitting that particular dollar amount more than once...going up and down!

And just for fun, here's an asset allocation...anyone want to comment? This is spread out across 401k, roth, and taxable accounts. Using taxable accounts b/c the 401k/roth is maxed out, and i didn't want to keep holding it as cash.

SP500 40%
Small cap 20%
REIT 8%
long-term bond 8%
VGTSX (vanguard international index) 12%
stock 1%
cash (the "6-month" savings) 11%
eryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryx View Post
Thought it would be fun to bring this thread back. Especially because looking through the archives I found my post when I was 29.

Now I'm 31 and hit another milestone...300K in various investments accounts. Given the recent stock market swings, I will actually be hitting that particular dollar amount more than once...going up and down!

And just for fun, here's an asset allocation...anyone want to comment? This is spread out across 401k, roth, and taxable accounts. Using taxable accounts b/c the 401k/roth is maxed out, and i didn't want to keep holding it as cash.

SP500 40%
Small cap 20%
REIT 8%
long-term bond 8%
VGTSX (vanguard international index) 12%
stock 1%
cash (the "6-month" savings) 11%
Seems like a very reasonable AA. What little I know about the bond portion would recommend short/int term bonds as you are poorly rewarded for interest rate risk for long term bonds. Of course if you are sitting on some good yielding ones in our current market I'd still be tempted to hold onto them...

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i remember how thrilled i was at the 100k point back in the 80's...it was an amazing feeling....
this year we broke 1.5 million but it wasnt the same feeling as the ole 100k....
Yep, like a drug, it takes more and more money to achieve the same high.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #128
Dryer sheet aficionado

It is VBLTX, Vanguard Long Term Bond Index, and it is in a roth. Its lifetime performance is (since 1994) is 2% better than short term bonds. Looks like you are correct about how things stand now, though, since the short term index is doing better than the long term index over the last year. Being that it is in a Roth, though, I'm more concerned about how it will do over 20-30 years...
eryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
Yep, like a drug, it takes more and more money to achieve the same high.
And they both can go up your nose....
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote